pdonahue 1
Lately spring has come so late my presidents day peas have rotted in the ground, use a greenhouse like device.
Posted by pdonahue on February 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
What's the plastic for? Weed barrier (I doubt it, but I've seen it used that way) or greenhouse?
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Goldy 3
@2 Those are floating row covers. Kind of like a thin, porous, Tyvek material that lets light, air, and water through, but insects and other small pests out.

But in my garden they mostly serve to warm the soil a few degrees underneath, so as to speed up germination and protect young seedlings from cold night time temperatures. I remove them once the seedling are a couple inches tall.
Posted by Goldy on February 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM · Report this
Gurldoggie 4
Very useful information. Thanks.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on February 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
Thanks.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 6
@3 Does hay do the same thing? Or does it rot the baby plants? I suppose it's too messy to compost hay.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Goldy 7
@6 Floating row covers are light enough that seedlings will lift them as they grow, while acting as a sort of mini greenhouse. So not really the same as hay.
Posted by Goldy on February 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM · Report this
I have faith in your seeds Goldy, I will pray for them.
Posted by Brandon J. on February 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM · Report this
Chances are a lot of these seeds won't make it.
But time is precious and seeds are cheap,
so weather permitting
I'll just fill in the gaps in a couple weeks,
both enhancing and extending:
the harvest.

I can always buy more seeds,
but February
only comes once a year.

this is how i read it. kind of like a poem. good luck with the garden.
Posted by grace on February 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 10
I have always heard to plant peas on valentines day, but close enough, in fact I kinda like presidents day more cause it starts with P. Peas are pretty tough and can take a freeze or even go into frozen soil, Replant every two weeks to stagger harvest and fill the gaps. The row cover is a good idea for pest though. Turning beds now is a little bit behind, they should have been turned and limed in fall.

My personal favorites are
Cascadia snap peas

and

Oregon Sugar Pod II snow peas

Both are enation and powdery mildew resistant.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this