I saw this story and thought "this has Mudede written all over it"
Posted by eptified on June 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
@1

I heard that the first person Boztepe called was Mudede.
Posted by dnt trust me on June 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM · Report this
"My wife is in too much pain." Psychological pain, or physical pain that they couldn't afford the treatments for?

Frequently my first thought when someone commits suicide is to wonder about medical problems.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on June 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM · Report this
ciennasmommy 4
I bet their last words sounded hilarious. Sadly.
Posted by ciennasmommy http://zeke.typepad.com on June 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM · Report this
I read this yesterday. That is a very, very, weird story. Unless there is whole bunch of private information we just don't know about an illness or something I'd be pretty suspicious about this if I was a family member.
Posted by tkc on June 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 6
@ 5, why? Couples do commit suicide together, usually when facing financial ruin, they're middle aged, and have no children (and sometimes other close relatives).

It needs to be investigated thoroughly, but this isn't how the typical murder/suicide plays out.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM · Report this
@6 Well, I don't what the ME has found or what the evidence at the scene is that ruled it not a crime scene, but I do know unless there is pressure from family members apparent suicides are not really much investigated at all. Particular in a city like New York where the case load is very high. I wish I didn't know this. But I do from experience. Of course this is all absurd internet speculation. Two people are just as dead so it may not matter much to anybody either way.
Posted by tkc on June 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 8
@7,

And if it is a murder-suicide, the responsible party is dead. So, what difference does it make in a law-and-order sense?
Posted by keshmeshi on June 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM · Report this
Jaymz 9
Certainly there is more detail in the notes that would sort this whole thing out, but I understand the quest for privacy. Still, absent speculation and detail, it makes a huge difference to me when the couple sitting together holding hands on the couch are 50 years old or are 85 years old. To me, and from personal experience from my teenage years, suicide is a bad thing "almost always"...
Posted by Jaymz on June 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 10

So now are they Death Coaches too?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 11
Why did they have a canister of helium handy? Were they possibly addicted to huffing it?
Posted by Gern Blanston on June 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
People should have ample access to medical and mental health care to address their problems, and society should have safety nets so that financial troubles don't lead to suicide.

But, if a couple doesn't have minor children and they honestly want to die together, I may try to dissuade them but in the end it is their choice
Posted by wxPDX on June 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
I like to believe that they found happiness and decided that this was the logical next step. I am curious about what the note said.
Posted by PoorYorick on June 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
"The pursuit of happiness" may not have been a creative name for their show, but certainly a revealing one. Pursuit is by definition not attainment.
Posted by boyd main on June 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM · Report this
balderdash 15
Nothing good ever, ever accompanies the phrase "common-law wife." I don't know why that is, but it's true.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on June 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 16
@11 Helium does not get you high in any way. Technical divers (SCUBA divers who go deeper than you can safely dive on regular air) breath high concentrations of helium to AVOID nitrogen narcosis and oxygen toxicity.

Therefore...clowns gone frown. It's the only possible explanation.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on June 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
sirkowski 17
Two con-artists dead.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on June 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM · Report this