Phoebe in Wallingford 2
I voted yes on both, but as a legislator I trust that you will make inroads in fulfilling the State's obligation to education in the first place. Property tax levies are meant for one-off circumstances, not as an endless revenue stream to fill the gaps in the budget.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
Oh god...am I going to agree with Phoebe? Dear god!! Someone hacked her Slog account!!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
I voted yes on both, and so did my son.

But I agree that the state needs to fully fund K-12 and higher ed and kill the corporate and other tax exemptions if needed to fund them.

Today.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
How much money have crooked administrators stolen from SPS? So we should continue to give them more money? Can they stop hiring crooks and cronies first?
Posted by semi-crepuscular on February 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Christ wept--if we have to REPEATEDLY vote on education levies for PUBLIC EDUCATION, why don't we vote on every goddamn budget line item? If you keep giving me the option to not pay for your children's education, I will eventually take you up on the option.
Posted by tiktok on February 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
@1, @5 Fraud in the SPS has been punished more than any major bank has been.

Don't be a dope. Love em or hate em, the schools are a tangible factor in what makes this a better place to live than many others. Just fucking pay for it like a grown up.

Don't like it? There are plenty of jerkwater towns with no future because families with kids won't live there you can move to cheap.
Posted by Westside forever on February 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM · Report this
@5 not as much as Oregon is trying to get back from charter school founders...to the tune of $20 million in taxpayer dollars. Makes the SPS stuff look like small potatoes.

Seismic updates are hugely important in some of these older schools.
Posted by StuckInUtah on February 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Hernandez 10
@2 That may be the best comment you have ever left on Slog. I am 100% in agreement with you.

Ed and the rest, time to get your shit together and find a way for our state to meet its obligations! For real this time! No more delays and no more excuses!

(In the mean time, I'm voting yes on both.)
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on February 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this