Schmapdi 1
I can't imagine anyone mustering much hate for any of these companies except Citigroup.

I would expect things like Walmart/Comcast/Big Banks/Oil Companies/Chik-fil-a to be on the list.

(i.e. - places that treat their employees like crap, treat their customers like crap, distort the political process, screwing everyone, or are known/thought to be homophobic/racists/etc)
Posted by Schmapdi on January 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
How is that list missing Comcast and Ticketmaster?
Posted by Conrad McMasters on January 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
The I don't care about Gen. Petreaus scandal because more stupid nonsensensical 'important' info has happened in the past few weeks Corporation.
Posted by dnt trust me on January 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Write in vote for Monsanto.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM · Report this
If you look how they decided this, it's based around things like customer satisfaction, consumer reports, etc. Most of the really hated corporations (Walmart, Monsanto, Chick-Fil-A, etc.) are hated by people who aren't actually customers. Most of these (T-Mobile, Dish, Facebook, banks) are corporations that offer a service that people can't/won't avoid, and then they complain about the shitty service. Dunno about J.C. Penney though.
Posted by redemma on January 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
well_now 6
Wow. I think the metrics they used to calculate these were the wrong ones. Comcast, Chase, Bank of America, and/or WalMart should probably be on there. JC Penny just seems so innocuous.
Posted by well_now on January 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Facebook? I thought everyone loved Facebook so much they'd willingly hand over all their privacy to use it, despite it being a completely non-essential service.
Posted by beef rallard on January 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
@6 ftw.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 9
I'm with @4
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on January 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Duh...Walmart
Posted by DYVI on January 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Eastpike 11
Home Depot, Century Link, University of Phoenix, Hewlett Packard (bastards!!), Delta Airlines.... etc.
Posted by Eastpike on January 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Pick1 12
Agreed.

Any list of hated companies that doesn't include WalMart in the top 5 isn't using the proper parameters.
Posted by Pick1 on January 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
CC-Rob 13
@4 +100000
Posted by CC-Rob on January 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
@1, 2, & 4 have listed my write-ins for most hated companies
Posted by Starmite on January 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 15
Sadly, people don't know enough about Monsanto to hate it very much. I'd guess that a good chunk of the country have no idea what it is.

A lot of my Iowa friends LOVE Wal-Mart. That JC Penney thing is just weird. Must be the Christian moms.

But for the life of me I can't understand why Bank of America and AT&T aren't on that list. But I may be biased because I have had two incredibly frustrating interactions with both of those companies just this morning.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
jnmend 16
T-Mobile? Serious?

I'm so happy I switched from AT&T to them.
Posted by jnmend on January 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this
How about Xe, the former Blackwater security apparatus? I mean, if selling crappy socks is bad, where does paramilitary thuggery rank?
Posted by podcaf on January 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 18
I know about Monsanto. I used to own 600 shares of it. Kept me awake at night owning it.

I still say it's @6 not @4.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
espato 19
Chase Bank.

Exxon.

Monsanto.
Posted by espato on January 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM · Report this
Walmart. I don't shop there because I hate them. They treat their employees like shit, among many reasons.
Posted by Bugnroolet on January 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Comcast. Comcast all the way with their anti-free speech campaigns. The internet is vital to everyone's happiness and future and Comcast is all about restricting and charging for the internet. JP Morgan Chase and Monsanto are in the running though.
Posted by AndyInChicago on January 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 22
Unless Comcast was # 6-10, this list is ridiculous. Who cares enough about JC Penney to hate them?
Posted by Max Solomon on January 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 23
BP
Goldman Sachs
Northern Tissue
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
pfffter 24
AT&T

Wal-Mart

Monsanto
Posted by pfffter on January 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
blip 25
Comcast and Chase, based entirely on my experience as a customer. Clear Channel, based entirely on radio sucking balls and Rush Limbaugh. Monsanto feels evil but I don't base this on knowledge or experience so much as it being the go-to brand for "Evil, Billion-Dollar, Multi-National Concern."
Posted by blip on January 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM · Report this
Comcast, Walmart and Wells Fargo are at the top of my list.
Posted by beep boop on January 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM · Report this
mkyorai 27
Comcast, as a long-time, reluctant customer. I can avoid big banks for the most part, and Penney doesn't seem to be worth the ire. I'm with @2 on Ticketmaster, too. Absolute parasites.
Posted by mkyorai on January 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Walmart, KBR, big banks, big pharma, big ag, etc, etc, etc.

WTF is wrong with JC Penney? #1? No way. Sense this does not make.
Posted by rainbird on January 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM · Report this
it's a win if you consider that they achieved their goal of expanding hate.
Posted by bageldog on January 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Baby Blue 30
There is so much wrong with this list that I'm not even going to waste my time reading up von how they reached these conclusions.

I love J.C. Penney. I don't often go to the mall but when I do, I shop there first. :)
Posted by Baby Blue on January 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Comcast.
Posted by MyPrivatesArePrivate on January 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Mittens Schrodinger 32
COMCAST!!! ARGH!
Posted by Mittens Schrodinger on January 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
SPG 33
All of Wall Street would be at the top of the list if this list wasn't compiled by Wall Street.
Posted by SPG on January 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM · Report this
@11, why Delta? It's true that they went through bankruptcy, using the opportunity to lay a bunch of people off and unilaterally change contracts. But that was a few years ago, and all the other big airlines have done the same thing (including AA doing it right now). And Delta has been one of the top-rated big companies in the HRC rankings for a long time now.
Posted by asd;rlfkjsdvj;kl on January 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
tainte 35
# 35 ftw
Posted by tainte on January 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Comcast.

Posted by dirge on January 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 37
Even if you're going by consumer satisfaction, and not overall corporate ethics and business practices, it's impossible to believe that JC Penney is number one and Comcast and AT&T don't even make the top five.
Posted by keshmeshi on January 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
biffp 38
I order Homeland Season 1 from Sears on Dec 20, and I still don't have it. That said, if Citi, BofA and Chase aren't your top 3, you need to read the latest Matt Taibi piece on the bailout in Rolling Stone. Those 3 banks now borrow for half a percentage point less because the market believes they have the backing of the US govt. They are too big to fail, and abusing customers, borrowers and regulators left and right.
Posted by biffp on January 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Big Matt G 39
Another vote for Comcast.
Posted by Big Matt G on January 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM · Report this
sasha 40
I would have voted Citigroup, but feared they would have me arrested for doing so.
Posted by sasha on January 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM · Report this
MetalHeadCrab 41
I am really surprised Comcast didn't make the list. Most people I talk to have nothing good to say about Comcast. Personally, I've had no problems with them at all.
Posted by MetalHeadCrab http://www.last.fm/user/MetalHeadCrab on January 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM · Report this
MetalHeadCrab 42
I voted T-Mobile.

T-Mobile has the shittiest network service and reliability. A friend will call me, on their end they hear the phone dialing/ringing and then it will go to voicemail. On my end the call never even registered, the phone never rang and I got a missed call notification on my phone. Later when I tell my friend I never received the call to begin with, they think I'm lying. The same thing happens to my out-of-state parents who have t-mobile as well as my friends. So its not limited to my phone/number, tower, state, whatever.

T-Mobile fucking sucks!
Posted by MetalHeadCrab http://www.last.fm/user/MetalHeadCrab on January 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM · Report this
I'd say Big Gold Sacks ... I mean ... Goldman Sachs, Chase, and the rest of the "Too-Big-To Fail's" that saddled the world economy with over 400-quadrillion in derivative fraud, while covering their ass by paying themselves trillions in secret, interest free loans from the Fed (with the full protection and complicity of government) are at the top of my list.

People should be lining up outside Lloyd Blankfein and Jamie Dimon's estates with torches and pitchforks, but unfortunately that that will never happen as long as the heads of these transnational, "vampire squid" banking cartels sit in positions above governments, instead of inside a prison cell.

Spindles would strongly urge everyone to read the most recent article by the excellent Matt Taibbi titled "Secrets and Lies of the Bailout". My only criticism would be his implication that the Federal government are merely stooges to the whims of the banks instead of active participants in the fraud.

Posted by Spindles on January 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM · Report this
lizlemon 44
As much as facebook sucks, I had to give my vote to t-mobile for the lone fact that I'm shelling out way too much money for a shitty phone with even shittier service. But hands down, the top place should be Comcast. Anyone who's had comcast (which is everyone) knows how awful and annoying it is dealing with their company.
Posted by lizlemon on January 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Madskillz80 45
Comcast, by far, has the worst service ever. I talked to at least 40 different CSR with a problem and got a different answer and NO help from any of them. EVIl. EVIL. EVIL. I don't understand the JC Penney Rating.
Posted by Madskillz80 on January 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
The Max 46
Citigroup once tried to recruit me to pay them for the privilege of selling insurance for them. It was my first encounter with the 'I pay you to do a shitty job scam' and I was flabbergasted at the audacity.
Posted by The Max on January 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 47
Idiotic list.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on January 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM · Report this
treacle 48
Other: Whichever sprawling corporate octopus it is that owns Disney.

Wait! I changed my mind: Whichever sprawling corporate octopus it is that owns most of our Senators and Representatives. Is it Quantum? I can never remember.
Posted by treacle on January 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
I would have expected Walmart, Chase, BoA, BP and Chik-Fil-A to be up there, given the current socio-political climate.

Also, they sucks.
Posted by ultrasuedecushion on January 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 50
Comcast will never make NBC's list.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on January 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Penneys, hated? Something went wrong with this list.
Posted by ryanmm on January 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM · Report this
Comcast obviously!
Posted by Ashley on January 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM · Report this
I hate Time-Warner Cable so much that I think my blood pressure spiked just thinking of what to write about them!
Posted by DanFan503 on January 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM · Report this
DickDave 54
Comcast, Comcast, Comcast, Comcast, and, oh yeah, Comcast.
Posted by DickDave on January 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
MrBaker 55
Other - I fucking hate The Seattle Times
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on January 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 56
Nationalize every bank that took the bailout money.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on January 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 57
This isn't hard. Think of the global damage done, not the irritations you may have encountered. A dropped call or a missed pay-per-view ain't the same as a mine full of dead workers.

Goldman Sachs
Walmart
KBR
Exxon
Massie
Posted by kk in seattle on January 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Monsanto.
Posted by fotoeve on January 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM · Report this
CookieKwon 59
Gah! How are these the top 5? T mobile is awesome & local!
Posted by CookieKwon on January 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM · Report this
KingofQueenAnne 60
I think JC Penney's mistake was beginning to sell themselves as something wildly unique and different without having first overhauled themselves. Kinda like photoshopping a thin version of your photo for a dating profile "cuz you're gonna lose weight in a couple months anyway." However how this made them the MOST hated company is beyond me.
Posted by KingofQueenAnne http://blingeejesus.blogspot.com on January 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM · Report this
Walmart, ticketmaster. Don't set foot in Walmart, haven't for years. Ticketmaster I use as absolute last resort.
Posted by Truefabrication on January 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 62
I used to have T-Mobile. No complaints.

Now I have AT&T. I am looking forward to switching providers.
Posted by Westlake, son! on January 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM · Report this
sissoucat 63
Disney, because they try to dumb down children the world over. And they convince girls that "princess" is the only valuable job prospect for a female.
And they are fucking fascists with their employees.

Monsanto, who strives for world hunger.

Posted by sissoucat on January 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM · Report this
Comcast, now and forever. Fuck their customer service and ridiculous prices.
Posted by breelligerent on January 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM · Report this
Comcast. They can burn in hell forever.
Posted by BlueComics on January 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM · Report this
I Fucked Your Dad 66
Walmart
Posted by I Fucked Your Dad on January 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM · Report this
Sprint. A company run by absolute morons.
Posted by WestSeven on January 23, 2013 at 5:42 AM · Report this
Seriously, guys, no mention of News Corp for dragging commercial news down to the lowest possible common denominator? Or Microsoft for making Washington its bitch?
Posted by PCM on January 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM · Report this
Why is JC Penney hated? I would add any Bain or Koch-owned company to that list.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on January 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM · Report this
Comcast. Verizon. Qwest (maybe CLink is better? doubtful). BP. Whoever the fuck owns Applebee's.
Posted by Madasshatter on January 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM · Report this
@41...the guy who hawks Comcast (oh, I'm sorry, I mean "Xfinity") services door-to-door in my neighborhood is very nice and remembers that I told him I would never be signing up for Comcast services again in my life, so he leaves me alone with the pitch, while still petting my dog as he walks by. There, that's the nicest thing I can say about Comcast.

Home Depot for sure...I have to live in a neighborhood with one of their stores and they're absolutely horrendous to the community, beyond their other evils. I had a terrible time with Sprint over many years. And of course, Walmart, the evil empire.
Posted by Ms. D on January 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Renton Mike 72
I'm a happy customer of both T-Mobile and Dish, so I don't know what either is doing there.
Posted by Renton Mike on January 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM · Report this
SEANIEPANTS 73
News Corp.
Posted by SEANIEPANTS on January 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM · Report this
lame list! I think Monsanto and Haleburton (not sure of spelling) should be the top two!
Posted by aelder on January 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
McGee 75
This list is all based on Wall Street humbuggery. I have been with T-Mobile for years. Never a single complaint.
Posted by McGee on January 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
lauramae 76
Comcast. The list of the ways they suck would be a whole new article.
Posted by lauramae on January 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM · Report this
Casa de Shapley 77
I definitely agree with all so listed Monsanto (evil, evil Borg); and with @57 above...
Posted by Casa de Shapley on January 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM · Report this
I can't believe no one mentioned the post office....ru kidding me,,,9 billion a year in bogus pensions and did yo uknow that UPS now moves their packages for them behind the scenes. These people are the ultimate corporate morons WITH a hook into your tax dollars...couldn't be more corrupt.
Posted by smarterthanyou on January 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM · Report this
I was a happy T-Mobil customer for 8 years until a dishonest rep told us nothing but lies on our last phone change. Free phones turned out to be not so and I complained with no help from T. Told them were to go and canceled in 24 hours. Sent me a bill for $1800+. Will not give them 1 red cent/ Beware!
Posted by bc6612 on February 18, 2013 at 5:30 AM · Report this