Nice pun.
Posted by wxPDX on February 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 2
I agree that the imminence of the threat is over-stated, there.

But I'm still really skeptical that the feds are going to keep their hands off. Obama said he'd leave users alone, and I don't think he chose his words carelessly. A state licensed store selling weed would/will meet every federal definition of a "distributor" and no one has said that they are going to leave distributors alone.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. And I stand behind what we're doing here in WA. But it's going to be interesting times here, one way or another.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 3

@2) While I agree that the feds may file an injunction against the states at some point, or they could prosecute folks who have licenses to grow and sell, I just want to be clear that that's not what Kerlikowske said. It's dishonest for any media outlet to misrepresent it that way.

Posted by Dominic Holden on February 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM · Report this
fletc3her 4
It's interesting that Seattle's former police chief is the current drug czar. At the least he should be familiar with many of the politicians who he will be corresponding with about the implementation of the legal marijuana market.
Posted by fletc3her on February 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM · Report this
theophrastus 5
@5: when he was still police chief here (and not at all a bad one compared with others that have held that office) he was waving around city-hall, and else-where, a 'reefer-madness' screed produced by the Bush administration tabacco lobby that amounted to "super-weed shall bring down the republic!!!". various folks tried to calm him, but he was uncalmable; then he left for the national drug czar position. so apparently he's still focused on that distorted point of view.
Posted by theophrastus on February 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 6
@4 True. And most police chiefs have pretty progressive views w/ respect to the failings of the War on Drugs. Makes one wonder about any internal conflicts Kerlikowske has about that and his current position as Drug Czar.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 7
@5 Shit, I stand corrected.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Start a betting pool on who will be busted first.
Posted by pupuguru http://www.godsweed.org on February 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 10
I know this is off topic but the Illinois Senate is debating on marriage equality NOW:

live stream: http://new.livestream.com/blueroomstream…

live blog:

another live stream:

Posted by passionate_jus on February 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
@8 expect sting operations where under 21 buyers try to buy 2 ounces, after a long sob story about why they can't come in every day.

Also, any grow op within 100 miles of the border.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 12
@3--Fair enough!

Eternal vigilance, and all of that...

Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM · Report this
watchout5 13
I'm one of those people, show me the pictures of the feds raiding places. Until then, I just don't see the kind of mass bust this warning seems to carry with it. Thanks for the reporting, better safe than sorry but calm down. Also, none of this changes my consumption patters of pot, I hope someone in the federal government understands that even in their most extreme they have no power over what I decide to put in my lungs.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Hey, nice writing. If you can stand that it’s an anecdote, my observations are based on a particular incident.
As a Calif. resident, I supported (as a referendum) Prop. 19 for legalization although it wasn’t well-written and likely didn’t have a legal leg to stand on. What finally swayed me as a new Wash. resident to support I-502 was a Stranger article pointing out how current marijuana laws had been used as a proxy for racial profiling.
This article (http://bit.ly/Zn6tXU) describes a chilling event regarding a dispensary bust in a remote, ultra-conservative town in California (it has a few inaccuracies: the “handful” of residents was well over a hundred, significant in a city of less than 30,000). In the dead of night, NCIS with the assistance of every other police force within 50 miles (not an exaggeration) storm-trooped into the residence at the back of the dispensary, dragging away the residents in their underwear. It was not on Navy property. It was three doors down from my house - nearly 10 miles from the nearest gate entering the Base, and miles outside the City limits.
The dispensary was cleanly and securely run. They had recently obtained a legal ruling enabling them to re-open (as the only dispensary within nearly 100 miles). Would it be too speculative to say this was a politically-driven bust in retaliation for pissing off the very conservative members running the City and Base?
Perhaps not when one considers what also was happening in close proximity to the Base: an illegal cartel grow in one of the BLM wilderness canyons just to the west. The bust occurred just weeks after all BLM personnel were notified by the DEA of the grow and to abstain from entering the canyon for the rest of the year.
Afterwards, meth labs in my neighborhood continued to burn to the ground at the rate of two to three a year – in an area of maybe two hundred homes (Google map “Buttermilk Acres” and count for yourself).
No action was ever taken against the grow.
@13 No pictures exist and no further details have ever been released. This story has nearly disappeared and no one’s heard from the dispensary operators since.
More...
Posted by Smurf Hunter on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM · Report this
No action was ever taken against the grow.
More...
Posted by Smurf Hunter on February 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM · Report this
DEA is still busting growers and dispensaries that are legal under state laws, not to mention feral hemp fields everywhere. And 50% of drug arrests are for simple marijuana possession. How could they pass up that easy money?
US citizens, you can 1) Vote 2) Petition 3) Use your power of jury nullificaiton - a juror can vote to aquit if he or she feels the law is unjust or misapplied. Also, vote with your money - join groups like mpp or norml and buy hemp.
Posted by fighting4commonsense on March 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM · Report this
#13 - Pics & facts are easy to find on the web.
Posted by fighting4commonsense on March 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM · Report this