Mary P. Traverse 1
YES! ALL OF THIS! Loved the twist, loved Pepper kicking ass, loved the handling of the kid. Yes yes yes.
Posted by Mary P. Traverse http://dinosaurnews.tumblr.com on May 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
Can someone explain to me why this serious is so beloved?

I really see not much difference between thise comic book action movies and other comic book action movies that are seen as shitty.

I am not saying my opinion is correct, but I just do not see what sets this series apart. Even pretty snooty film people I know will like, or at least tolerate, Iron Man movies. I know Constant will love a shitty movie if the effects are pretty, but what is the appeal for everyone else?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM · Report this
It was amazing, seriously. Better than the Avengers.
Posted by muffin on May 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
fletc3her 4
I loved the film. I think it was easily the strongest of the three Iron Man films so far. Tony Stark is so manic it was interesting to see him crash a bit. It also did a good job of placing the hero in danger, something difficult in any comic book movie. But it did it without having the villain be an existential threat.

If I had to criticize one thing in the series it is the intelligence of Jarvis. It already can prototype bleeding edge equipment, but now can also control several dozen Iron Man suits as autonomous weapons. Why didn't Tony just tell Jarvis to save those people falling from the plane?
Posted by fletc3her on May 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM · Report this
I'm going to agree with all of this, especially the kid in TN. He was just annoying enough and meshed so well with Tony's ego that I was kind of sad that his "chapter" was over.

It's also been a while since I've been so actively pleased to see the villains thwarted and killed. Then again, they'd been such bastards all throughout and each time Tony was beaten down felt more and more visceral that by the end of it... oh yeah, they had it coming.

And was I the only person just a little saddened when all the suits were destroyed at the end? A little?

I'm also going to say it: The Marvel ending (with the Marc Ruffalo cameo) was better than shawarma.
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on May 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 6
@2, I am a much bigger fan of the shitty action movie than Mr. Constant, but I avoid the Iron Mans. It's down to who still loves to watch Robert Downey, Jr. reprise the role of "Robert Downey, Jr." Most everyone in the world, apparently.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on May 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 7
@4, IIRC all the robot controlled suits were still stuck in the rubble of the mansion at that point. Jarvis couldn't launch all of them until it was cleared open.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Olo 8
When Pearce was tossing Cheadle around, I kept waiting for Cheadle to jump up and shout, "Bam! You're a tree, motherfucker!"
Posted by Olo on May 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 9
@4 Also, Tony was there at the moment. The suits were all back in Malibu. No time to get them there. Unless you are talking about Jarvis controlling the Mark 42 at that time.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on May 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
COMTE 10
@2:

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a kid, Iron Man was my favorite comic, even though it took him the better part of two decades to ascend from third-tier status up to the top ranks of the Marvel pantheon. A lot of the character's appeal (for me at least), was that he was the antithesis of the traditional comic book superhero: he wasn't an alien, or empowered by some incredulous chemical or radiation exposure; he's just a really smart guy with access to seemingly unlimited wealth and resources who makes himself into a superhero by virtue of talent, money and sheer force-of-will. In that sense, he's the closest thing Marvel has to a Batman analogue, but with his own unique set of physical and psychological limitations.
Posted by COMTE on May 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 11
@2 & 6,

I think it does come down to Robert Downey Jr.

Thor and Captain America kinda bored me. The actors were pretty to look at, but weren't particularly interesting. They were totally overshadowed by the CGI. Downey, on the other hand, is incredibly charismatic. I credit him entirely for giving life to this series, otherwise it would probably be as dull as the others. If you are not a Downey fan, then these movies probably hold nothing for you.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on May 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 12
@11, I think you're right. See, I liked Thor and Captain America. I wasn't made to pay much attention to the actors playing the characters, so the characters were free to engage my imagination a bit. Rich Juzwiak wrote well about his view of Downey.
He seems to chose roles that allow him to be his off-the-cuff self, or at least, the off-the-cuff self that he and his people want us to believe that he is. He is the anti-Tom Cruise: Cruise chooses empty roles that he then disappears into, while Downey leads with his persona and lets the role fall around him. Iron Man would be far less dynamic of a series without him. Tony Stark’s spoken refrain is Downey’s implicit one: He is Iron Man. But in the end, that’s nice and fun and good for him, but nothing much beyond that.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on May 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
digittante 13
The Manadarin was always a bullshit villain (to me). So glad Black saw it that way too, and it was a nice way to thread the Manadarin/Killian villainy into one story line.
Posted by digittante http://www.digittante.com on May 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM · Report this
The thing about the reveal was that it was just fucking lame. It's not that i'm mad at them not doing the Mandarin perfectly or anything of the like, it's just that, the Mandarin was built up as this sort of villain that was so different than all the villains we've seen in hero movies before. He was going to be this deeply political, pseudo-mystical, east-Asian international terrorist. He was seemingly the sort of bad guy that couldn't be pummeled into submission, the sort of bad guy that poses a genuine threat to the notion of the super hero in that he can't truly be beaten, because he's nothing more than the embodiment of a philosophy, an idea, and you can't punch an idea in the mouth and make it go away. Hell, by rising to fight him, you'd have only legitimized him. He'd have already won. Pair that with the pseudo-mystical bent, and he could have easily been the embodiment of everything that was causing Stark anxiety. He would have, quite literally, been Stark's fear distilled, a true force of nature controlling powers that are beyond the scope of Stark's knowledge, the sorts of powers that were causing him anxiety because they threw into question his metaphysic. Likewise, in that same vein, it looked like we were actually going to get a compelling commentary on the military industrial complex, that the true root of these problems is that there are men who profit off of the misery that such war creates, thus creating a demand for this sort of war. That these men are often in bed with the terrorist groups their nations are fighting while supplying arms to the nations that are fighting these groups. Instead, it all gets hand waved away for an, albeit funny, lame Wizard of Oz style "it's all smoke and mirrors" trick, now you get to watch Die Hard with an Iron Man skin, lol.

I'm not mad at the portrayal of the Mandarin, nor do I dislike the film. It is, in fact, probably my favorite Marvel studios film to date. Still, i'm disappointed, because the film we got was different than the film we were continually promised, and the film we were shown to be getting had a much deeper potential.
More...
Posted by Faithhandler on May 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
I'm sorry, but the movie kinda died for me with that bullshit about people other than Cheadle being able to control Iron Patriot. In every other case in the movie, the suits are matched to people and need a retinal scan. But everyone and their brother can use the Iron Patriot suit. And I thought the action scenes were kinda of a mess. Avengers really set the bar with how to coherently shoot a massive action sequence.

I did like the script/dialogue and the performances and I agree about the kid. I'm indifferent to the villains, tho I did like the scene where the whole purpose of the charade was to make the President call, just to show who was in control.
Posted by sisyphusgal on May 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 16
@15, A.I.M. was contracted to deal with the whole Iron Patriot make over-marketing campaign thingy. This is mentioned in the film. Its no surprise if they were able to sneak something into the programing to allow it. Or also since the US Air Force seems to have loaned posssesion of the WM/IP suit, they too could have removed the retinal scan/security settings.

What bugged me more about the Iron Patriot part of the story: he is on the mission to Pakistan, gets caught by Killian's people and thus out of communication with his superiors. Even for a short amount of time this would be been a concern. But then he just shows up to join Air Force One with no questions asked?
Posted by Akbar Fazil on May 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM · Report this
I don't know, I think the comment on the military-industrial complex was bad at all...much better than the first film, anyways. We're overly scared of Islamic extremism, but the people we find when we go over to Central Asia are mostly just ordinary people working in sweatshops, and our own military-industrial complex kills more of our own people than terrorism does, but that same military industrial complex keeps reminding us of the threat of Islamic extremism, so we don't do anything about it. Meanwhile, if you're a brilliant scientist, you end up getting sucked into that military industrial complex because pure science doesn't pay the bills, but weaponizing new technology does. Unless you're Iron Man, in which case you can do what you want.
Posted by redemma on May 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM · Report this
schmacky 18
@14...Dude, you just described The Joker.
Posted by schmacky on May 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
@18, no, I didn't. The Joker is a sociopath, not a philosophical intellectual. The Joker can be punched in the mouth and thrown in jail. That's, in fact, the entire point of his game. He gets off on doing the back and forth with Batman, about making Batsy the best Batsy he can be. It has nothing to do with principles or ideals, it's straight up just crazy super-villainy. He's a bad guy because he likes playing the bad guy, and he likes playing the bad guy because he's straight up crazy.

There are lots of comic villains that fit the bill I'm talking about. The Fury, Zod, recent incarnations of the Mandarin, Manchester Black, the recent incarnation of Ocean Master, Black Adam, etc. The Joker doesn't fit the bill.
Posted by Faithhandler on May 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM · Report this