YakHerder 1
It's the Monkey Boy Jesus Fresco of taxidermy.
Posted by YakHerder on January 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Sandiai 2
Good one.

Sad/rage-y?
Posted by Sandiai on January 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Paul Pearson 3
The next Andrew W.K. album cover.
Posted by Paul Pearson on January 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this

Nice post. I love it. I hope to see more. Thanks for sharing with us.

Art
Posted by FOP on January 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
I voted "creepy," but it is creepy in a good way.
Posted by Senor Guy on January 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 6
You left off the Gripsholm Lion:

Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on January 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
I don't think the problem with the taxidermist who made the left one isn't that he'd never seen an ocelot. It's that he's a shitty taxidermist.
Posted by MRM on January 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 8
I don't think he's ever seen an animal.
Posted by Cracker Jack on January 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM · Report this
I think it's evidence that taxidermy is a skilled art, and like all skilled arts it's something that takes time and practice.

Think of your favorite illustrator. Now if you go look at everything he/she drew for the first couple of years at it, it would all look wonky, out of proportion, and fucked up. Much like this.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Knat 10
Best caption for that cat that I've seen:

Meth. Not even once.
Posted by Knat on January 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Philly 11
Awesome
Posted by Philly on January 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Badger 12
Back in the 50's there was a big push to promote taxidermy as a hobby. I read many old magazines and am always seeing advertisments for taxidermy schools as well as learn taxidermy at home courses. I suspect that most of the shitty looking taxidermy pieces we see today are a direct result of those courses. Another thing that should be taken into consideration is that the animal skins dry out and warp over time, some of those pieces may have looked OK when they were freshly made, only to turn really horrific with the passage of decades.
Posted by Badger on January 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM · Report this
I wonder if that one on the left was someone's first attempt (at something bigger than a crow they found in the woods). If I were to stuff an ocelot, I think it would look a lot like poor old Janky.
Posted by originalcinner on January 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM · Report this