Charles, I think this might be a more interesting point if you weren't conflating rural areas and the suburbs.

Perhaps you could try again?
Posted by I've Only Been Hit By Cars While Walking In The City on July 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM · Report this
pg13 2
And on the top of the Wikipedia page for "Confirmation Bias" it says "(see also, Mudede, Charles)".

(OK, actually it doesn't. But I think it should. HIT IT, ALANIS!)
Posted by pg13 on July 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Puty 3
Just this weekend, six teenagers were killed in a car accident in a rural area of the Canadian province I live in. Highways kill.
Posted by Puty on July 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
Actually it is injury and gun deaths for old people and little kids that makes rural areas unsafe.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM · Report this
fletc3her 5
I love you Charles, but it's so over the top. I live in a somewhat rural area near Seattle and yes, we actually do have some nice restaurants and cafes. Of course I go to Seattle for the nightlife. But on weekends the road in front of my house is filled with cyclists from Seattle who apparently find it worth a short commute to come enjoy the traffic free scenery that this area offers. This stark dichotomy between city and everywhere else does not exist.
Posted by fletc3her on July 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 6
@5 There might be a good restaurant or two, but from a business perspective lower density areas have mostly bland, common-denominator food. Pizza places, Mexican, "Chinese", etc. The type of places that serve food that children will eat. If you have a population of 5,000 people, and you serve a type of food that only 1% would want to go to on any given week, that's 7 customers per day and little chance of staying in business. So you go for the food with the widest appeal and least chance of being interesting or different (because kids don't eat interesting or different).

In contrast, if 500,000 people are in your service area, you can have crazy interesting food and still get enough people in the door to make a good profit.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on July 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 7
So if it has wide local appeal it can't, therefore, be good?
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on July 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM · Report this
WFM 8
99.9% of that expertly-prepared food is grown in rural areas by those rural idiots.
Posted by WFM on July 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM · Report this
That's nice. I love cities too, and I hope never to have to live in a place where I don't have neighbors within earshot. But cities are increasingly a playground of the rich where the youngs and the poors can't get a toehold. It'll stay that way as long as the suburbs (which in Seattle start well within the city limits) keep a chokehold on their cities, not letting them expand to meet the growing demand.
Posted by Prettybetsy on July 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 10

Zoo animals in cages rarely get hit by cars, too.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Charles is right. Rural America is now basically the dumping ground for corporate toxin.

Take for instance the mountain sized (they convert actual mountains into virtual mountains) toxic radioactive Monsanto slag piles. Another price for herbicides.

Video:
Posted by tkc on July 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this
NopeNope 12
Interesting picture. Think the people fishing those waters should actually eat the fish they catch?

Allow me to list what rural areas have that cities don't:

-Clean(er) air/water
-Healthier and more abundant flora/fauna
-Space

Cities are fine, I guess. I live in one. But once I'm done playing music (or at least, when I'm done with it as my primary focus) I'm heading for the hills. Cities may have fine dining, but rural areas have amazing cooks in almost every home. In the cities we hear cars. In rural areas you hear birds. The color of the city is grey. Rural areas come in all colors.

I guess it just boils down to how much you like people.
Posted by NopeNope on July 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
McJulie 13
I find this really plausible. I spent my teenage years in rural/suburban Kent, and in order to walk anywhere -- visit a friend, go to a convenience store -- I had to spend at least some of that time walking along a road with no sidewalk, blind curves, rapid traffic, and drivers who didn't expect to encounter pedestrians.

In general, everybody is way more afraid of crime than they ought to be, and way less afraid of cars.

The problem in the more rural suburbs isn't that there's no beauty or good food or whatever -- it's that in order to find the good stuff you have to get in a car and drive ten miles.
Posted by McJulie on July 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
you should advocate for the immediate public reclamation of all of the best real estate in seattle. specifically the public right of ways: all beaches/shorelines and viewpoints. outlaw all commercial fishing in pugetsound/straights, especially tribal. Encourage all extra-dependent/low functioning citizens to join resident nature cults.
Posted by carsten coolage on July 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 15
What you see is that rural pleasures can be had in the city; but urban pleasures (expertly prepared foods, good shows, excellent cafes) are nowhere to be found in the rural areas.

ROFLMAO...
Posted by Matt from Denver on July 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
venomlash 16
Fatality rates for car accidents are likely to be lower in cities because speed limits tend to be lower and hospitals tend to be nearer.
Posted by venomlash on July 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 17
Hey, come on, it's not like cars are after our city councils ... blame the driver, not the car ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
It's true. There are no good restaurantsoutside major cities.
Posted by mbo on July 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Given that Mudede cannot read, I wouldn't have expected him to know that the reason for the statistical anomaly is that traffic accidents on main roads, most of which involve urban residents on the way to or from cities, are ascribed to "rurality" according to the study's methodology.

But, as I say, Mudede is stupid, and the Stranger doesn't care.
Posted by Noicons on July 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 20
When I think rural, I think farmland far removed from big cities, and beyond walking distance to town - not some boutiquey acreage in Western Washington (not that there's anything wrong with that)

And it's true that people in those areas have worse healthcare and are more isolated. If they are doing conventional non-organic farming, they are exposed to carcinogens at a much higher level than people in the cities. Even if they are doing organic farming, they still have to contend with non-organic neighbors, polluted wells from industrial farming runoff, and the occassional nutcase. That's why I support gun rights for rural people - it can take the sheriff a lot longer to get to your place than it does to the cops to get anywhere in town. Just last year, some nasty types from Omaha drove some poor Latino guy out to our old family farm, tortured him, and threw him into the Platte River.

Real rural life is tough and lonely. I don't know why people do it, but some just love it.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on July 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Another idiotic comment from an ignorant city worker.

First off, police response times in the city can be quite long, including in Seattle. In my neighborhood, it recently took a half-hour for the police to respond to a burglary in progress. Good thing it didn't happen at my house, because the young thug might've wound up dead.

As for carcinogens, blah blah blah, the study in question examined the rates of death by injury, not other causes. Yes, of course you have higher rates of death by injury in rural areas when you include car crashes. Not only is there intercity traffic that's spread out over small local population numbers, but a certain number of those crashes wind up being encounters with deer and other critters.

On that score, in my quite frequent journeys outside of the Seattle bubble, I've often noticed that the locals will drive 35 or 40 miles an hour at dusk and at night in many areas. It's the oblivious outsiders who never even consider what Bambi might do to them if she flies through the windshield after being struck at 60 miles an hour.

As for the sick crimes, #20 ignores the many cases in cities, including the recent one that came out of Cleveland. No one has established that the distribution of true whackjobs varies by population density. If anything, I'd guess it's higher in cities, where it's a lot more possible to be genuinely anonymous than it is in most rural areas.
Posted by Noicons on July 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM · Report this
Something else: In rural areas, the ratio of heavy pickup trucks to light cars is much higher than it is in the cities. A heavy truck doesn't confer immunity, but, well, consider the recent case of the Seattle-area motorcyclist who bought the farm after hitting a deer in the early morning in Wheeler County, Oregon. If he'd been driving the sort of vehicle that most locals use down there, he'd be alive today to tell all his friends about the poor deer he bagged on Hwy. 19.

In the study, that fella's death would be counted as part of the alleged danger of living in a rural area, which is why people who think beyond the press releases don't necessarily trust the latest study.
Posted by Noicons on July 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM · Report this
Finally: No one who lives in Seattle, where none other than Ted Bundy once worked for the Crisis Line right here in the World Class, Walkable, Sustainable, Vibrant City, should be pointing any fingers at the twisted sisters of rural America.

By the way, if you actually care about serial killers rather than just wanting to score a talking point, you'd want to establish a way to keep tabs on long-haul truckers.
Posted by Noicons on July 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 24
Oh Noicons, I'm flattered! Three responses to my one? I didn't know you cared. But you must try not to be so literal, dear. There's more to the rural life than car wrecks. That's the point I was making.

In any event, If your knowledge of country living is anything like your knowledge of utilities, we'll just assume it's based on watching a few episodes of "Green Acres", and give it the respect it deserves.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on July 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM · Report this
dirac 25
Not a rural pleasure. You should make an effort to understand what they are, city slicker.
Posted by dirac on July 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM · Report this
Hey Catalina, last weekend I drove past one of your employer's hydro plants on the Skagit River. You know, the one that's been paid off for many decades. Not that it keeps your fat, lazy city bureaucracy from jacking up rates by 20%+ in the coming years. Born on third base and thought you hit a triple. Nice to inherit your arrogance and virtue, isn't it? Seattle City Light and George Bush: Two sides of the same coin.
Posted by Noicons on July 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 27
I'm so glad you had a chance to get out of town, Noicons dear. Isn't that a lovely drive? Did you stop at the general store in Newhalem and have some fudge? You should have taken a tour (don't worry - the tour guides aren't city employees)

But, as usual, you only got part of the picture. There are actually three dams there (Diablo, Gorge and Ross), all of which you can see from the highway.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on July 30, 2013 at 6:16 AM · Report this
@27, I was just driving by on Hwy 20, and there was only one with your utility's label visible from the road. So your company inherited three dams, then? Old money is always so ... obnoxious and entitled.
Posted by Noicons on July 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 29
No dear.... The company built the dams. They did not "inherit" them. It has been the same company since 1906.

Now if you want to say the current generation of employees "inherited" the dams, I suppose that's more accurate. But I know that's not a big priority for you.

Down the road in Concrete, PSE has two dams, but those dams have no class -real fish grinders. I suppose you could say, since PSE has been restructured several times since those dams were built, that PSE "inherited" them. We'd really need to ask a linguist.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on July 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM · Report this
@29, yes, and the Bush family made their own money by trading with the Nazis lo those many years ago. The Nazis are gone and the money remains, so it's all good. Seattle City Light and the Bush family: Born on third base and thought they hit a triple.
Posted by Noicons on July 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this