undead ayn rand 1
FTL is a great game although I'd prefer it if it was a little easier to get through to the ending, ala Binding of Isaac. Even if the ending is usually frustrating, getting there is always fun.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Have you played Cart Life? It is even better than this. And the dude who made it, Richard Hofmeier, lives here in Seattle. Its nominated for a bunch of awards.
Posted by yeahthedudeabides on February 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Have you checked out Cart Life? I like it even better than FTL. It is a "retail simulator" but it is so much more than that. And the dude that made it lives in Seattle. Richard Hofmeier. http://www.richardhofmeier.com/ Both of these games are nominated for a bunch of independent games awards this year.
Posted by yeahthedudeabides on February 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 4
FYI, last year's PAX 10, and the year before's Microsoft Dream. Build. Play. Honorable mention game (back wall of Pax 2011), The Bridge, is now for pre-order on Steam for $11.99, its normal price is $14.99.

I would LOVE to pre-order it, but I fear my computer would not be powerful enough (it also chokes on Braid). I thought it as going to be on XBL, but apparently not anymore? I wish it would appear on PSN, as would A Virus Named Tom (which is at the $10 rate on Steam as well).

$10-$15 seems to be the going rate, but I think devs would pull in more of an audience if they went for $5 or $8. Once you get into double digits, it always seems to be a bit more of an investment than single digits, and more people may give it a try.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on February 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 5
I just re-read my last sentence. Single digits seem less of an investment, and may be more enticing than double digit games. Even if it is $7.50 vs $10.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on February 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Didn't mean to post twice. Sorry 'bout that.
Posted by yeahthedudeabides on February 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@1 Mantid/Rock crew + level 2 teleporters ftw. Add in the health missile for ease of use.
Capturing ships if far more profitable than destroying them.

$10 games, without 'free-to-play' pricing, are often cheaper on the whole. I personally don't trust any game that only wants to initially charge me a couple bucks. I don't enjoy having to continually re-evaluate whether it's worth it to keep paying to unlock a game I partially own.
Posted by dirge on February 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Knat 8
I picked up FTL the first day it came out, and I still play it from time to time. Even following the FTL wiki and allowing myself the occasional "save scumming," I haven't unlocked all the available ships. This game is an amazing deal for how much entertainment you get for such a little amount.

Until Star Citizen hits this world, it's the closest thing I know to the type of sci-fi ship combat game I want to play.
Posted by Knat on February 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
watchout5 9
Here's my game cycle. I give them money, they give me game, I play game, I discard game. If it's $60, $10, free doesn't matter. Money, game, play, good bye forever. 3 games that are $10 is more appealing than 1 game that's $60. Fact.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Fistique 10
Nothing is its listed price. Everything only costs as much as it does the day of the Steam sale. FTL costs $4.
Posted by Fistique on February 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM · Report this