fletc3her 1
The wrongness of the pro-marijuana, anti-502 crowd is stunning. I suppose cynicism and paranoia become a way of life eventually.
Posted by fletc3her on January 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM · Report this
Former Lurker 2
It's infuriating that many of those in the medical marijuana industry who opposed I-502 will be asked to help the Liquor Board implement I-502 as "industry experts."
Posted by Former Lurker on January 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM · Report this
I love this story.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
"Where you can grow marijuana is a decision we will have to make..."?

How about I can grow cannabis IN MY BACK YARD?
Posted by Max Solomon on January 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
The Washington Athletic Club is about as "exclusive" as a mailbox. I wonder if you still need a letter of reference from a Doctor of Minister to get a membership.....
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
This is good.

Marijuana is a dangerous substance and needs to be controlled by people who are responsible.

No, you cannot grow it in your backyard or your house, unless you are licensed and pass state regulations and have regulation buildings to grow and store marijuana.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM · Report this
theophrastus 7
@4, how about if you want to make moonshine in your back yard? if you don't sell it, then (approximately): no problem. but the moment you threaten the tax-man you're out of luck. i believe the primary interest on the government side (and admitting there is more than one 'government side') is trying to maintain taxation control. but, i think they're going to go about it in a scared and screwy: "gotta limit the producers to a very small number" way. that is, i foresee a sad constraint of freedoms coming on this issue; regardless of the public will.
Posted by theophrastus on January 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
I haven't smoked hashish in thirty years. I admit, I miss it. I haven't heard anything about it. It used to be so popular when I was young. Compact, easy smoke and smelled delicious. Bring it back!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM · Report this
@6 someone stop all those home brewers and moonshiners! Won't someone please think of the children?!?!? And the revenue agents!!!!
Posted by DannyG on January 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM · Report this
Basketball fans and potheads: a reliable blueprint in voter turnout.
Posted by hmmmmm on January 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 12
Oh Brave new world! We're in uncharted territory w/ 502, and there's bound to be some growing pains. 5 years from now, the anti-502 idiots will be long forgotten. Take each step seriously, and always keep your eyes on the prize: a complete & global end to the 'war on drugs.'
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
Adapt or die.

And stop driving stoned.

We have funions and we know how to use them.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 14
@6- Marijuana isn't a dangerous substance, or at least it's a heck of a lot less dangerous than all the huffable products you can buy, store, and trade anywhere you like.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
It's not actually legal, let's be clear. Federal law prohibits, and federal law takes precedence. There had been a lack of enforcement, yes, when it could be claimed that medical use was something that lawmakers had not envisioned when they wrote the law, but even medical dispensaries are now being shut down here in Washington by the Feds, and enforcement in general is increasing: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20…

The Feds aren't legally allowed to simply let the law be broken. They are required to enforce - its not really a choice. Especially with something this strongly in the public eye. I just don't see how the Feds could allow it even if they wanted to, so there's a showdown coming. Get ready to hear this soon: "You'll just have to wait a few years until we get things straightened out on the federal level".
Posted by rubus on January 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 17
Ahhhh.....

Ok, so let's just let everyone grow marijuana and let it be totally unregulated and unrestricted. A free for all!

As long as you feel the same way about guns, fine. Otherwise, you're a hypocrite.

Typical SLOG commenter:
"I personally like pot, so I demand pot be legal and free and accessible to all!"
"I personally hate guns, so I demand guns be restricted and accessible to few... and I not-so-secretly hope they'll disappear forever!"

You guys are exactly as bad as the free republic hypocrites who make the exact opposite comments.

That's fine and all, but when you guys profess hypocritical, self-serving beliefs, just own up to it, ok? Just admit you want things your way or the highway and you're no better than the conservatives you mock.

Deal?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
gwhayduke 18
i only read the headline.
Leading with "Under Crystal Chandeliers," is an interesting choice, but it didn't do enough for me.
(It's an affect almost as if): just sayin'(, or .)
Posted by gwhayduke http://www.farmsanctuary.org/videos/celebrity-ambassadors/ellen-degeneres-shares-why-she-supports-farm-sanctuary/ on January 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM · Report this
#17 - you're kind of a jackass. How exactly is marijuana equivalent to guns? How many people have been killed by marijuana? How many have committed suicide with it? Has a marijuana plant ever accidentally gotten someone stoned? Has a marijuana plant been used in an assault or a robbery? Do you see where I'm going with this? Do you see why your "argument" is that of an idiot?
Posted by catsnbanjos on January 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Poppies, nutmeg, salvia, and morning glory seeds all can have psychoactive effects, too. Perhaps they should all be regulated, with strict controls placed on where and how they may be grown.
Posted by catsnbanjos on January 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
@17 You are misusing the word hypocrite here. If someone were to like guns, own a bunch of them, but then publicly advocate for a ban on new gun sales, they would be acting hypocritically.
You are pointing out what you consider to be an inconsistency across different topics. That's not hypocrisy.
That's just not matching your opinions on different topics.
Posted by Sir Vic on January 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 22
@21, fair enough. I'll restate: SLOG commenters are mostly inconsistent rather than hypocritical.

@19,
SLOG commenters like pot, so they'll find anything and everything to reinforce what they already believe about pot. Any contradictory information will be labeled as suspect or biased. Any confirmatory information will be labeled as proof or "science."

Likewise, SLOG commenters hate guns, so they'll find anything and everything to reinforce what they already believe about guns. Any contradictory information will be labeled as suspect or biased. Any confirmatory information will be labeled as proof or "science."

But whatever, if that's what SLOG is then so be it... it's an echo chamber for liberals. I've got no problem with that. But SLOG is definitely NOT a forum for reasonable debate or argument. It's just like redstate.com or freerepublic.com... except that its confirmatory bias and anecdotal bullshit is slanted to the liberal side.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 23
@19 @22 that is an incorrect statement. You presume that just because someone does not want our county and city budget wasted on jailing people for MJ, that this means we "like pot".

We just don't like living in Fear for no reason, and paying to lock up productive members of society.

Now, driving stoned, that's different. It's like texting or talking on your cell phone, and should result in immediate jail terms.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 24
@23,
Regardless, I see comments saying, in essence, pot should be completely unregulated (e.g., "let me grow it in my backyard!"). I also see comments, in the ubiquitous gun threads, that guns should most certainly be regulated.

Here's the inconsistency that made me post my comment in the first place...
I've seen comments by gun advocates accusing SLOG writers/commenters that they want to ban guns. A typical response to that is: "we don't want to ban guns, we just want them to be super-regulated... you know, like alcohol or marijuana."
And then along comes this post by Dominic and sure enough, their true feelings come out: "Let me grow pot in my backyard!" Is that the kind of strict regulation we should apply to guns? You know, guns should be regulated like marijuana?

My first post was that pot should be regulated. I got flak for that, as I anticipated I would, because I assumed, correctly, that SLOG commenters were inconsistent in their beliefs. And they've proven me right.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Fnarf 27
People who say things like "take marijuana into the body" drive me up a wall. We get it: it's fun, you like to do it. It's not a fucking sacrament.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 29
@24: but, you see, i'm fine with my theoretical backyard weed patch being WELL REGULATED. i recognize that it is a controlled substance. i'll be happy to sign up for a growing license and register as a grower if that's what is required. i'll be glad to pay taxes on what i sell, if i sell any.

which means i am fine with marijuana being more highly regulated than home brewing. or firearms.

i didn't prove you right on shit.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 30
@29,
Super, thanks for clarifying. I wonder how many others feel the same? Most of the pot growers I know are barely capable of keeping their driver's licences updated. That's just my own anecdotal experience though. I guess we'll have to wait and find out just how regulated and controlled marijuana will be?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
@22
"I'll restate: SLOG commenters are mostly inconsistent rather than hypocritical."

I think the term you're looking for is "double standard".
If they want it available then it should be cheap and with very few regulations.
If they do not want it available then it should be expensive and heavily regulated.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on January 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this