If the penny is vacated and all everything were rounded up to 5 cents, wouldn't the nickle just become, for all intents and purposes, the new penny, doomed to the same date?
Posted by ultrasuedecushion on February 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM · Report this
emor 2
You should watch the video.
Posted by emor on February 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM · Report this
rob! 3
Thanks to morning vision, at first I thought you were talking about penises, Dan, and his "Cock the Vote" post immediately below [now deleted].
Posted by rob! on February 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM · Report this
but they are pretty and shiny and the same color as my hair. plus, abe lincoln! yup.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on February 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM · Report this
Kill the nickel too. Drop the entire last decimal place, make the dime the smallest denomination.
Posted by Lack Thereof on February 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
I Got Nuthin' 6
This guy is pretty impressed with himself. I think he's a dick.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on February 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
@ But then what to do with quarters? Don't you take my quarters. The values of coins really should be multiples of each other.

Damn our base-10 number system. Base-12 4eva!
Posted by dirge on February 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 8
When I closed my account with Century Link, I was owed a balance of 0.26. I didn't care, but they sent me a check. Then I cashed that check, much to the amazement of teller and me. Sorry, the penny has to stay. How else could a company clear it's account parables and a bank cash a check properly?

Sorry, rounding is not an option. No matter what they do in Canada.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM · Report this
very bad homo 9
So what happens to all the pennies that already exist?
Posted by very bad homo on February 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Dougsf 10
His "opportunity cost" analysis could be applied to all cash transactions, and a society without cash is totally not sweet.

I hope the next time he's in London the tube ticketing machine gives him change for his £20 in 2 pence coins.
Posted by Dougsf on February 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Well, eventually you'll have spent them all at vending machines and retailers. They'll still have value, they'll just gradually become less common. When businesses stop handing out quarters in change, and start handing out half dollars or dimes instead, they just kind of fade away.
Posted by Lack Thereof on February 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Ignored in this shortsighted argument, of course (and as usual) is the net accounting benefit to the Treasury when you lose your pennies in the couch, or vacuum them up and throw them away, or just keep them sitting in a jar for a decade or two.

And that value goes up even more when we start treating nickles the same way.

Shouting and gesticulating and then cutting all of the "um"s and pauses out of your rant-video doesn't turn you into a person who understands the ins and outs of circulating currency.
Posted by robotslave on February 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM · Report this
Apparently copper is an antimicrobial and kills harmful bacteria, which can stick around on stainless steel faucets and door handles. You could melt them all down to new fixtures.

Posted by cmuberti on February 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this

Another word for "antimicrobial" is "poison".

Copper is no friend to your bloodstream, either, so I'd advise against swallowing any more pennies.
Posted by robotslave on February 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM · Report this