Phoebe in Wallingford 1
Design errors? It's also cheap inferior Chinese cement they used instead of the cement we have here.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2
So I went out to Fred Meyer to get cream cheese for my Dave's Killer Bagel. There were about 40 kinds of Philadelphia and I selected Regular because I just wanted plain cream cheese. When I get home I notice that the image has little bits of green stuff on it and then, oh no, the fine print says "chives and onion".

Is this what Regular means these days. Can I not get a product which is not "pre flavored" for me. No, I don't want almond syrup in my latte, and I never will!!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM · Report this
care bear 3
@2 I think you need glasses.
Posted by care bear on February 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Remember the chained CPI cut to SS benefits proposed by Obama in December? Well, it's still part of the administration last proposal to Boehner (although it was renamed "Savings from Superlative CPI with protections for vulnerable").

Remember the additional cuts in the sequester were supposed to 50-50 between defense and the rest? Well, Obama's last proposal amounts are 1 part defense to 8 parts for the rest, including $400 billion cut to medicare and Medicaid. Don't worry though, they are called 'savings' so everything should be OK.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/… (pdf)
Posted by anon1256 on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 5
Sorry, Phoebe. That's what happens when the contractor sources the cheapest material possible. Which is pretty much a given because of the federally-mandated low-bid process our public agencies must follow.

Otherwise you pearl-clutching biddies would be squawking about the high cost of State projects.

In order to submit the lowest bid, the contractor had to beat all his competitors and source the cheapest material allowed. Would you rather we scrap the low-bid process? Are you okay with project costs being uncontrolled from here on out?

Or does the free market always provide the best solution at the best price?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 6
@5: I knew that, and I agree with you that the lowest-bid requirement should be removed. And that's not being incongruous with a free market system. You wouldn't expect me to wear the cheapest pearls, now would you dear?
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
@1 is correct, although I was surprised to find they didn't have end cap reinforcement on the pontoons, considering where the stressors would be.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 8
Phoebe: I do not believe the low-bid requirement should be removed. Don't put words in my mouth. I was explaining it to you because of your history of being vapidly stupid about how the real world works.

And you shouldn't wear pearls before five anyway.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM · Report this
What "free market"?

Why Should Taxpayers Give Big Banks $83 Billion a Year?

So what if we told you that, by our calculations, the largest U.S. banks aren’t really profitable at all? What if the billions of dollars they allegedly earn for their shareholders were almost entirely a gift from U.S. taxpayers?

Posted by anon1256 on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Andrew_Taylor 10
Another good headline: Child tells cop ‘Those are my daddy's hoes’

- See more at: http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/chil…
Posted by Andrew_Taylor on February 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 11
@9: Uh, sgt. doom?

Is that you?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM · Report this
@11 - Why? anybody who questions your complacency (and SLOG's) must be Sgt. Doom? is that it?
Posted by anon1256 on February 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 13
@8: So my link to a news item is an example of being "vapidly stupid about how the real world works" - you're enjoying this a little too much. It's starting to show.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 14
@11 - Well that would explain a lot.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on February 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 15
@12 - That's not a no.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on February 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM · Report this
@14 - Explain what? (not that I expect a coherent answer from you)
Posted by anon1256 on February 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 17
@12,

I don't know if you noticed, but sgt. doom posts almost entirely in bold and italics. I originally didn't do more than glance at your post @9 because I assumed it was him.

In the future, when quoting an article, you'd be better off using the blockquote tag.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM · Report this
@17 - Thanks for the suggestion. The bold/italic combination is a possibility but, somehow, I have the feeling that the comments above are more about Dem loyalists and "moderates" not liking to see criticisms of their dear leader and his biz as usual policies (in spite of his lofty rhetoric claiming the opposite).

For the record, I have been reading SLOG for the best part of a year now and I find many of Doom's posts informative (especially the links) even though I regularly do not agree with him or his approach (I am also not fond of reading folks dismissing everything he says as a conspiracy). In any case, he is no more bothersome to me than a number of other posters.
Posted by anon1256 on February 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
@2 Quick question: Is that really what it's like to be a loser?
Posted by You drippy zero on February 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Sandiai 20

Can someone tell me what happened between the octopus and the shark?
Posted by Sandiai on February 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM · Report this