Will in Seattle 1
So, which group are we, hustlers or grifters?

I remember a very sexy chess game back when I young, does that count?

Give my passes to some teen outside EMP who wouldn't get in otherwise.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM · Report this
A few months after World of Warcraft came out (around Feb 2005) I led a group of the highest level players on the server with the goal of killing the only "raid boss" that was accessible at the time: Onyxia the dragon.

Doing a raid on a boss took 40 max-level people working together, using voice-chat software (complimented by in-game chat) to coordinate during the fight and come up with strategies.

For about a week 40 of us had spent 3-5 hours per night repeatedly dying in attempt to kill Onyxia. At the time less than a dozen groups had killed her in the entire game. This was before WoW was a mainstream game and before anything like strategy-guides for it existed.

We were getting close, and were figuring out the final phase of the battle. Someone started recording videos of the raid and captured an extremely emotional moment: when we all died less than 1% away from our goal. This is that video (audio required):

What you're setting is Onyxia (the big dragon) finishing up killing every member of our raid with less than 1% of her health remaining. As soon as she begins to reset -- signifying we had failed yet again -- the entire chat blows up in angry nerds, myself included.

If I recall correctly, we gave up for the night after this failure, and came back to kill her the next day. It would be a month or two before anyone else on our server accomplished killing her. Someone also recorded the full first kill which contains all of the voice-chat and the response when, after over a week of work, we finally accomplished what we were after. That video (228 megs) is available here: http://discore.org/Goonifistvsonyxia.wmv
More...
Posted by Swearengen on February 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM · Report this
I have a monkey island tattoo from there anti piracy code wheel that the original game came with, i need me some free tickets!
Posted by AndrewB! on February 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Arsenic7 4
Years ago, in the early 90's, I somehow managed to convince my divorced mother, who was working in a nursing home at the time, to purchase for my brother and I a copy of Final Fantasy 6. I now know that this game retailed for something like 70 dollars. You can buy whole game systems for the adjusted value of that much cash these days.

In any case, this game dealt with some pretty advanced concepts. One character has no knowledge of who she is. Another starts out as a general in the villains army and redeems herself over the course of the game. Another has lost his wife and child. The sibling rivalry was particularly poignant for me. There's also a sort of love triangle that goes on throughout the game that gives rise to several really touching and sad moments.

In particular, one scene sees a member of your party enlisted into playing a role in an opera (she bears a resemblance to the missing star). Now, there is no voice acting in this game, just hours and hours of text, but in this particular scene, I, an 11 year old boy, am given the responsibility of memorizing the lyrics to this scene in the play and selecting them while this haunting simulacrum of a human voice plays over the crackling speakers of my television. The character in the play is forlorn, she'll never see her true love again, everything is hopeless. At the end of it all I was in tears.

Later in the game, this same song plays as that very same character leaps from a cliff face, ostensibly committing suicide. Oh man.
Posted by Arsenic7 on February 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM · Report this
My first memory of seeing or playing Street Fighter II when I was a kid was during a family visit to NY in my old ketamin addicted cousin's bedroom. I remember wanting so badly to play, and so badly wanting to see what that sassy looking girl character could do, but my brother and older cousins wouldn't let me play, and absolutely would not play as the girl. Pig bitches.
When I finally got to experience the glory of Chun Li for the first time was when the 7/11 near my parents' house got a SFII machine. I got to see her move, got to choose her alternate costume color, got to play half of a round until my dad would pull me away, back into the car, because he was done pumping gas. And there was no reason to let this child enjoy itself.
The night I finally saved enough of my own money to buy a used copy of SFII I had butterflies in my stomache. I'd never had that feeling before. Long story short, the next 10 years of my life were dedicated to the godess Chun Li. She has been a driving force and an influence on my life. She helped me understand that it's ok to have big thighs. She taught me how to spread my legs and spin on my head, how to jump on a dudes head if he tryin' to rape you, and how to throw shade from across the room while someone is making direct eye contact with you. Bitch changed my life, and made me a stronger person.

YATA!
Posted by fazzyfaz on February 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
My five year old LOVES the Seattle Pinball Museum and now sleeps with a pinball he was given on his last visit. Hardly a warm and fuzzy thing to snuggle with but he wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted by MrPeaches on February 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
KotOR: Forcing Zaalbar to kill his partner Mission made me ill, using his Wookie life debt to me against his only friend.

It made sense for my version of Revan... no split loyalties allowed... but the memory is still foul. It conveyed to me the idea of evil better than any other moment in the SW universe, something beyond just generic "badness", the twisting of someone's best qualities to produce horrific outcomes in the name of autocratic control. It still bothers me a bit that I could press that button, just to see what would happen.

Where games can surpass other media is in making their audience own what they experience. A villainous character in fiction can be delightful to follow, and can be empathized with, but a reader rarely feels like they have a hand in the deeds of the villain. In the case of KotOR, I wanted to see Revan's ruthless rise to power, but to achieve that I had to become complicit in his actions.
Posted by dirge on February 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Knat 8
When I was a tween, I was really into the first Hero's Quest game (later renamed "Quest for Glory"). I must have played it through a total of four to five times, which, as a youngster who had to fight for time to use the family computer, I consider quite an achievement.

It was my father - a supportive man with no interest in video games and little understanding of them for the most part - who unwittingly provided me a huge insight into one of the tenants of role-playing games: looting.

It was while I was doing some combat skills "grinding" one day that my father was walking through the living room, and glanced over my shoulder to see what I was up to in my game. I had just killed a goblin, and as my freshly-aerated adversary crumpled to the ground in deceased defeat, my character went sprinting off toward the neighboring forest zone to initiate another random confrontation.

"What, that's it?"

I turned in my chair, dreading the argument about violence in games that we were about to rehash. "Don't worry Dad, that's not all there is to this game. I have to kill monsters so I get stronger, becau--"

"No, I mean you already killed him. You might as well rob him too."

The idea gave me pause. The game had a pretty involved set of possible player interactions, so maybe that was possible. I'd never considered it before, but it was worth a try. In the worst case scenario, the game would merely reply that it couldn't understand what I was attempting to do.

>search body
YOU FIND 8 SILVERS

My eyes opened in wonderment at this insight. No more would I be limited to the meager income of mucking out the castle stables every morning. With this new found method of income to shower me with wealth, I could buy the equipment and supplies I needed to advance the adventure more on my timetable. I would be able to purchase healing potions, rather than being forced to run from battle and to wait out the clock to sleep and be healed at the magic glen. This was a revelation!

This defining moment would form the basis of many later gaming activities, resulting in untold levels of profitable murder and mayhem inside virtual worlds. I explained this was the moment that helped me realize that in-game murder was not only character-building and fun, but also profitable! To this day, when I assassinate drug dealers on the streets of San Andreas for the money on their person, or massacre an entire village of orcs in Falkreath Hold solely to pick over their dead bodies for sellable items, I remember my father, and his insightful guidance.

Some years ago, I attempted to convey all of this to my father. He was less proud than one might expect.
More...
Posted by Knat on February 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM · Report this
Knat 9
Okay, another, relatively shorter entry:

I love every aspect of Icewind Dale II, but the story is one of my favorites in any game I've ever played.

The antagonists of the story are twin cambions (half-demons), the products of rape within the events of the previous game. Their mother commits suicide shortly after giving birth, and when the children's adoptive mother dies of natural causes a few years later, the children are blamed and run out of town. The children live on the streets of a large, corrupt city nearby for some time, doing whatever necessary to survive. Eventually they seek out their demonic father, who also rejects them.

Finding that the societies of both halves of their lineage reject them, they attempt to form their own nation for freaks and the unwanted in an uninhabited area in the frigid north. They send out emissaries, and one returns with a gift from a nearby mayor. The "gift" turns out to be poisoned food, which nearly kills the twins.

This act proves to be the last straw in their willingness to tolerate others, and the twins launch a war to wipe out all those who had offended or harmed them in the past, including all others who would aid the targets of the twins' retribution.

At the end of the game, I actually felt sympathy for the villains. Their entire lives were soaked in rejection and hatred. As the twins are being destroyed at the finale - in part due to one last betrayal from a trusted ally - I couldn't hate them. They had been distrusted, bullied, rejected, insulted, mocked, or outright attacked by nearly every member of society they'd ever interacted with their whole lives, and a person can only absorb so much hate before they reflect it back at society. Sure, they were responsible for untold levels of misery and death by the end of the story, but it all could have been avoided had the small-minded people of their village been more accepting of them as children.
More...
Posted by Knat on February 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM · Report this
guerre 10
It was the summer before my sophomore year in college. I had few friends and no girlfriend. I was able to convince an old friend from back in middle school to live together. In order to get him to like and and seem like one of his peers, I read up on all things video game and computer/consul related. I don't know about now, but I was able to talk in all this parties about games I had never seen
Posted by guerre on February 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM · Report this