More like "men are awesome," no? Was there more than a couple of women in the whole video?
Posted by Tehanu on January 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the clip at 1:30 is for sure a fake: http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertiseme…

Posted by d.lo.wa. on January 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
As a man who wouldn't jump off a building, cliff, or bridge, let me say this: I think the reason you don't see many women in this video is because most women aren't dumb enough to try most of the shit that is shown in this video.
Posted by Dan Savage on January 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 4
It's only awesome until some one pokes an eye out.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
For every successful stunt, there's twenty concussions, broken teeth, busted knees, etc. But it's still incredible to watch.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 6
Are people awesome? The soundtrack seems designed to prove that the human race should be exterminated for crimes against music, art, science, and nature.

(Here's that Snopes link. Gillette commercial done with computer bullshit.)
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
Besides, @3, it's more fun to jump off the Rocky Mountains in a hang glider or flying suit (try near Kaslo, BC)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
@1, @3: circus arts are full of stunts risking paralysis and death, and are dominated by female athletes. As for daredevil stunts, I think there are cultural reasons those seem to be male dominated.

The trick with the hoop was quite impressive.

Posted by Paul F on January 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Yeah there's a couple of those that are fake CGI.

Though the ones featuring Damien Walters are all too real. That guy is incredible. And an all round nice dude. In fact he would make an excellent interview for The Stranger (hint. hint.).
Posted by tkc on January 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
biffp 10
Had some witch nearly run me off the road today to race to a red light. People are garbage.
Posted by biffp on January 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Andrew Cole 11
@6, uh, I'm thinking he maybe meant the kid on crutches doing a skateboard trick. Yes? No?
Posted by Andrew Cole on January 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM · Report this

Ya, to that point, I only saw an endless reel of (mainly) jocks doing stunts. It's too bad the whole video wasn't the little skateboarder.

Posted by Velvetbabe on January 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Ophian 13
Tehanu @1, true equality will not be when all fields and achievements have exact demographic representation [e.g. 51% of the population is female, then 51% of stunt footage features females]. While some women are stronger than some men, men [as a population] are stronger than women [as a population].

Also, I am often tempted to agree with Dan @3 that women are more sensible than men [I've never seen a group of women goad each other into gulping 800,000 Scoville heat unit hot sauce].

Also also, I really want the one-legged soccer goal around 3:30 to be real.
Posted by Ophian on January 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
@6
---
Thanks for the link. It shows baseball player Evan Longoria "catching" a foul ball to avoid the reporter being bonked on the noggin.

I know so little about baseball that when I quickly scanned the headline I thought it said Eva Longoria. I was like: "What is that girl from Desperate Housewives doing catching a baseball??
Posted by Global Traveler on January 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM · Report this
oh shut up @1

Men have higher risk-taking behaviors for a lot of complex reasons (some even genetic, and, OH SHIT, evolutionary!! I know some people can't handle that behaviors differ in sexes for genetic reasons, but, get over it) that are socially reinforced to this day.
Posted by six five on January 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM · Report this
kim in portland 16
I've jumped from one building to another. As a kid I jumped from single story house to single story house. As an adult I jumped from a 4 story to a 3 story in Los Angeles. Yes, it was stupid, but man it was fun. I still love activities that make you stay in the moment: white water; cliff diving; surfing....

And, the young man and his skateboard at 1:30 was wonderful!
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on January 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM · Report this
lolorhone 17
Do we have to have an argument about biological determinism here? Jesus, sometimes it seems a liberal arts education can fuck up a wet dream. Enjoy the fucking clip.
Posted by lolorhone on January 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
"Tehanu @1, true equality will not be when all fields and achievements have exact demographic representation"

Yeah, my comment wasn't about men's higher propensity to do stunts, it was about the generic word "people" being used when it should actually have been "men." Not a big deal, but just saying that when I read "people are awesome" I kinda assumed it was about, you know, people.

"oh shut up @1"

And hugs and big wet smoochy kisses to you too.
Posted by Tehanu on January 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 20
I'm surprised that it doesn't include any clips of the amazing wingsuit base jumping in Norway.
Posted by MarkyMark on January 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM · Report this
James McDaniel 21
That's Bill Gates jumping a chair at 1:59. P.S. What @17 said.
Posted by James McDaniel http://facebook.com/JamesMcDanielPhotos on January 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM · Report this
Wandergeist 22
@19 Wait, so you're saying men aren't people?
Posted by Wandergeist on January 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM · Report this
Although it's not nearly as dangerous as the other stunts, I was impressed by Rohan Ajit Kokane, the little kid roller skating under the cars. A couple years later, and a little bigger, he set a Guiness world record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68lX7IUh…
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on January 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM · Report this
@22, if the clip had been only women doing amazing things, and had been called "people are awesome", you'd bet your ass someone had piped up "but that's not people, it's women!"

Men are people, women are women, according to society's norm. Which makes it relevant to point out when someone calls a clip comprised of all men "People are awesome".
Posted by karraflarra on January 26, 2013 at 2:19 AM · Report this
Also, there are examples of women-people doing awesome, risky stunts. You just have to search for "girl stunt biker", or "girl skater" or similar. Since, girls are girls, not people.
Posted by karraflarra on January 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 26
because kim in portland is bad ass !
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on January 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM · Report this
@13: The kid on crutches scoring the soccer goal IS real. Great story: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/…
Posted by bigyaz on January 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Never say something like "people are awesome", Dan. The very first commenter will pop up and prove you wrong every time.
And I agree with #5, these are just Darwin Awards waiting to happen.
Posted by chi_type on January 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Posted by Piano Tuna on January 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM · Report this
eclexia 30
I hate hate hate when actual real stunts are spliced together with cheap FX. The real stuff is so beautiful.

Here's a hint, FX kids-- objects in the air can't suddenly accelerate upwards. Angular momentum is a beautiful thing, but 60 years of research have failed to produce gyroscopic flying saucers.
Posted by eclexia on January 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM · Report this
@15 Don't use scientific arguments when you don't understand science, thanks.
Posted by oskomena on January 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM · Report this
debug 32
For those complaining about wanting to see women do awesome things let me introduce you to two great websites: Google and YouTube.

You're welcome.
Posted by debug on January 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
smajor82 33
@31 - Actually, there is evidence that men are biologically wired to be less risk-averse. Do you have some refutation of this or do you just like to be a dismissive jerk?
Posted by smajor82 on January 28, 2013 at 5:38 AM · Report this
My daughter's in this one! at 1:15. Though not jumping off building, just doing her every day circus gig. Which is awesome.
Posted by SireneB on January 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM · Report this