ScienceNerd 1
I line dry everything. I'm convinced it is less damaging for my clothes.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on February 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
You will tear my clotheslines out of my cold dead hands!

Global warming is NOW, children on the City Council!

Not tomorrow. TODAY.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 3
A tip for option 3. If you can't stand the crunch, tumble dry for a few minutes after you like dry. That's a tiny fraction of the energy of drying clothes completely, with the fluffy softness of machine dried clothes.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
There was a time when putting clean clothes outside to dry risked only the occasional bird poop. Now, there are so many poisons in the air that putting air dried sheets and clothes next to your skin is probably carcinogenic.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Q*bert H. Humphrey 5
@4, then I assume you only go outside nude to keep your clothing from picking up carcinogens.
Posted by Q*bert H. Humphrey on February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
I find clotheslines to be aesthetically very pleasing.
Posted by Totalpukoid on February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
How do you assholes always manage to make polls where every single answer is ridiculous? I like line drying, and I think caterwauling about your RIGHT TO DO IT is goddamn stupid.
Posted by beef rallard on February 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Knat 8
Why is this even a discussion in Seattle? For 2/3 of the year, it's too wet and cold for your clothes to ever fully dry, and if you actually have the space to put your clothes on a line, that means you own your own home and can do what you want. To frame this as a climate change issue just makes one look ridiculous.

Also, you could have warned us that the ridiculous site for this campaign (replete with bare HTML on its front page and childish sound effects) automatically starts playing hillbilly music.
Posted by Knat on February 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Arkham 9
How is line drying even a viable option here? It's raining or misting so often. (This is an actual inquiry, not trolling.)
Posted by Arkham http://amaranta20.deviantart.com/gallery/ on February 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 10
@ 8, as long as clothes dryers use tons of energy, you bet your ass it's a climate change issue.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
Clotheslines, schmotheslines. When I were a lad, everyone in Seattle had a clothes drying tree in their back yard. They were great fun to play with, spin around, pinch your sister with the clothes pins, etc. Not so fun in the winter when daddy would take it down and you'd kick the concrete ground sleeve with your foot while running.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
I agree with #4. In our non-cold months, I keep the window open, and I'm always amazed at the crud that accumulates on my window sills -- crud that would be gathering on my clothes if I line-dried them.
Posted by Citizen R on February 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
@8 and @9 are right - and this legally binding Slog poll should have one more option to reflect the obvious:

"WFT - are you kidding? If you hang clothes on a line in Seattle they'll never get dry!"
Posted by SuperSteve on February 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 14
@8 In many places, clotheslines are pulleyed between apartments across an alley. Not so much here.

I hang some clothes up inside all year, using a simple clothes rod hung near my dryer. But I admit I hang clothes up for all of a month or two outside in our short summers, when I'm confident rain isn't on its way.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
@7 are you new to Slog?
Posted by Hanoumatoi on February 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
CATSPAW666 16
I am against clotheslines, as they lead to kitchens. And we all know what happens then.
Posted by CATSPAW666 on February 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 17
@13,

Or they might eventually get dry, but they'll smell like mildew.

I was line drying everything except my towels and sheets until my boyfriend moved in. His clothes are so large and heavy, there's no way they can get dry without smelling like mildew. So we dry his clothes in the dryer, and since the dryer's running anyway, we throw my clothes in there too.

I'm a little conflicted about the law, I think mainly because I don't want to see people's gross granny panties/torn up boxers.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 18
If your cause is righteous your eagle should be shedding a tear.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on February 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM · Report this
I hang most of my clothes off my canopy bed. I dry sheets and towels because it would take forever and I don't have enough space around the bed. Maybe I need a king size bed?
Posted by Mugwumpt on February 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 20
I line dry inside my house during winter and then fluff dry. It's sort of fun; summer it's all outside. Lines strung all over hell, clothes, sheets, my black panties, all happily hanging about adding that festive Chinese laundry feel.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 21
In the 1950's-60's City Light (and every other utility) was really pushing electric dryers, and there was a campaign to portray clotheslines as old-fashioned. My late chum Mary Norris (City Light's Home Economist) spoke out against them in her TV show and newspaper column.

But it should be noted that the electric dryer was the last in a string of improvements in what had previously been a hateful, thankless process. It may be quaint now, but it was a pain to do laundry before electricity - particularly before the thermostatically controlled water heater.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM · Report this
Clothing has a chance to get dry in the weather we have?
Posted by treehugger on February 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Knat 23
@10: And you're welcome to pursue that, but be aware that people will generally dismiss you as being some crunchy hippie (and not just because your clothes will be crunchy) because most are not aware it's such a power suck. It would probably be more effective to point out how much they cost in electricity relative to everything else that's on a lot more.
Posted by Knat on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 24
A modern high-efficiency washer makes your dryer more efficient by rinsing and spinning clothes more thoroughly, meaning less dryer time (if you use the dying sensor option, rather than the timed option. The timed option is for Republicans)

Also, the medium setting works just as well as the high setting for the dryer heat.

Lastly, make sure you clean the lint trap EVERY time you use it. And clean the vent hose every six months or so. Take the front off of the dryer and vacuum it put annually. All of this will make your dryer more efficient, and help reduce the danger of fires.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 25
@24 all great advice.

"vacuum it out annually" Almost thought I was in the wrong thread.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 26
Oh me and my fumblefingers....
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM · Report this
@13 and others before and after you: have you ever heard of a place called Japan, where the humidity is ever so much higher than Seattle?
Have you ever noticed how much they rely on line-drying there? It's a fuck of a lot.
Posted by aiff on February 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM · Report this
That website looks a bit too professional to be believed. I suspect it's astroturf backed by the clothespin lobby. Just a theory, but someone needs to investigate.
Posted by colinrichardson on February 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 29
After reading this I walked around the Ravenna and Bryant Park areas looking for cloths lines. I only seen 3 that were up in anyone's yards.

Growing up on Gallifrey everyone didn't have the tree, but most everyone had the two crosses with the lines stretched out between them. they worked great.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on February 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 30
@ 23, I can't believe they don't have refrigerators on that page.

Anyway, don't worry about the crunch of my laundry. As others have suggested, you can finish them in the dryer on the no heat cycle (called air fluff on older models) - five minutes is sufficient, and it doesn't blow off that wonderful line-dried smell.

That said, I never line dried in Seattle. I was always an apt. dweller during my time there, so there weren't any clotheslines. (I had to flat dry sweaters, but that was always indoors.)

@ 27, is Japan sunnier than Seattle? Direct sun is the most important thing for line drying. Laundry dries faster when it's 50º and sunny than 70º but cloudy.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 31
If you really want to know how much your appliances cost, check out a kill-a-watt from the Seattle Public Library, plug the appliance your are interested in into it for 24 hours, and observe how many kilowatt hours it consumes. Then multiply that by .08. That is the daily cost.

You can't do that with 240v appliances, of course, but you can find out a lot about your plug load that way.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Once we're all living in Charles's shoeboxes with buildings crammed with 5 feet of each other we won't even have closet space to hang our clothes, nevermind clotheslines.
Posted by bigyaz on February 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM · Report this
Ever been to Venice? It makes a lot of lists of possibly the prettiest, most charming cities in the world. Settle yourself into a gondola, drift through those dreamy canals. Now look up. Yep. Clothes hanging from the bridges, clothes hanging from lines across the canal. Spoil your vacation? It kind of made the place for me. It told me there are real people living in this calendar-photo town, not just power-hogging esthetes who can't stand the sight of undies.
Posted by clembeham on February 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM · Report this
This is such a non-issue! OF COURSE, it's good to line dry laundry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Brooknook on February 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Why would you ban something that is really beneficial? Line-drying is the best and most simplest way to dry your clothes. Plus you get to help the environment as you spend lesser energy.
Posted by Kenneth Lawrence on August 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM · Report this