Dorner (allegedly) hunted and killed the young-adult daughter of the man who, as a police captain, represented him in the internal tribunal as he fought his firing, and the young woman's fiance. He then (allegedly) proceeded to apparently shoot cops at random. Whatever past injustices may have contributed to his life's tragedy, we shouldn't confuse him for the John Rambo character, a misunderstood if troubled wanderer who acted in self-defense and didn't hunt the families of his antagonists.
Posted by Warren Terra on February 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
Don't know if you've mentioned his writings already, but the bits I've seen of Dorner's manifesto are intense, blunt, and in a sense, admirable.
Posted by dnt trust me on February 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
maybe I should say...."in a 'far out' sense, admirable." I don't want to come off sounding like accomplished avant composer Stockhausen calling 9/11 'the greatest work of art ever.'
Posted by dnt trust me on February 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM · Report this
eclexia 4
I don't understand why the cops haven't found him. They've already shot up two pickup trucks of different makes and models, both before and after he abandoned his pickup truck.

Maybe if they shot up passenger cars instead of trucks, they'd have better luck.
Posted by eclexia on February 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 5
L.A. being L.A., it's entirely possible that Dorner's complaints about the LAPD are 100% correct, and that he is a 100% contemptible multiple-murdering maniac.

Really, I just want a betting pool on how many innocent people the LAPD end up shooting before this is all over. I've got my money on five.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
This is like a Sci Fi thriller where one of their own discovers a horrible dark secret and then has to run for his life. I wonder what is really going on.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM · Report this
No, they have not. I wondered whether he was in my neighborhood last night when there were four helicopters gathered above. Alas, it was just some scumbag V13 parolee speeding from police, running a red light, running down a bicyclist, and crashing into a restaurant, injuring a few more people. Never a dull moment.
Posted by California on February 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
@#5

My grim, rather humorless joke yesterday was that the current score was Dorner 5, LAPD 3.
Posted by Warren Terra on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM · Report this
lark 9
Charles,
I do believe Dorner to be the most wanted human in America. And, a monster as well if what he is alleged to have done, shot & killed three people proves to be true.

Personally, I think he'll ended up taking his own life if he hasn't already. It's probably the most expensive manhunt in California state history. It's particularly egregious because he is alleged to have killed a police officer and WAS once one. I simply think that whatever his grievance(s), it doesn't warrant this atrocious & violent behavior. It's unfortunate to read in the NYT that some in LA's African-American community endorse some of his grievances (not his violent outburst). I have read that the LAPD has undergone a positive transformation since the tenure of Darryl Gates.

Posted by lark on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM · Report this
@9, Just because his response is reprehensible doesn't mean he doesn't have legit grievances. It's possible he was just a shitty cop with a major persecution complex, but if the allegations in his manifesto are true, I believe an investigation of the LAPD is in order.
Posted by JenV on February 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM · Report this
Charles Mudede 12
Lark, I have to go with exactly how @5 worded it in the first sentence.
Posted by Charles Mudede on February 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM · Report this
This comparison of Dormer and Obama, re: extra-judicial kill lists, gun control attitudes, and more, is wonderful: http://www.popehat.com/2013/02/11/a-comp…
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on February 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM · Report this
This comparison of Dorner and Obama, re: extra-judicial kill lists, gun control attitudes, and more, is wonderful: http://www.popehat.com/2013/02/11/a-comp…
Phoebe in Wallingford 15
I wonder if @5 and @8 will be perversely disappointed if the final score is Donner 5, LAPD 0.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM · Report this
the guy is still a murderer.
Posted by Joel_are on February 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM · Report this
Fnarf 17
I think Dorner's dead in a ditch.

The LAPD may not be perfect but they are far from the LAPD of old. Dorner's complaints are ridiculous on the face of it; his best argument would have been to complain that mental health counseling was not available to him at an adequate level. He still would have been wrong about that.

The LAPD has made amazing changes in the past decade, changes that Seattle would do well to emulate (and while the NYPD has moved in the other direction). The LAPD is only a third white male now, just as a for-instance. White, black, Asian, Hispanic, female, gay and lesbian -- LAPD is a multifarious force now, and a model for the US and the world.

Dorner's biggest problem seems to be that he couldn't handle being supervised by a woman. He's a model of the old LAPD, not a victim of it.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 19
I find it odd how everyone is dismissing Dorner's accusations out of hand. I mean talk to people who live in LA...you may come away with a different perspective. But he is a murderous fool and a wonderful way to unleash drones onto the American Citizens!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM · Report this
lark 21
Good Morning Charles,
@11 & @12, I don't necessarily disagree. Indeed, the LAPD is reopening the Dorner Case. Perhaps, he has a legitimate grievance. But, so did Ted Kaczynski. It's a tricky situation to endorse a complaint of a known killer.

I think @17 Fnarf puts it best. I really wonder if Dorner had issues being supervised by a woman. Whatever the case, I hope all of us on SLOG and elsewhere approach this tragedy with some circumspection. We also hope Dorner is apprehended immediately.
Posted by lark on February 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM · Report this