Kinison 1
Stranger also uses abused children for similar political reasons, one in which I agree with, but would rather we not use children for political purposes each and every time it occurs.
Posted by Kinison on May 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM · Report this
coolio 3
Oooooh...Scratchmaster joe gets smacked down!
Posted by coolio on May 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM · Report this
fletc3her 4
If it had been a bunch of lawyers or banjo players it would have been one thing, but a bride and most of her bridal party, really tragic.
Posted by fletc3her on May 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 5
Keep talking sense Goldy. Sooner or later the people who need to hear it will hear it.
Posted by Gurldoggie on May 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
seatackled 6
@3 Smacked down or smacked up, this is surely scratchmaster joe's high point.
Posted by seatackled on May 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
"Yeah, I know, a comparable number of Americans die each year from automobiles as die from firearms. But those numbers have been moving in opposite directions, largely because of a concerted regulatory effort to make cars (and their operation) safer."

The number of murders committed w/ guns is a lot lower than it used to be. This is thanks, in large part, to a concerted effort to put criminals in jail.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on May 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
Does anyone else remember that winter in Seattle when it seemed like there was a multi-vehicle truck or camper fire every day?

If that was still happening, then the gun slaughter would not be as much of a deal.

But you don't see a lot of car fires nowadays.
Posted by Will in Seattle on May 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 9
i feel like i just said this, to scratchmaster joe, in that thread, immediately after his comment, but with more sarcasm. i want credit.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM · Report this
I respect Goldy's straightforward retort. My point, however, is that I expect journalism, not lobbyism, from my favorite paper, even on its slog...

Am I naive for thinking that every untimely death is equally tragic? No matter what the cause?

Since you bring up car vs. gun deaths:

Gun deaths have been on the downturn since three years prior to the assault weapons ban under Clinton, and has continued since the ban expired in 2004, with the exception of one year. In 1994, the CDC predicted that automobile related deaths would be surpassed by gun deaths by 2003, but that never happened, even though the assault weapons ban expired and gun sales have risen sharply over the last 5 years. The prediction that gun deaths will exceed vehicle deaths by 2015 is only that, a prediction.

Ultimately, I appreciate reporting on issues without cherry picking the info that supports your argument. It comes off as dishonest and manipulative, and I know that is not your intent. It is clear from your writing that your heart is always in the right place.

It was good of you to address my concerns. Thank you.
Posted by scratchmaster joe on May 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 11
Speaking of seat belt father remembered when they weren't mandatory. I don't think Michigan got their primary offense law until the 80s, or something later. He used to say it was a solid example of the slippery slope being correct. They introduced the laws as being a secondary offense, to be enforced only if it was caught during another offense. And, it used to be considered "slippery slope" to say it would become a primary offense. Then, it became a primary offense.

I'm not saying I'm against seat belt laws, but the slippery slope does exist.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on May 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM · Report this
Lew Siffer 12
Same with cellphones, secondary to primary.
Posted by Lew Siffer on May 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM · Report this
@10 - If you expect "journalism, not lobbyism" you're reading the wrong paper. The Stranger is and always has been a paper with an agenda, and they are honest and upfront about that fact. You don't have to agree with or like their agenda, but telling them that they shouldn't even have it is just obtuse.

Of course every untimely death is equally tragic, but if politicizing a tragedy could make similar tragedies less likely in future (ie guns), then it's worth politicizing. If not, there's no point and all there is to do is mourn how sad it is (ie limo fire). That was the whole point of Goldy's post.

Violent crime has been falling nationwide since the early 90s, but homicide and gun violence are still much higher in America than in other advanced countries - more than three times as high, in fact - and widespread availability of firearms has a lot to do with that. Yes, we've gained ground, but we are still hugely underperforming and more work needs to be done.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on May 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM · Report this

Fair enough, I understand that about the paper, but I don't agree with it, and as a consumer, I believe it is my job to hold the content creators accountable.

Some truly excellent journalism comes out of The Stranger, and I'd like to see more of that and less of the lobbying. That's why I read this paper and slog, because it covers important issues, and they employ great writers. It is a great paper, otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

My hope is that we will occasionally make each other think a little harder. The Stranger has done that for me. Even if that means pissing everyone off, it seems a worthy cause to try and return the favor.

Posted by scratchmaster joe on May 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 15
Politics is not a game. It's not a fake children's cartoon. It's about real life. Politics is big decisions about things that change lives. Politics saves lives and politics kills.

When you "politicize" something, you're treating it with due gravitas. When you tell me "don't politicize this", you're telling me to turn my head away from the carnage in our nation, and go back to eating chips and staring at the actors on the glowing screen.

We need to politicize everything we care about.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn on May 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM · Report this
I'm not buying Goldy's retort.

Call it a strawman if you will, although there is no epidemic of limo deaths in this country, there is an epidemic of children drowning.

Drowning is the number one cause of death in children 4 years and under, yet there is no hue and cry to ban bathtubs.

Why? Because as I've said before, this isn't about saving lives. It's about banning guns.

Why? Because you don't like them.
Posted by CPN on May 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM · Report this
venomlash 17
@16: I have never owned or handled a firearm in my life; the closest I've ever come is seeing my uncle (a police officer) carrying one. I'm doing just fine. Try going twenty-one years without a bath and see how that works.
Comparing bathtubs to guns is a false equivalency.
Posted by venomlash on May 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM · Report this
It is not. Teach your kids to take a shower and don't own a pool and they probably won't drown.
Posted by CPN on May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM · Report this