Cato the Younger Younger 1
Let me talk as someone who DOES volunteer work with the homeless in Seattle. I am not sure why homeless vets are held up more than what is apparently, the run of the mill homeless.

Seriously, the fact we have homeless is beyond fucked up, especially when we are creaming our pants hoping for another sports stadium filled with overpaid steroid filled adults who behave like 15 year olds.

ANY homelessness is hearbreaking not just vets or children...it's all fucking bad.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this

Just more than 1 in 200 people in the United States became homeless at some point during the year. The odds of becoming homeless were
greater than the odds of living in the state of New Hampshire (1 in 239).

Page 23
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 3
It is about time women started to challenge the Olde Boys Club that is homelessness. You go Grrrls!

@1: Hey, steriod use in sports is a really serious problem, and not something to joke about. For shame.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 4
I remember reading somewhere that if every church in the country took in just three homeless people, the problem would be solved.

(I don't recall where I read that so I can't give a cite, sorry)
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Page 38

Washington had the 3rd largest decrease, -12.8%, in homelessness 2010-11.

Here in Kent I've really noticed that.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this
Former Lurker 6
Maybe people should stop joining the military.
Posted by Former Lurker on February 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 7
@4,

They'd have to take eight.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 9
@1, re: "I am not sure why homeless vets are held up more than what is apparently, the run of the mill homeless."

For better or worse, people in the military are held on a patriotic pedestal--day in and out, they're actively protecting our freedoms from The Enemy. What's striking is how hollow that position is, given how many ex-military folks end up homeless after leaving service.

And yes, that lack of support is especially apparent when it comes to women leaving the military, who've been subjected not only to the expected trauma that corresponds with their work but the unexpected trauma of being sexually assaulted by their peers.

I agree with you, homelessness is bad, but that's pretty fucking awful.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on February 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this