bleedingheartlibertarian 1
Well it's not my week to speak for all white people, but for what it's worth, I agree.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
A Mudede post that is actually inspiring me to think. This is going to be a red letter day.

Charles, you bring up a valid point, I think. But I will point out that the boy was riding without a seatbelt, which is inarguably irresponsible and possibly considered to be child endangerment these days. As far as I know, neither the Ramseys nor any other baby beauty pageant contestant's parents are taking their girls without seatbelts and appropriate booster seats. But we know that it wasn't the fact that "Coke Boy" was riding without his that brought them attention in the first place.

That said, if a white family is sufficiently trashy (and I've seen white trash boys behave like little sexist pigs), there's not much difference between their experiences and those of minorities. It would be interesting if something virtually identical was done by a white family somewhere.

When Jon-Bonet Ramsey was murdered, I remember the general outrage at the idea of prepubescent beauty pageants that arose. They were not a well known thing before this case. But there was nothing really illegal about it. We can condemn the values behind them, but there was nothing rising to the level of endangerment, so there was nothing to be done legally.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
Lil Poopy can't afford high priced attorneys that intimidate state lawyers. Jonbenet's parents could and did.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM · Report this
I think the real crime is letting that kid near the microphone.
Posted by sugarbear on February 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
Reminds me of the film Little Miss Sunshine. Still has one of the greatest endings I've ever seen.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM · Report this
The difference? That was then, this is now. There have been a lot of changes since JonBenet's case shed a lot of light on child exploitation. We should be learning from that whole Ramsey mess, not trying to use it as an excuse to get by with something else.
Posted by Mobsy on February 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM · Report this
Arsenic7 8
Guys, the same pageants Jon Benet participated in are still going on, unchanged, today. So I don't know where this talk of "we've moved on" is coming from. Charles actually has a point here.
Posted by Arsenic7 on February 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM · Report this
lark 9
Charles,
I agree with you on this one. The Jon Benet tragedy I found creepy before her murder. I never knew much if anything about these child beauty pageants. Indeed, it's exploitation. And, just plain strange. @2 put it succinctly.
Posted by lark on February 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM · Report this