What a load of crap. Send out fake letters and expect people to believe them.
Posted by floater on March 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
Just yesterday, I went to the Space Needle with some friends from out of town. It was terrifying. I couldn't see the Space Needle from inside the gift shop. Of course I blacked out, and when I came to, I would have been completely disoriented except that I was outside and laying on the ground, looking up at the Space Needle.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on March 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Oh please, Ms. Martinez. If the late, great Bagley Wright (no relation whatever to the Wrights who currently own the Needle) could see the bullshit PR campaign being used to fool the simple minded into writing nonsense like this,THAT's what would bother him.
Posted by gloomy gus on March 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
r.chops 4
Residents of Ballard respectfully request Queen Anne Hill be lowered by at least 100 ft.
Posted by r.chops on March 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 5
I can't see the Space Needle RIGHT NOW and I'm LIVID. I'm indoors, but that's besides the point.

Wasn't the Space Needle supposed to be temporary?
Posted by tabletop_joe on March 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
I'm actually kind of excited that the building going up across from me will block some of my view of the Space Needle.

But I'm also glad that the Funhouse got shut down so that I don't have to hear it anymore.
Posted by Tyler Pierce on March 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM · Report this
I'm incensed. My office faces the Space Needle and I can't see it either. Please raze the core of down town so I can see it from my office.
Posted by garumph on March 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
I can't see the Space Needle from my apartment! I mean, I live on Queen Anne and even though it's a west facing window, I DEMAND my view of the Space Needle. Seeing it as I walk down the hill to catch a bus isn't enough.

Dammit, why can't I get that Needle in my veins???

[too soon?]
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on March 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Seattle would be measurably improved if Rita and here luddite cohorts moved away.
Posted by Pol Pot on March 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
No view of the Space Needle, no peace! just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Posted by treehugger on March 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
Oh, geesh.

Just go watch the Fremont Sunday Market do the Harlem Shake on YouTube.

There, feel better?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 12
I am So. Fucking. Pissed. Off.

Sitting here in Eimsbüttel, Hamburg, Germany, and cannot see the goddamned Space Needle.

Fuck you, Paul Allen.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on March 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM · Report this
theophrastus 13
option #a: paint space-needleses on all new buildings. option #2: google-glass™ glasses which superimpose space-needle images on all facets o' life.

(furthermore) i want, nay, demand(!), a cartoon (or model made of starbucks trash) which precisely indicate current "rays of view" overlaid with anticipated blockage of same. or else, as a concerned citizen i'll forthwith stopped being concerned about this issue; sine-die/[burp]
Posted by theophrastus on March 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Cut down all the trees too. They're always in the way of my view of the Space Needle.
Posted by Rocky Mountain Ben on March 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
If all you people would just shut the fuck up and move away, we could put this glorious city back the way it was, when it was all surface parking lots as far as the eye can see, and you could see the Space Needle even if your head was up in your ass.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile @2 is really making me wish Slog had a "like" button.
Posted by d.p. on March 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Where do the needs and desires of the The Space Needle view movement align or diverge from the other powerful grassroots cause in the area, the "please block my view of the EMP" movement?
Posted by Jude Fawley on March 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
There's a Renton U-Haul with a Space Needle solution for all you whiners. It involves plywood and a little bit of good old-fashioned American can-do spirit. Every neighborhood can have their own, for cheap. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2549
Posted by alight on March 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 19
Rita Martinez is the long lost Latina black sheep person distantly related to Dina Martina on her Step father's cousin's side.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on March 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 20
@15 has a point. Back when nobody lived here, I could see the Space Needle from N 45th in Wallingford or just south of the Woodland Park Zoo, but then they built all these buildings and all these people from Cali and NY moved here.

(ignoring that I moved here from BC)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Gus 21
Why not build a new, larger Space Needle on top of Queen Anne, about twice the height of the current Space Needle (but starting higher -- so the tip would be about 3 times higher than the current Space Needle.

Visible from basically everywhere.
Posted by Gus on March 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM · Report this
biffp 22
If they want to build to 24 stories on the pretext of providing low income housing, the City better ensure it's 18 stories of low-income housing.
Posted by biffp on March 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
I can't see the Space Needle from here either! RAGE! Bulldoze Admiral hill in West Seattle and fill in Elliot bay so I can drive directly in a straight line to Seattle Center whilst simultaneously staring directly at the Space Needle!!!!
Posted by high and bi on March 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 24
I'm saving up money to have a permanent image of the Space Needle etched into my eyeballs. I think the city should be required to pay for at least half of the surgery.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on March 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
@21 good idea! We could call it the Super Space Needle!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Ah Seattle, home of "don't bother my view, and I won't bother you" rugged frontier individualism.

In Soviet Seattle, property owns you!

You have to just basically not understand anything about law to think that someone has got to be corrupt to "allow" things like people to buy land and then build things on it.

You might not like it, but it doesn't point to a global fucking conspiracy. It points to the principle of private property. Which we still happen to have. Not that I'm defending it. But it is the simple reality: you give someone with land some money, they let you do stuff with that land. It's not corruption to allow people to buy land and build things on it. It's capitalism. Change it if you don't like it. Don't point fingers from your deskchairs.
Posted by K on March 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
sloegin 28
If they build more needles, which way will I orient myself during prayer time?
Posted by sloegin on March 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 29
@25 we pay more taxes than you slackers in the rest of the state. Without us you'd freeze in the dark.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 30
I'm looking forward to all the hot pink buildings.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on March 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Simply Me 31
I was walking with friends recently through Seattle. It was appalling how many trees were blocking my view of the Space Needle. Clear cutting our trees is the best way to preserve our views of the Needle.

We should also immediately pass an ordinance banning future planting of trees, because once they grow up we will never get our views back.
Posted by Simply Me on March 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 32
@29: WIS, you're yelling at yourself.

what, exactly, is the space needle trying to fight here? the height limit proposals for area S of Denny & W of westlake?
Posted by Max Solomon on March 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 33
What if we go ahead and build around the Space Needle, but all construction should be required to be transparent. It could also solve the affordable housing thing, because how much could you really charge for a see-through apartment?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on March 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM · Report this
LOVE that the ad I'm currently seeing at the top of the page is asking me to write the Seattle City Council about protecting views of the Space Needle.

You know, we cannot see the Space Needle at all in Tacoma. I think I need to write the Seattle City Council about this grave injustice.
Posted by tacomamama http://tacomamama.com on March 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 36
@33 let's use transparent aluminum. It worked for Scotty when he saved the whales.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM · Report this
Took a screen grab of the ad, in case it's not showing up for everyone:
Posted by tacomamama http://tacomamama.com on March 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM · Report this
DOUG. 38
You can no longer see the Space Needle from the Alki Tavern.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on March 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM · Report this
After all this noise and campaigning, I think the City of Seattle should take the Space Needle by eminent domain and demolish it. Problem solved.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM · Report this
Clara T 40
The panic about space needle views is silly, but view easements are generally a good thing in resudential neighborhoods. That way bigger houses don't spring up one after the other like a film of falling dominoes run backward. View easements make housing fit more organically with the land and recognize that beautiful views are an asset worth protecting.
Posted by Clara T on March 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 41
I really don't understand the acidic commentary on this topic. Do we not like views of iconic landmarks anymore? I am pro-density and pro-view. There are reasonable compromises.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on March 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM · Report this
Oh my god. . . I - I cant see the space needle! Someone help me! I'm lost! I'm confused! Please god, let this torment END! Someone please call the cops! Call the paramedics!!! Send help at ONCE!!!
Posted by Desslok on March 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 43
"Mr. McGinn...TEAR DOWN THIS NEEDLE!!!"
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 44
@41, the problem is many of the voices crying over losing their view of the Space Needle are the same type who wanted to by high priced condos or rent expensive apartments on Capitol Hill to live right next to the "vibrant nightlife" and THEN turn around to bitch about that "vibrant nightlife" when it doesn't fit in with their sleep schedule.

Now people are crying that they want to live in their high priced homes near Lake Union with a "guaranteed" view of the Space Needle (I mean that's what the realtor promised right?) and are crying that development could change that.

If you want to live in a "world class city" and a city that is moving forward you have to let go of the past. And hell, we aren't getting rid of the damn thing. People just will have to (GOD FUCKING HELP US ALL) go outside (YIKES!!) and interact with other people (SUPER SCARY!) to watch the fireworks go off on the Space Needle.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 20, 2013 at 3:56 AM · Report this