I have loved this song since I first heard it in 1975.
Posted by Clayton on January 25, 2013 at 7:03 AM · Report this
James6 2
"your advice-giving . . . often approaches Dear-Abby/Dear-Anne levels of sublime and ridiculous." That's a bit of a backhanded compliment.
Posted by James6 on January 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
It's been a long time since I've heard this. Isn't it wonderful how art speaks truth?
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM · Report this
"Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood."
Posted by bigyaz on January 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM · Report this
Heard this song for the first time on the radio in LA during an airing of Austin City Limits. I happened to press record on the tape and captures some amazing John Prine, Rodney Crowell and others. Played the living shit out of that tape in my cross country travels. When I saw Dan's first post on Abby it was the first place I went. I still have that cassette... yet only one old fading cassette player left.
Posted by Bean on January 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM · Report this
NotSean 6
Frank Zappa:

Do you know what you are?
You are what you is
You is what you am
(A cow don't make ham...)
You ain't what you're not
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it 'tis

Posted by NotSean on January 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 7
There wil always be push back against the Youth and Beauty culture that has been with the human family since it was young and beautiful. We are what we are, but we'd sure like to be young and pretty for a much longer time.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM · Report this
Fuck yeah John Prine! That "Just Married" stanza is a sublime capper.
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.
I gotta get that framed.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM · Report this
Though if John Prine were in Washington or Colorado today, he'd be able to sport a "Legal Smile"...
Posted by Pope Buck I on January 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM · Report this
scary tyler moore 10
heard him sing this at an outdoor music festival in golden gate park to several thousand people. he also sang Sam Stone, my favorite John Prine song. you know that one, gus?
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
@10, that's a great one, STM. Once heard, just the mention of it makes some people cry a little.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM · Report this
Love John Prine. "Christmas in Prison" was on heavy rotation last month.
Posted by JamesonF on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Bonefish 13
Dan's version would be something like this:

"Unhappy, Unhappy: You have no complaint,
Your wife's GGG and she plays with your taint
So listen up buster and listen up good,
stop taking for granted how she knocks on your wood
Signed, Dan Savage."
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Report this