CC-Rob 1
Hooray! Senator Booker! The same guy who complained that it was unfair for the Obama campaign to criticize Bain Capital! Finally, change we can believe in!
Posted by CC-Rob on February 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM · Report this
I just don't understand the Booker love. I'm a regular Slog reader, New Jersey resident, and progressive and can tell you that he is just not an effective leader. He might put on a good show, but as a mayor he has been more concerned about his profile than about doing the hard work of running a city. Besides, his self promotion as a superhero borders on pathological
Posted by jerzee on February 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM · Report this
ScienceNerd 3
I agree with 2. I am on his mailing list and Facebook. Everything he posts is in some way about how great he is. Makes me a little sick. I realize you have to be a little like that as a politician, but give me a break.
Posted by ScienceNerd on February 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 4
It will be an interesting Democratic Primary, between Booker and Congressmember Frank Pallone, who I've read is more progressive.

Since I don't follow NJ politics that much I really don't have a favorite at this time.

I mostly like Booker but his comments about Obama and Bain Capitol (see #1) really irked me and I've read that he is really pro Wall Street. Of course I've also read that every politician in NJ is pro Wall Street and that he is fairly progressive. He has done a lot for marriage equality for instance.

Of course it would be good to have a black Democratic Senator since there is only one other black Senator and he's a crazy ultra conservative Republican. But I don't vote for candidates solely on race or gender and I'd rather have a white progressive than a black moderate.

The last time a Republican won was in 1972 so this seat is most likely going to be determined in the primary.

So, who knows?
Posted by passionate_jus on February 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM · Report this
Rotten666 5
Mark my words, this guy is going down in flames one day. either some tawdry sex scandal, or stacks of cash in the freezer.
Posted by Rotten666 on February 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM · Report this
Ugh. Booker is a neo-liberal, Michelle-Rhee-loving narcissist. All talk, no substance. I see a Rodney Tom move in his future.
Posted by StuckInUtah on February 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM · Report this
Clara T 7
FINALLY the Senate gets a quality starting running back. Might even re-up my season tickets.
Posted by Clara T on February 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 8

Booker is like some kind of Urban Superman that a Republican can vote for...I wish he'd switch sides!

From an appearance on Bill Maher:

"To me, the data should drive our decision making. So I know, I’m not afraid of people having guns who are law abiding citizens. In the analysis of gun murders and shootings in my city, I could only find one in the entire time I’ve been mayor – and unfortunately there have been hundreds and hundreds – where a person who was involved in a shooting where they had their gun legally, where they legally acquired their gun. The guns that are causing carnage in our cities, my city and our country, every single year are acquired illegally."…
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http:// on February 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 10
@1-3, 5-7: then it sounds like he's a perfect fit for the Senate.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM · Report this
He gives off the strongest possible vibe of "will be his own undoing". His petard is set to "auto-hoist". He's Mary Decker to his own Zola Budd. And the higher the office he manages to reach, the more Russian-meteoric the end. Pass the popcorn!
Posted by gloomy gus on February 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM · Report this
Clara T 12
I also find it alarming that we are now governed by men named Cory.
Posted by Clara T on February 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM · Report this
DOUG. 13
@4: Technically there are two black Senators currently serving.
Posted by DOUG. on February 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM · Report this
Doctor Memory 14
A phrase more than once used to describe GWB seems apropos:

"All hat and no cattle."
Posted by Doctor Memory on February 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM · Report this
@14, "a mile wide and an inch deep" also rings a bell.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM · Report this
@ 1 He misspoke get over it
Posted by Seattle14 on February 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 17
the more you haters bitch about him the more i want him to be the next president. he's a politician. how is he any worse than any other centrist democrat (except sen. warren)?
Posted by Max Solomon on February 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Doctor Memory 18
@17 The mayor of an embattled, sinking post-industrial city like Newark has a job to do. And by all accounts, Booker is largely ignoring it in favor of publicity stunts designed to launch his campaign for higher office.

I strongly recommend digging up Buzz Bissinger's "A Prayer for the City", his book on the Rendell administration's two terms in Philadelphia. Same set of challenges, but the contrast between Rendell's and Booker's approaches are telling.
Posted by Doctor Memory on February 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this