a windmill gun? honestly? you are four times more likely to kill your own windmill.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on February 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 2
After this and Goldy's bazooka, is everyone at the Stranger armed?
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
That looks like a kick-ass bong.
Posted by Nothing Valuable to Add on February 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
COMTE 4
The problem here of course is that, while these pieces (I'm guessing the gun is from the "Disasterware" series?) don't include all the Nazi-symbolism, they are still quite clearly Cross' work.

OTOH, apparently Hitler's pre-Nazi art sells for more than one might expect, so there may still be a market for Cross after this blows over.
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on February 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Dan, what did that ceramic rabbit ever do to you?

How the fuck long does it take to dust all your knick-knacks anyway?
Posted by SeattleKim on February 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
despicable me 6
Ooh, big gay is armed and dangerous.

Can I assume the music box plays "Oh, Danny boy"?
Posted by despicable me on February 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
samktg 7
At the very least you might want to box those up.
Posted by samktg on February 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM · Report this
the heathen 8
My wife (beloved troll annoyer Lissa) is so going to covet that rabbit. The made by crazy holocaust denier may put her off a bit though. That S&W in the presentation case behind it, yeah we’re both going to covet that. Damn I hate it when people with ugly, repulsive beliefs make beautiful things I want to own. The cognitive dissonance it burns, it burns.
Posted by the heathen on February 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
yelahneb 9
Looks like Dan's got his own mementos to bash tomorrow night.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 10
I'd love to hear an explanation for the appeal of a ceramic rabbit with a knife in its back. To me, that's violent, mean-spirited, tasteless etc etc. If shock and thought provoking is what you want, I recommend Krafft's "Forgiveness" series.
Posted by dnt trust me on February 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM · Report this
@6: Indeed it does. Semi-ironic gift from my mother.
Posted by Dan Savage on February 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM · Report this
gttrgst 13
Those would look stunning bookending a Princess Di commemorative plate.
Posted by gttrgst on February 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
despicable me 14
Mothers are like that. Yeah, they are!

Dan, post a video for us of the music box! In the mean time though, here's one of my favorite versions (so far) to tide us over.

Posted by despicable me on February 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM · Report this
camlux 15
The Delft revolver should match your teacup set nicely. Did it come with a sugar bowl, creamer and holster?
Posted by camlux on February 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 16
Nice taste in art Dan, I have admired Krafft's work since I first saw it. I am quite envious of your collection.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
saxfanatic 17
That revolver reminds us to defend our hard-won independence from the Netherlands.

Thus I'm also reminded of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr…
Posted by saxfanatic on February 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
@16: It's Terry's taste, not mine. He collects ceramics, I collect garbage.
Posted by Dan Savage on February 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 19
My pearl handled Saturday night special fits nicely in my purse. Trade in that monster, unless you're a size Queen.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM · Report this
sirkowski 20
@18 No, obviously Terry collects garbage too.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM · Report this
Fnarf 21
BTW, that's your mantel, not your mantle. A mantle is a cloak, or the layer of the earth under the crust. Perhaps the word "lintel" can help you remember which is which.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM · Report this
YOU KNOW: You could sell these at auction, and donate the proceeds to some pro-humanity charity. Wouldn't that get little Hitler's panties in a twist?
Posted by Otto Toot Otto on February 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM · Report this
I like this version of Danny Boy (visuals NSFW due to violence):

Posted by clashfan on February 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM · Report this
Lissa 24
My husband speaks the truth. I want that damn rabbit.
Posted by Lissa on February 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM · Report this
@21, and I was going to channel my late mother's insistence that a mantel is only properly called that when an actual fireplace is beneath. The sunlight on these objects suggests this what my mama would be willing to call a "mantelpiece" at most.

But for all I know Dan's takes after the famous mantel of the old Hollywood roué Robert Evans. He commissioned a window over his living room mantel, two chimneys venting through the columns either side.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM · Report this
Posted by soggydan on February 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM · Report this
Now I want to know what Terry thinks, since he chose the piece. Is this art less worthy because the artist appers to be a bad person? Or because the image is disturbing?
Posted by yuiop on February 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM · Report this
Goldy might be able to hook up you with a gun buy-back program for that :P
Posted by j2patter on February 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM · Report this
Bah, I meant "hook you up"....tired....
Posted by j2patter on February 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM · Report this
Also what happened to that other slog post about the discussion in the comments/facebook at the piece? Was I just imagining things.
Posted by j2patter on February 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM · Report this
Reverend Tap 31
@10: I think you're being rather too harsh based purely on subject matter. It's an interesting visual juxtaposition; not only in the fact that it's a rabbit and a knife, but the ceramic style, the somewhat surreal mix of realistic and unrealistic components, and even the cultural associations inherent in the two combined objects. It's macabre and designed for some degree of shock value, yes, but it strikes me as much more intriguing and successful a piece than the somewhat flat pieces you linked, and some people simply like macabre art.

Were it a more realistic piece, with the rabbit reacting to being stabbed or even being rendered in such a way as to look like a real rabbit, calling it "mean spirited" would make more sense. As it is, though, the piece doesn't strike me as having anything directly to do with rabbits at all; it's all about imagery and evocation of clashing emotional responses.

I'm not from the area and not familiar with this particular artist, so my interpretation may be way off, but speaking as someone who would gladly display the piece in my home, that's how it appears to me.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on February 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM · Report this
katrat 32
Everyone at a party I attended last night kept demanding to know what I was now going to do with my Charles Kraft collection. I love my Delft grenade and intend to keep it: it was bought in a spirit of irony which I found creepy and complex and compelling. I knew Kraft is a disturbing freak after unfortunately engaging with him at a show. I may, however, jettison the plate with a photo of flowers on it that was apparently taken by Hitler, because that is now not much more than abhorrent.
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on February 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM · Report this
persimmon 33
Meh. Death of the author. Disassociate his intentions from your interpretations.
Posted by persimmon on February 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 34
@32
What do you want for it?
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM · Report this
Reverend Tap 35
@33: Whaaaat? Art doesn't exist in a vacuum, especially if the art in question is social commentary. You don't have to like the artist or agree with him or whatever to appreciate the skill that went into the art, but the artist and the intent/message behind the pieces are inexorably linked. Intentionally pretending otherwise is willful blindness.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on February 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM · Report this
Gah, I seem to be dealing with similar conversations this whole week. What's it with creative people turning out to be rabid bigots?

For example, the author of Ender's Game who is a huge homophobe and vocal supporter of Prop 8, recently got signed on to do a series of Superman comics. Now a bunch of my gay supportive geek friends have been debating in any way supporting this guy's work. Does the bigotry of the artist irreversibly taint the art?

I fell on the side of yes at the beginning. I'm a fan of Black Metal music and I take a real effort to avoid any groups that support Neo-Nazi movements or ideologies (it's a small but annoying vocal part of the genre). I don't want my money going to movements that make this world worse.

However my friends argued that to completely isolate bigots does not cure their bigotry. Also, it can become unwieldy to navigate the cultural landscape while maintaining constant attention to the sympathies of those you encounter.

I'm still not sure what my position on the issue is but based on that article and the comments section the guy sound like a total fucking tool. Unless he has some friends good enough to pull him out of the sewage he's immersed himself in he will only serve to taint others who associate with him.
Posted by MarquisDesMoines on February 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this