But is it as fast and as cheap for the busy student?
Posted by Seattle14 on January 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Noooo!

Go metric!

And price it in Yen!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM · Report this
I can't wait for 2x4s to be actually 2" by 4"
Posted by anon1256 on January 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
treacle 4
"Whenever you even entertain the thought of eating at Subway, there's always a better sandwich shop somewhere nearby."

No there isn't. Sometimes Subway IS the better sandwich shop nearby. Ever been to Everett? And that's just in our hip and localavore PNW. Imagine how other parts of the country suffer. Ever been to Omaha?
Posted by treacle on January 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
T 5
So Subway's going metric? Because we're pretty much the only ones using feet anymore.
Posted by T on January 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
Six.

Six dollar.

Six dollar foot looooooooong.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 31, 2013 at 4:21 PM · Report this
Former Lurker 8
There is a subway on 100th N & Aurora. Where is there a better sandwich shop?
Posted by Former Lurker on January 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Can we go back to wondering why so may places serve a 14 oz 'pint?'
Posted by BornAgainInBellevue on January 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM · Report this
Hernandez 11
Oh, you and your Subway hate. Never a shortage of indignance for ol' Paul Bobby.

I find myself eating Subway once in a while. I don't kid myself into thinking I'm eating a premium, artisan sandwich, but it certainly doesn't offend me the way it does you.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on January 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
The best premium artisan sandwiches are the ones you make at home, after you bake the bread and put the ingredients on yourself.

Except mustard, that takes way too long. Buy that.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM · Report this
evilvolus 13
I think you're translation is off. I read that as "We use a 12" tray to bake the bread, but sometimes our minimum wage employees fuck it up. We've yelled down the chain of command, and chastised the person who made that original silly PR statement. Nothing is going to actually change, but we'd like everyone to stop talking about this now."
Posted by evilvolus on January 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 14
@10,

What I'd like to know is what exactly the Brave Horse Tavern is serving, because I'll be damned if those "pints" aren't actually 20 ounces.
Posted by keshmeshi on January 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
JonnoN 15
@8 jimmy johns at aurora & 130th, or northgate way & 8th ne. Both a bit far to walk tho.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on January 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
fletc3her 16
Probably they're just going to put an asterisk on the sign letting us all know that footlong is an aspirational goal and not a promise.

I think Subway is midway between Jimmy Johns and Quiznos. It's food. It's not great. It's cheap.
Posted by fletc3her on January 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
I eat at Subway when I'm at a freeway exit on a long road trip, so, no, there isn't likely a better sandwich shop nearby, not one I can find.
Posted by Warren Terra on January 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM · Report this
merry 18
I'm boring, I always get the same sandwich at Subway - the "footlong" turkey with hella veggies (ONIONS) and lots of vinegar... And I'm rather fond of it, I must say...

Yeah, if I want something fancier there are many other choices... but for my standard turkey-veggie-vinegar sandwich, Subway suits me just fine, thanks.

(Not every meal has to be gourmet, you know. In fact, that would be kinda... uh, gross.)

Posted by merry on January 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
disintegrator 19
Thank you for your tireless coverage of this important issue...
Posted by disintegrator on January 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 20
@15 there's a JJ in the UDist.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM · Report this
Jimmy johns sucks.
Posted by wxPDX on January 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM · Report this
rob! 23
Don't go to Jimmy John's.
Peter LaBarbera @PeterLaBarbera

Jimmy John's founder says Obamacare would cost him 50 cents per sandwich. #tcot #gop #hhrs #ampat #ocra
8:54 PM - 15 Oct 12
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Speaking as someone who just ate at Subway for the first time in a while, I have to say there is not always a better sandwich shop nearby. At Dulles Airport during my 10 minute connection, it was between Subway or some place called California Tortilla (shudder).
Posted by decidedlyodd on January 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM · Report this
NrthWstMdWst 26
THE REST OF THE WORLD... except guys right? sheesh.
Posted by NrthWstMdWst on January 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM · Report this
King Rat 27
Books are just fire hazards now.
Posted by King Rat http://www.kingrat.us/ on January 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM · Report this
blackhook 28
Subway ...typical American fast food. Not necessarily bad, but BLAND ...tasteless balloon bread, bland ingredients.

For a real sub, check out Fontano's in Chicago - crusty & chewy bread, fantastic fixins like ham, capicola, provolone, hot giardiniera....i.e., real food, not soul-killing Subway.

If you do value your soul, avoid Subway at all costs!
Posted by blackhook on January 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM · Report this
@14 'pint' is a goofy one. People like to order a 'pint' of beer cuz it sounds cooler than a 'glass'. Most bars buy the 'American Mixer' which you can order in 12, 14, 16 or 20 oz. generally they go for a 14, you get few extra servings per 1/2 bbl and people keep ordering pints, much like coffee's 'tall'.
Brave horse and a few others like to go with what's known as a imperial or British pint (20 fl oz vs 16 fl oz). The volume system we use, though based on the British is annoyingly slightly different.
Believe or not, but people throughout Europe whined so much about glasses and ordering a beer, most bars over there have markings on the glass to let you know where your half liter should be filled to.
Posted by CbytheSea on January 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM · Report this
watchout5 31
at 10pm in queen anne it's the best sandwich in the area :( sadface times a million but I'm glad someone in their company had some sense. There's still people at that company who thought it would be hilarious to be a dick, and until they're fired and publicly shamed for being a useless tool I may as well spend the $2 and make my own damn sandwich
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 32
Gas stations have better sandwiches than Subway.

This is because Subway uses "Lunchable" grade ingredients.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 1, 2013 at 5:58 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 33
I have eaten Subway more times in my life than I care to think about, and not one single time did it occur to me that the experience would be enhanced by an additional inch of bread.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 1, 2013 at 7:35 AM · Report this
I find it amusing that people are holding up Jimmy Johns as a superior sandwich experience. Not that different from Subway, but more expensive and fewer choices.

Paul, sometimes people just need quick, reasonably priced lunch, not a sandwich experience.
Posted by bigyaz on February 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Fuck you Constant. Subway Rocks!!!!
Posted by J.R. on February 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this