A very long time ago I bought a few things that looked like those and sound like what you describe in the smoke shop at Pike Place Market. That was like...'89, maybe? So it might not be too helpful.
Posted by alight on January 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM · Report this
sperifera 3
@2 - I'm thinking that smokable products are MUCH more regulated in this country than firearms are, but yeah, whatever.
Posted by sperifera on January 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this
ingopixel 4
I used to smoke bidis about 10-12 years ago which are similar but smaller. Unfortunately they are outlawed now as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised if cheroots are too.
Posted by ingopixel on January 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 5
Comment warning: I know nothing about cigars.

That said, it looks like a fresh product. Anything you buy here, even if identical to what's available there, might be completely different. Like buying a mango or banana here - it's just sad after you've tasted perfection.

That's also might have been what Twain meant. Cheap means it was made nearby and sold at a local market. Expensive means a long journey from a far-off land, maybe passing through several middle men (and their warehouses) on the way.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on January 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Your best bet may be to contact someone you met there to ship to you. They're mostly handmade in small factories for local consumption, no? You could get something kinda sorta like them here maybe, but not with the flavor you're missing, the tobaccos and softwood chips wrapped in the tha nat phet leaf.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Rotten666 7
The way Twain feels about cigars? That's how I feel about beer.
Posted by Rotten666 on January 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 8
Those "old" ladies are 34, but they smoke.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Sounds like bidis. Backpack-rappin white boy stoners in my high school days *ahem* years ago LOVED those things. Being a supercool tobacco-huffing goth, I could not stand that hippie shit.
Posted by crabflex on January 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 10
@8 for the win. I know of a couple of places in Santa Barbara, but the only places I can think of around here are:

a. Kirkland - can't remember the street tho
b. that place next to the racing tracks down south Emerald Downs it's real close
c. there's a smoking bar down on 2nd near Cherry I think, but am not sure.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 11
Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

... someone had to say it.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on January 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM · Report this
As a matter of fact, when I was a white boy high-school stoner I loved bidis. I don't know about "backpack-rappin" though, whatever that is.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on January 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Fucking tourists. *eye roll*
Posted by Confluence on January 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM · Report this
Ballard Pimp 14
The smoke shop on the first floor of the Smith Tower used to carry them. Then we got all pure and closed the shop.
Posted by Ballard Pimp on January 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM · Report this
no marketable skills 16
@11: "Kissing someone that's self-righteous and intolerant is like licking a mongoose's ass."
Posted by no marketable skills on February 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@16: Perhaps, but that does not change the fact that being around someone who has just smoked a cigarette is revolting from a purely sensory standpoint.

Just because you can not smell or taste it anymore does not mean you do not smell like ass to others.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 18
Kissing someone who smokes is like kissing someone who smokes, it is not at all similar to licking an ashtray. Not that I know anything about licking ashtrays...
Posted by More, I Say! on February 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this