Will in Seattle 1
nothing like a directory invocation.

A lot of why people turn off ads and paywalls has to do with how obnoxious people make them. I've noticed certain Chrome ads on FB have repeating images and movies. Time to go reset the AdBlock filters.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
I pay for my NYTimes subscription because I want to support the news industry. Supporting paywall subversion isn't the best move, methinks, for somebody whose income relies on getting paid for written content.
Posted by wxPDX on February 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Yes! Goldy, I love your face!
Posted by seven on February 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM · Report this
weird. I just clicked around on about 50 stories and none of them prompted me to pay for anything....am I missing something?
Posted by nador on February 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
eclexia 5
One word: ookie-cay.

The L.A. Times is probably the toughest paywall to crack. (Also the content I'm least likely to pay for.) But here's a hint: they aren't using their own cookie. They partnered with a larger entity to piggyback the paywall on the other company's cookie. It's a cookie most folks do not want to delete.

Posted by eclexia on February 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
katrat 6
am I a square for paying for things I believe in?
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on February 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM · Report this
@5 NYT has cookie detection, and the site has pop-ups if you disable their specific tracking cookie. This doesn't stop you from just deleting their cookie every few days, or in my preferred method, simply reading their site using private browsing. Ctrl+Shift+N (Chrome), nytimes.com or latimes.com; when the firewall comes up just close the window, open a new one and resume consumption.
Posted by Bachmann2012 on February 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
@6 no.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
tallchris 9
This isn't new at all. I've been doing it since it went in place. And you don't have to put the "/" in, just delete everything from the question mark on.
Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on February 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
Or just open another browser
Posted by Seattle14 on February 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM · Report this
I just periodically Reset Safari (on my mac) and viola, Free NY Times without having to do anything involving thought.
Posted by jmikel on February 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 13
If there's a not-too-food-smeared copy of the NYT or Fairview Fannie laying around in my favorite coffee shop, I'll grab it and read the second-hand news for free.

There's no way to read second-hand online content, but I guess as long as someone, somewhere pays for it, I can convince myself I'm just reading their leftover edition.

Right...? Right...?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 14
@2 you are aware that The Stranger is free, yes?
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on February 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Goldy Urges Readers to Spend Nothing on Newspaper Information
Posted by j2patter on February 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 16
LOL.

Even a journalist won't pay for journalism. Astonishing.
Posted by Westlake, son! on February 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM · Report this
@16

Ten bucks says he's got his New Yorker subscription on autopay.

Journalists are like anyone else-- they'll pay for news that flatters their self-image.
Posted by robotslave on February 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM · Report this
I've been truncating the URL for years, but if I ever get an actual job that pays actual money I will redeem my debt of honor to the Times and subscribe.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on February 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM · Report this
skidmark 19
/thanks
Posted by skidmark on February 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM · Report this
Brooklyn Reader 20
You know, I'd happily pay a buck a week or so for the NYT online, but that's not one of the options.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM · Report this
Arsfrisco 21
what @7 said. Just clear your cookies. Always works.
Posted by Arsfrisco on February 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM · Report this
@13: There is a sort of method for getting at NYT online second-hand. NYT allows web surfers to read articles freely that they locate by way of some alternate sites. If you do a Google search using the title of the article, you will often find websites -- i.e., blogs, feeds, etc. -- that abstract the stories and link to their NYT pages. If you follow those links you can read them without encountering any paywall grief.
Posted by Carlito on March 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
This works, if you have AdBlock installed in your browser:

Go to AdBlock options, click on the 'customize' tab, click 'edit' to manually edit your filters, paste this in, and hit save:

*://*.nytimes.com/*/gwy.js*
*://*.nytimes.com/*/gw.js*

Posted by milks on April 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
Milks, that's brilliant. However, NYTimes now has a link at the bottom of all articles saying "To see full article, subscribe here." How do we get around this??
Posted by g2dogg714 on May 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
If you really want to impress me, tell me how to bypass the paywall for NYTimes Archive articles.
Posted by rob65 on November 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this