Phoebe in Wallingford 1
Agenda item for next Wednesday's editorial meeting: Duplicate posts by staffers.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Mean, and also socially stigmatizing to people who do have STDs. I get it, drunk people are annoying and she'strying to do her job, but she's also on television and doesn't need to publicly shame a stranger having a good time in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.
Posted by Amanda Huggenkiss on January 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
ryanayr 3
I am with @2
Posted by ryanayr on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM · Report this
yelahneb 4
I am with @1.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on January 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM · Report this
very bad homo 5
It's funny to shame a drunk jackass, it should be done more often.
Posted by very bad homo on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM · Report this
--MC 6
My sympathies are with the reporter. If people came up to me and went WHOO CALIFORNIA REPRESENT in my ear when I was at work, I'd stigmatize the hell out of them.
Posted by --MC on January 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
Agreed with @2. If you don't like drunk people, you shouldn't be in the Big Easy, sugah.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
I'm sure the reporter did not relish being sent to Bourbon Street to report on the wasted post-Super Bowl stragglers wandering around. It's an OBVIOUS setup to draw video bombers -that's what the news director sent her there to draw.

So when she drew a video bomber, as she knew she would, and hit her that hard? Especially when, as post-Super Bowl Bourbon Street zombie tourist-drunks go, this one was pretty innocuous?

Yeah, dick move. Nothing forgivably spontaneous about any of that.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM · Report this
@8-- The Super Bowl isn't for three days yet. The rest of your point is dead-on, though.
Posted by lopes on January 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
emor 10
I feel like sending the reporter to that street is a dumb waste of time for all involved, including drunken rando.

Also, pretty sure the reporter lady had the line ready from the get-go.
Posted by emor on January 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
The lady didn't even seem drunk at all. Reporter could've handled that in a way less bitchy way.
Posted by The CHZA on January 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 12

That reporter is the kind of mousy bitchy lady that I like best.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on January 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
@9, oops! That's what I get for pretending to be plugged in about sports teams and their activities.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Ziggity 14
Can't everyone be wrong?
Posted by Ziggity on January 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 15
Yes, yes, let's all wring our hands at how horrible the news media treats lesser humans.

Still, that was fucking hysterical. Didn't even bat an eye.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
@14

No, only everyone else but me.
Posted by The CHZA on January 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Really bad at doing her job.
Posted by treehugger on January 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
I guess I'll be in the minority and say good on the reporter. "In the street" reporting is common, but it's not an invitation to barge in on someone while they are working. Perhaps shaming the barger isn't such a bad strategy. And it was funny.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on January 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Really good at doing her job.

Nice snarky improv, honey.
Posted by judybrowni on January 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
I thought it was awesome. Our crappy newscasts could use some spice like that.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on January 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
She's working in public. She has no more right to that street corner than the friendly drunken tourist. If you don't want to be interrupted by drunk people, don't report from Bourbon Street.

Given how quick she was to spring the STD stuff, I assume this happens a lot to her.

Posted by dirge on January 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
@14: I don't know why, but those four words just made my whole week. They so perfectly describe how I feel about so many things right now. Thank you.
Posted by Ben on January 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
What was reporter lady's reason for being out on Bourbon Street at bar closing but to talk to people? What kind of people did she think she'd lure over to talk to her? She and her producer should find new jobs because neither are intelligent enough to waste the networks time on.
Posted by Jersey on January 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
sirkowski 25
I like her.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on January 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Stabs 26
There's absolutely zero chance that the reporter chose to report from bourbon street at what was probably like 4am. I'm on the reporters side. Drunk lady wandered into the conversation like a child, she's out of her depth. No sympathy for people doing stupid things while drunk, that's what getting drunk is all about.
Posted by Stabs on January 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM · Report this
beatgrl 27
The reporter reminds me of the kind of bitches I had to put up with back in school. But that was a pretty smart maneuver she pulled off. I think there is a good possibility that a drunker and fully uninhibited person would have started talking about STDs, though.
Posted by beatgrl on February 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM · Report this