This is very nice, but it also makes me sick, to live in a society where someone gets shot for no reason, and we have to organize benefits to pay for their care. Disgusting.
Return th top bracket to 50%, and lets fund a single payer system.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on February 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Seriously, especially when you're hurt at work and it's your workplace that is holding the benefit. Shouldn't he get worker's comp?
Posted by Mr John on February 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Will Marti be the special celebrity guest? Will she sign autographs? I've never been close to someone who hid-next-to-someone-who-almost-got-shot-by-a-crazy-guy-in-a-ghetto-bar!
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on February 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Donation link is broken... I believe you can donate here: http://gregrecoveryfund.chipin.com/greg

Posted by seralata on February 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM · Report this
ingopixel 5
He is getting worker's comp, but as a doorman he doesn't make much and the money he is getting from L&I is only a percentage of his salary. Also, not working means not getting tips which is usually a good chunk of a night's pay. His medical costs are at least mostly covered as far as I know, the money from this benefit is mostly to help pay his rent etc.

I don't know details, I could be wrong on some of this, but it's what I've heard. I'd be glad to see someone involved more closely comment here about what is and isn't taken care of for him.
Posted by ingopixel on February 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM · Report this
@4: I ended that site since his family has something set up.
Posted by jcornillez on February 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM · Report this
Romulous 7
Maybe he could get help from the Crime Victims Fund for help with rent assistance. Additionally, Volunteers of America or American Red Cross have rental assistance programs.

Crime Victims assistance: http://www.seattle.gov/law/public_safety…

VOA Rent Assistance: http://www.resourcehouse.com/WIN211/deta…

2-1-1 has a lot of resources in case they didn't look into it yet anyway.

Posted by Romulous on February 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM · Report this
Ok, workers comp doesn't pay that much. And, I looks like greg will be of this feet for some time. Also, I you do decide to come to the benefit you will still get the great value of a stiff Twilight Exit drink at no extra cost to you. It's the owner of the bar that is choosing to give Greg Half of the bar's take for the night. So, even if L & I pays for all of his hospital bills he will still need help and it's no skin off of your nose if the owner wants to give him a nice big chunk of the profits.
Posted by Stephan on February 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM · Report this
L & I is a cheap ass govt. run inefficient entity. So, a bar owner wants to give Greg half the sales from the night of the benefit, that's his choice. If you choose to attend you will still get the same stiff drink for the same popular price. It's totally no skin off your nose. Just go with it. It's called caring and helping out. Try it.
Posted by Leroy G.W. on February 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM · Report this
Leroy G.W. is that you Stephan? ;-)
Posted by tbag on February 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM · Report this
Greg works 2 jobs to make ends meet, and he will be unable to work for at least 6 months. Donated funds will go towards rent, gas for all those doctor appointments and groceries. The only wage replacement L and I will provide is 60 percent of his wages at Twilight. This injury will heal, but will affect him for the rest of his life. He has the bullet and scars to prove it.
Posted by 509 in the house! on February 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this