Gern Blanston 1
I like how your dog is photo bombing you in the upper left hand corner.
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM · Report this
When I grew Stupice several years ago, I had tomatoes on the first of July.
Posted by Bhamjason on July 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Goldy 3
@1 She was hoping I was picking peas. She loves peas.

@2 Aren't Stupice great? They're not the best tomato I grow, but they are early, long lived, reliable, and prolific.
Posted by Goldy on July 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
One Early Girl about the size of a racketball is going into salad tonight or tomorrow. Amazing growing year.
Posted by HeySparky on July 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
@4 I have Early Girl but nothing to harvest yet. They sure are growing like crazy! And they have a lot of blooms.
As for the taste of market tomatoes, I have found if I put them in a well lighted place (but not direct sun) for a few days, they taste much better. But nothing ever compares with homegrown.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on July 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM · Report this
tdalec 6
I had my first Early Girl a week ago and a bunch of Sungolds since. More Early Girls ready in a couple of days.
Posted by tdalec on July 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 7
Global warming is just awful. Seattle having any tomatoes at any time is a sign of the end. Frankly I think this is all an abomination and to gloat over and ask if we are jealous is simple unacceptable. Next you will suggest that an eggplant and a red pepper are something to be proud of. They are only ripening here because of global warming. Shocking just shocking. My tomatoes are doing fantastically too! I can hardly wait for my eggplants to turn purple.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on July 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
My corn is knee high this Fourth of July and my tomatoes plants are monsters. The humidity is gone and the surface moisture burned off a few days ago. So it's now a fight with evaporation. Water, water and then water some more to keep everything in wet soil during this final growth stage.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on July 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 9

My garden is Carpinito Brothers farmers market in Kent.

The Yakima beefsteaks are there and they're fantastic.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Sandiai 10
Looks fulla lycopene. The answer is YES, I'm jealous.

My tomatoes are green marbles. I'm eating rainbow chard with every meal though.
Posted by Sandiai on July 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Tomatoes doing reasonably well. Stupices have flowers on 'em and Juliets, Alaskan Fancies are exploding with growth. Fancy varieties, enh. Freedom from supermarket lettuce is a nice plus, though. Should be a good 4 months.
Posted by Joel_are on July 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 12

For Northwest tomatoes Stupice is king, I give due credit to the Czechs for that one. Thankfully Milan Sodomka (RIP) was able to smuggle those seeds out from behind Communisms Iron Curtain.

My zucchini also bloomed today, strangely enough the flowers are all male. The heat has my cucumbers and winter squash are taking off, they have grown feet in just a few days. Odd though because the plant with the best placement is growing the least, so it goes.

@7
You have got me wishing I put in eggplant, in the past I have had good luck with "millionaire" they really would have taken off this year.

@2
Yea I have had that plant produce from late June to late October, pretty amazing
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Bolting Beets. We had an onslaught of them, and just by coincidence they also happen to be my favorite band.
Posted by BhamBrad http://bradreynoldspianotuning.com on July 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
My Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes are blossoming on the deck; the plants are robust! But more importantly, the 35 feet of raspberry canes along the west side of my house are in full production mode! I'm picking two quarts of raspberries each day!
Posted by Sarah in Olympia on July 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
I have a recipe here for tomato popsicles I'd like to try, if you could bring those over my way.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 16
This tomato shit is starting to remind me of when microbrews first hit the scene, and everyone kept telling me they didn't taste like dog shit. Because microbrews!

I kept saying, no, I'm pretty sure that beer you just gave me tasted like dog shit. And they said, no, no, no, because microbrews! They seemed to believe it so hard that nothing could change their perception. Belief is so much more powerful than your senses.

In the end we had to agree to disagree. I stuck with my beer made by enormous corporations in Germany and Belgium and even France, and they continued to believe their microbrew crated by three lazy hipsters in Portland tasted like something other than canine fecal matter.

Some people can grow tomatoes that taste better than store bought. Most can't. Just like beer.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on July 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 17
@ 16

Oh wow look, you are talking out your ass with no knowledge of subject matter again, but no surprise there.

Enjoy your picked while green and forced to turn red by spraying with Ethylene gas tomatoes, but then again you do like shitty corporate euro beer, I bet it makes you feel cosmopolitan.

Even a rank amateur can grow better tasting tomatoes that the grocery store. It seems you like to look down on anyone who has any initiative, skill or DIY spirit. But your posting history does point to the fact that you would rather have your ass wiped by your political/corporate masters rather than take any personal responsibility
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 18
@17: Amen.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on July 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf 19
@17, that's funny, I just bought a lovely purple heirloom tomato at a supermarket, and it's lovely. I just ate half of it, and the other half's going on a burger in a while. I don't know the variety -- the biggest drawback of the pile of "heirlooms" in the store -- but it's a good one. A bit overripe, which is how I like 'em, dripping. It would go bad if I left it til tomorrow.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 20
Oh wow Fnarf you were able to purchase a heirloom tomato at a market on lily white Phinny Ridge during the height of tomato season. I bet that makes you totally knowledgeable about industrial agriculture system that provides the tomatoes for the rest of the peasants.

But last time I checked this was the gardening thread and not the "What fnarf had to eat thread." So talk about gardening, or kindly fuck off.

Honestly you are getting almost as bad as Will in Seattle.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Mrs. Fnarf 21
I am growing 6 varieties this year (Orange Blossom, Bush Champion, Yellow Tumbling Tom, Italian Gold Roma, Black Sea Man, and Indigo Rose), all determinate save one, so most likely we'll be eating a ton of tomatoes in late August. Sungolds are the most popular at the nursery where I work, but smart people are catching on to the Stupice. For the records, all of my zucchini flowers appear to be male except for one so far.
Posted by Mrs. Fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 22
#16

When I can find a good larger or pilsner I will order that. On tap is best. I've had a Urquell on tap at a place on South Lake Union that was so good I still remember it.

Around my neighborhood there's a big Polish and Russian contingent and lots of the European stores and supermarkets have the real stuff from Eastern Europe.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 23
At this point all my tomatoes have set fruit except for my heirloom Anna Russian, which is struggling to grow even though my other five plants are the size of a Honda Civic.

(Well, the Tumbling Tom is more like a Smartcar.)
Posted by Dr. Z on July 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Fnarf 24
@20, I may not be the world's greatest expert on tomatoes but I have read "Tomatoland" by Barry Estabrook, and I've donated money to the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, a tomato picker's union in Florida which fights for worker's rights, including thousands of victims of modern-day slavery even today. Which puts me about a million miles of a worthless cunt like you, who is not welcome here or anywhere on Slog but continues to shit all over everything every chance you get. So go fuck yourself.

The tomato came from Ballard, not Phinney, by the way.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM · Report this
My tomatoes are all in bloom (3 varieties), my peas have been supa producers this year, kohlrabi are coming along quite nicely. My full-sized pepper is starting to darken and others are pea sized (I'm giving them some nice verbal encouragement). Chard is bolting, onions are ready to harvest and carrots are coming along nicely. Beets are taking their time. They'll be great this fall. I need to decide about what to put in the ground this weekend when I pull the peas and chard.
Posted by Dod on July 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 26
@16,
At least microbrews and homebrews are interesting and memorable though, even the bad ones.

I've had fantastic microbrews and terrible microbrews. Their character is what makes them fun.

All the big name, big corporate beers? The best way I can think of to describe them is "forgettable."
Posted by Urgutha Forka on July 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM · Report this
Fnarf 27
Oh, and here, the Immolokee Workers: http://www.ciw-online.org/ . Be sure to read about their anti-slavery campaign.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM · Report this
carriemcc 28
I'm totally jealous! My plants don't have ANY fruit yet. Most of them have flowers though, so there should be fruit soon.
Posted by carriemcc on July 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 29
@21
Nice, Indigo Rose and Yellow Tumbling Tom look amazing and Black Sea Man gave me a chuckle. I will definitely be trying the latter 2 next year. Due to a late move I had to go with a limited variety of starts rather than seed, I have sungold, early girl, sweet 100, sweet million and black krim, which all feels rather pedestrian next to your awesome collection.

@25
I love kohlrabi but for some reason have never had luck with it, also I am a bit disappointed in not getting peas in this year due to the move.

@24
Fnarf, I know of Immokalee, in fact I back when I was with Food not Bombs cooked food for their protest bus and was on the lines with them during the Taco Bell Campaign of the early 2000s. Yes they are being exploited, I know first-hand having worked with and met their members. So that is another reason to grow your own.

As for being a "worthless cunt" besides having in the past directly helped your treasured tomato workers. I spend close to 50 hours a week working in an ER, as well as being on a hospital safety committee working to reduce harm to our patients and staff, I am also on the hospital emergency management committee. Fact is that I do much more for my community than your internet bitching, name calling, and calls for harm against those who you disagree with ever will.

If you want to see a "worthless cunt" you better take a long hard look in the mirror. This was a civil thread about gardening before you and your bottom bitch ph'ngli showed up to shit all over it.

So again, I REPEAT, talk about gardening or get the fuck out.

Maybe it is time for another of your cry baby rage quit sessions. This blog is far more civil without you.

I do sincerly miss going to the Ballard Market, it is one of the best grocery stores in town.
More...
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 30
Because it got hidden with the mroe button:
@24/27

So again, I REPEAT, talk about gardening or get the fuck out
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM · Report this
I'm Comin' for ya Mama! 31
Good ol' reliable SLOG!
Posted by I'm Comin' for ya Mama! http://www.packers.com on July 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Fnarf 32
@30, I don't need to get the fuck out. I am welcome here. You are not. You never have been. Besides, how can you possibly have time for gardening when you spend all your time clutching your guns and stalking around the neighborhood with them tucked into your trousers, muttering "come at me, bro" at random black people?

The Immokalee folks aren't just "being exploited", they are being enslaved. If you buy a boring-type supermarket tomato anywhere in the Eastern US outside of the local growing season, there is an excellent chance it was grown and picked by slaves. Honest-to-god slaves, unpaid, locked in trailers, unable to leave. West coast tomatoes are generally produced under better conditions, probably with exploited pickers -- all farm workers are -- but not enslaved.

It's fascinating to hear that you worked with Food Not Bombs. When did you become a right-wing shithead kook? Some kind of mental break? Drug overdose? Moral vacuity cave in?

The person who de-civilized this thread is you, when you decided to shit on Ph'nglui. Look at it above. He's a better person than you, no matter how many hours you spend frightening your coworkers in the ER. They do know about your gun fetish, yeah?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 33
@30 "So again, I REPEAT, talk about gardening or get the fuck out"

Can anyone recommend a good hockey summer camp? My friend's daughter has been obsessed about players' salaries and arena costs. I tell her, "Don't listen very much to those assholes talking that stuff. They are FAKE hockey fans, and only ACT like they are concerned about the city's interests." I think playing hockey might be good for her. Any ideas, Baconator?
Posted by dnt trust me on July 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 34
@17

OK. I will. What's it to you?

Funny thing about freedom is it mean you can't force other people to eat your tomatoes. That's why I was able to agree to disagree with my microbrew drinking friends. It's sad you can't do that. Sad indeed.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on July 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM · Report this
seatackled 35
@1

Thanks for teaching me the term "photo bomb."
Posted by seatackled on July 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 36
@33
Yea my manager bought an AR from me. A fair amount of Emergency Services staff own or carry. It comes from living in a world where you see beyond the veil of civilization.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I do not patrol my neighborhood for "black people." Do they even have those in Phinny? Besides my Food Not Bombs work I also started a chapter of Anti Racist Action not that it matters. Though I am currently working to get a Community Emergency Response Team together for my hood as well and promoting backyard gardening.

As for right wing. I have voted for one republican, Rob McKenna, in two elections. Generally I feel that both parties are out to fuck us, meanwhile turning people against each other over petty social issues.

Actually I am surprised that you gave money to a cause that gives a fuck about humanity, even if it is people far away that pick your food. I didn't really think you did anything besides disparage, insult and threaten others to feel morally superior. And to be fair, a feeling of Moral Superiority is the only reason you brought up Immokalee in the first place.

I spend a lot of time working for the good of this community, what do you do for it?

As for being welcome here, I have a feeling that they keep you and Will around for the same reasons.

Now get it into your assburger brain that this thread is for gardening or shut the fuck up.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 37
Now I'm just wanting to write a lot of nonsense in the hopes that Baconator responds. Can't you just feel the passion. Bring it on!
Goldie! Don't be nerd, jump in!
Posted by dnt trust me on July 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 38
@37
I support the idea of having her play hockey, everyone loves a girl who is missing a tooth.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 39
@38

I don't know about that, the lords of Slog rule the opinion pool here. We'll have to wait and see how they weigh in on fucktoothed barbie
Posted by dnt trust me on July 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM · Report this
Just ate my first sungold today - yum. Gotta pull my peas and put in some nitrogen-loving lettuce In its bed I think. Any suggestions on good non-bolting in hot weather varieties?

And people - no one gets to speak for SLOG on "who is welcome here" or "who needs to get the fuck out". We are an anarchic intentional online community - get over yerselves.
Posted by DawginExile on July 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM · Report this
Fnarf 41
@36, oh man, You got me. I got nothin' here. You've served on a COMMITTEE. My god, I'm not worthy.

My contributions to Slog number in the thousands. Many of them are valuable; the worst of them is better than the best of yours. You've never contributed anything but deranged turdbombs. But hey, get right on that committee work. Take good notes. Maybe you can take the lead in deciding whether the table should be on the left or the right. Compare barrel lengths with your boss; maybe if you measure up you'll get a promotion to Commode Cleaner II.

In the real world, virtually all public health doctors and ER physicians find people like you terrifying and wrong. People who actually know what they're talking about, like Dr. Beth Ebel and Dr. David Fischer. You, on the other hand, are a psychotic who brags about waving a pistol around while drunk on the streets of Seattle.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 42
Wow. A post about a tomato, and all hell breaks loose. Only on the internet.
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM · Report this
I have a feeling that Cascadian Bacon and Fnarf have a lot in common and would love to sit back and have a beer together. Their punching each other is their way of reaching out, like a couple of feuding brothers.
Posted by floater on July 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 44
team fnarf
Posted by mr. herriman on July 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM · Report this
@44, really? I know he used to be, like, an elder statesman of SLOG (if you can say that with a straight face) but now he's pretty much indistinguishable from your garden-variety poop-throwing troll. What the hell happened to you, Fnarf?
Posted by Satisfied, my ass on July 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM · Report this
seatackled 46
Just don't be telling how Argo ends on this thread.
Posted by seatackled on July 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM · Report this
mr. herriman 47
@45 fnarf's gotten under my skin plenty of times - anyone who comments as much as he does is bound to piss some people off at points along the way. i certainly don't get behind everything he says, and i know how aggressive he can be in comments at times, but we get along quite well at SLOG happy and on facebook and such. for me it's because CB is one of the most consistently irritating, arrogant, idiotic people SLOG has ever had to endure, and i would support anyone's efforts to shut him up.
Posted by mr. herriman on July 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 48
God I SO SO want to be a worthless cunt, but NO. I ask $500 and hour and that's what I always seem to get, except when they tip me an extra $100. DAM it to HELL I want to be a worthless cunt one day!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on July 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM · Report this
Shit like this makes me love Slog so damn much. Slog on, motherfuckers. Slog on.

In other news, I don't have any ripe tomatoes yet, but I picked my first summer squash today. I didn't even consider whether or not those bastards could be male or female, but fuck me, of course you're right. My basil continues to thrive, my fig tree has risen from the dead in a shocking turn of events, and tomorrow I'm ripping up the smaller of my two generously sized parking strips in favor of xeriscaping. We live in thrilling times.
Posted by katallred on July 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM · Report this
mkyorai 50
@49 Thank you for teaching me the word "xeriscaping". I now know more about gardening (or, I guess, landscaping) than I did before.
Posted by mkyorai on July 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM · Report this
lolorhone 51
Shit, who knew home gardening was such an explosive topic of conversation?
Posted by lolorhone on July 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM · Report this
Fnarf 52
@47, thank you, dear.

Just go back up through this thread and see who it was who first injected the poison. It was not me, it was Cascadian Bacon @17, attacking Ph'nglui for no particular reason besides the fact that poison is the only thing CB ever has to offer.

In that post he made a factual error, which I pointed out in a fairly relaxed and light-hearted manner @19. Which comment was perfectly on-topic, as it was about tomatoes, and was in direct response to another comment here.

Then came CB freaking out again, unleashing his inner fascist and telling me (among other things) to get out. What a ridiculous little person. Please don't be fooled.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM · Report this
Goldy 53
Wow. Look at all the anger in this thread. Good thing I didn't mention anything about the ripe cucumber.
Posted by Goldy on July 5, 2013 at 8:08 AM · Report this
Fnarf 54
@53: put two of them in a blender with 1/3 cup lime juice, 1/3 cup simple syrup, and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Pour into popsicle molds. Add a little roughly-chopped cucumber to each one. Freeze. Thank me later.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM · Report this
Sunshine comes at a premium in my yard, but I've got a fair bit of kale, arugula, and a smattering of herbs (and the cat is silly on catnip). The peas didn't do as well as I'd hoped this year, but the beans look promising.
Posted by Card Zero on July 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 56
I noticed my first female spaghetti squash flowers starting to form today, and my tiger lily bloomed.

@53
Did you seriously get cucumbers, cause that is fucken rad, mine are just starting to bud.

@50
My family has a small nursery in Norcal that specializes in xeriscaping, they mainly grow sedums, semperviviens and echeveria as well as plants native to their region. Luckily for us in the Puget Sound Region we live in one of the most xeriscape friendly places in the world.

@41
ROFLMO

Wow yea I wish I could have made such a great social contribution of being a blog commenter on a weekly liberal rag. So much more important that workign on a comitte that has lead to a significant reduction in catheter-related blood stream infection. FNARF saved the world by being SLOG commenter is going to go down in the history books, it might even be on your tombstone.

You are a sad, bitter old man fnarf, maybe it is time to hang it up.

BTW as for being a "fascist", usually it is you who is the most hateful, violent, uncompromising person this site, you never misses a chance to attempt force his will on others.

I use to think you were a pretty smart guy, but the sum of your accomplishments seems to be your commenting on the slog and your records. Maybe you should use your time for something constructive like writing a book, or go donate blood so you can do something for victims of gun violence other than call gun owners names and make empty threats. I donated last week.

You really seems have nothing going on, outside of unwarented self importance and I really do feel sorry for you.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Should I buy a small (4") pot of basil and hope that it grows bigger in time, or spring for a gallon container? I'm hoping to have Greek salad before too long!
Posted by Sarah in Olympia on July 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM · Report this
Uh, oddly enough my garden grows fine here in MUCH hotter DC. My parsley is fine, and while yesterday's heat left my basil looking a smidge wilted, a nice watering perked it right back up. I even still have lettuce (in the shade and well-watered) that has not bolted.

Plus, my neighbor convinced his wife NOT to yank the peach tree that was split by the Derecho last summer, and I therefore should have more peaches than I know what to do with within the week. There's, like, a hundred peaches on the flourishing part of the tree that remained standing. :)
Posted by Ms. D on July 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
@57, basil grows like crazy in hot weather. Take that as you will regarding forecasts. I only grow a small pot, use it liberally in everything, and once or twice a summer take a whole bag in for coworkers because I can't possibly eat it all.
Posted by Ms. D on July 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 60
@57
I recomend the Trader Joes 1 gallon containers, at $2.99 they are a steal and you have basil right then without having to wait. Just plant them in the garden and they will do fine.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on July 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
NaFun 61
Please to be sharing - when do you plant your tomatoes? I clearly started way too late and while my starts are getting big fast, I probably won't have much good fruit before summer's over.

But OMG my strawberry patches, which were pretty neglected this year, have kept producing FAR longer than usual. I'm still picking berries from beds that normally would have stopped producing a month ago. And the radishes, lettuces and chards have done awesome, too.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on July 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM · Report this