Soupytwist 1
I LOVE SUSAN ROJAS - "I could teach a monkey to count." - this is the problem with American education and employers, they don't want thinkers, they want monkeys that count to three and push buttons.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on February 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM · Report this
This teacher sounds like my daughter's kindergarten teacher at Orca K-8, and I feel very lucky.
Posted by Chili on February 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM · Report this
In Washington State, I could imagine the cream of the crop educators designing a new curriculum only to have it savaged eight ways to sunday by a variety of school districts because it didn't meet the specific needs of its student residents.
Posted by neo-realist on February 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 4
I did analytical work for Colorado Public Schools, specifically investigating the efficacy of the "No Child Left Behind" programs.

The results were astonishingly clear: The more state and federal funds a school got, the more the student's achievement rose. Location of the schools was irrelevant - rich and poor and middle class neighborhoods all saw the same results. More money = Better education. Period. No other variables had even close to as much influence.

We released the results publicly, but no one ever seemed to notice or care much. I guess everyone has their own beliefs, facts be damned.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 5
@4 - give us a link! Would love to read it...
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on February 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
@5,

I dug around a bit on CO's dept of ed. webpage but I can't find the report I helped on. This one looks like a follow-up (although I just skimmed it, I can't be sure if it's the same work I was doing):

There's a bunch of other reports on their website too if you feel adventurous.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM · Report this