Matt from Denver 1
The kids here aremuch more sensible than the school officials.

A lot of people on Slog say they don't want children, usually imagining things like lost sleep, the restrictions on doing what they want, or the fights and struggles. None of that fazes me in the least, but I worry about dealing with moronic parents and school officials and their trumped up moral panics. THAT is going to be truly hellish.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Kinison 2
They're shaking their asses like a stripper, on school grounds and posting it to Youtube, hope they enjoy the suspension.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on May 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Knat 3
Graduating from high school reflects on the school that graduated you, and implies that you presumably have enough sense to think like an adult and think things through. That the kids are being suspended for a week and denied access to prom for this jackassery is fair. The school could barred them from graduating too.
Posted by Knat on May 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Obviously what these students need is a good stoning and/or clitordectomies.

Teenage girls should not be doing anything sexual. Nor should they be dancing.

They should be punished accordingly.
Posted by GermanSausage on May 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM · Report this
raindrop 5
@1. Since when is calling out bad behavior in kids a moral panic?
Posted by raindrop on May 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this
@5, since the nuts started thinking this justifies suspension.
Posted by GermanSausage on May 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
I'm an old fart whose daughters are in their twenties and I fail to see what's so bad about this dance move. It's kinda tacky, but I've seen much lewder back in the 1970's. The kids aren't nekkid.
Posted by swing state voter on May 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 9
@ 5, in a world where bullying is still tolerated by school officials, especially conservative strongholds like SD, this doesn't rate as "bad behavior." And worrying about a high school senior's expression of sexuality DOES rate as miral panic.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 10
Moral, not miral.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Zebes 11
I watched the video muted at work. The incontinent camera work only made the actual twerking less appealing. I understand some people like twerking, I accept that, I've come to terms with it, but upside down wall handstand twerking? I don't know, that's a bit much.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on May 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Foggen 12
@9
Winner.
Posted by Foggen on May 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Oh, please.

Srsly? Suspended for this? From a public school?

Sure, if they were in some tight-assed parochial school, I could see that happening. But, public school? Really? Some school board members evidently have a problem.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on May 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
raindrop 14
@9: Bad behavior includes being inappropriate and tacky.
Posted by raindrop on May 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 15
@ 14, how so? Who is harmed?
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
@14:
Wrong again.

Obscene behavior is bad behavior, but just tacky isn't or there'd be a lot more suspensions around here given the clothing I've seen.
Posted by swing state voter on May 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
raindrop 17
I never commented on the suspension, that's debatable. But whether you define the behavior as bad, inappropriate, tacky, silly, or stupid - I say it deserves an admonishment in some form.
We've already had a generation of bratty "do-as-I-please" kids turn into a generation of bratty "do-as-I-please" adults - so those that have no problem with that there's absolutely nothing I can say to elevate your uncivil perspectives.
Posted by raindrop on May 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM · Report this
cracked 18
WTF? Might as well suspend the cheerleaders, wrestlers, and swimmers while they're at it.
Posted by cracked on May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM · Report this
cracked 19
I appreciated too how the report found some lily white student reps to denounce it, while everyone else was asking what the big deal was. Those people are future civil leaders!
Posted by cracked on May 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 20
On school GROUNDS!!! Oh, my stars!

[clutches pearls, swoons on couch]

At least now I know what this "twerking" is. From the context on TWIB podcasts, I was guessing it meant "vomiting." How embarrasking.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on May 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 21
I couldn't watch, my new AT&T super fast LTE service keeps timing out. I will say, I am confused by what people younger than me do. In fact, my disgust with those younger than appears to be increasing linearly with my age. Who would have guessed?
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on May 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 22
@17 How about a response that's proportionate to the "offense?" E.g., call them into the principal's office and say "Dudes, you're making us look like idiots. If you want to embarrass yourselves, do it at the mall."

@18 Good point. If you're holding a pair of pom-poms, shaking your ass while wearing next to nothing is "school spirit."
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on May 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM · Report this
The premise of the report that the kids in the video are innocent victims of the Evil Video Editor is hilarious.

"Little did they know the video this Evil Video Editor was shooting would show up on (*dun-dun-DUHNNNN*) YOUTUBE!"

Because apparently all of the willing participants in this video live in an alternate universe where it's 2001.
Posted by lopes on May 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this
@17, if there's one thing I can't stand in a civil society, it's adults who are free to do as they please.
Posted by GermanSausage on May 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this
And the hall monitors come out on the side of overreacting authoritarianism. Whoda thunk?

@24 and @9 nailed it. And @22's hypothetical response is what you would have seen at a school with sensible administrators.
Posted by LJM on May 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 26
@ 17, here's where you're tripping over yourself.

Since when is calling out bad behavior in kids a moral panic?

I never commented on the suspension...

This isn't an issue because some kids were behaving as kids have since kids have existed. (Whether we're now more permissive is one thing, but it's pure fiction to imply that brattiness is a new thing resulting from that, as you do.)

Now, I had asked you what the harm was. You have ignored that completely. Do you believe behavior is truly bad if it's harmless? If so, why? You have to be specific.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
raindrop 27
@22: Works for me.
@24: You know what I meant, you're just being snarky.
Posted by raindrop on May 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM · Report this
sirkowski 28
@17 Kids these days derp derp derp
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on May 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM · Report this
*yawn*

I know with the internet and whatnot it is different today. BTW so do the kids. Twerking as part of a project for a video class (yeah thats what this was its about 43 seconds into the posted vid report), yeah I can totally see why the kids did this. It is a creative project in a lot of ways, apparently not so well exicuted but it had potential.

Posting it on Youtube not such a good idea but the logical step these days. Tons of crap is posted and if adults would remember their adolesence's sense of humor this could have gone viral in a positive, funny and yes educational way.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on May 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM · Report this