katrat 1
I like your noting the War film dichotomy . I remember seeing Branaugh's Henry V, the one that was supposed to so decidedly repudiate war. I watched all that glorious slow-mo violence and was more than a little skeptical
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 2
Although nobody would say they're great cinema, '80s horror was frequently conservative. There is a whole lot of good drama that frequently positions the progressive vs the conservative and posits that the conservative wins out. I think saying that conservative positions do not make for good drama is biased and a little bitchy. But I figured you were going for bitchy.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on January 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
fletc3her 3
I think the way theater in this country is funded makes the idea of a politically conservative playwright seem a bit off. Most community theaters would have a hard time operating without the support of donors, grants, and local government.

Mostly though I think Mamet enjoys ruffling people's feathers.

I am looking forward to seeing American Buffalo on Sunday.
Posted by fletc3her on January 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Congratulations, truly. It is heartening to see a poster on SLOG refer to previous post as being a quick and lazy generalization. I will read your future posts with more care.

Fighting our era's tendency toward quick and lazy generalizations may be the only way out of positing everything as us against them, liberal vs. conservative, ignorant redneck vs. effete snob, 99 vs. 1% etc.

I am looking forward to more thoughtful and polished generalizations.
Posted by mt on January 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM · Report this
I sat through this play a couple of weeks ago. Many people did not, as the exodus at intermission demonstrated. The set was fine, but the audience can' t get by on props alone. This was not brilliant writing; Mamet was slumming in lower class bathos. A waste of time and talented actors. Left me wondering why so much energy was spent on it.
Posted by betsio on January 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
The Oresteia is exactly about the overthrow of conservative tradition. It established for the first time the notion that society should be governed by justice tempered with mercy rather than the simplistic vengeance of the old eye for eye and tooth for tooth tradition. It also established that the sins of the fathers should not be visited on the children through the generations. It ended the curse on the House of Atreus. (Frank Herbert doesn't count.)
As I recall, Athena was making up the rules as they went along. Call that an Athenian tradition if you wish but the idea that a hung jury meant freedom for the accused was pretty radical stuff at the time.
Posted by ravenraven on January 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this