Well yeah its not the best quality but sometimes you want fast food that not burgers, it works.
Posted by Seattle14 on August 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 2
that area, where an asteroid struck the earth to begin the basalt floods, snake river plain, and yellowstone hot spots, is 99 miles from everything. it's the emptiest place in america.
Posted by Max Solomon on August 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM · Report this
malheur county, ladies and gentlemen
Posted by eptified on August 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
You can't always get a better vegetarian sandwich within five minutes' walk. Subway has a great veggie patty option, and when your other choices within walking distance are lettuce and cheese afterthoughts, that's definitely saying something.
Posted by Like Animals But Not In My Mouth on August 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM · Report this
It's 107 miles from the Subway in Salina, UT and the one in Green River and there ain't nothing in between those two towns.
Posted by gnossos on August 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
care bear 6
You'll have to move to Alaska, Paul.
Posted by care bear on August 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM · Report this
There aren't any subways in Ballard or West Seattle.

Oh, you meant the restaurant?
Posted by aleks on August 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
very bad homo 8
Never far enough. Subway is horrendous.
Posted by very bad homo on August 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
the south end of big bend national park to the one in ft. stockton.
100+ miles
Posted by dat ish on August 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Eastpike 10
I was in the "civic center" of downtown Seattle the other day at 3:45 on a Sunday, and by all accounts (the security guy at the muni tower, a construction guy working on a sidewalk) Subway was quite literally the only place to grab a sandwich within a few minute's walk. The closest that I knew of was closing at 4-- Delicatus-- but it is a 15 minute walk at least from where I stood.
Posted by Eastpike on August 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM · Report this
rob! 11
Yeah, that's about 40 miles from Steens Mountain, where that other teen obsessed with "Into the Wild" (this one from Oklahoma) disappeared earlier this year.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on August 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 12
They're ubiquitous, have tons of customers, yet every time I'm there someone in line acts like they've never been in a Subway before. No, they don't have corned beef & swiss on rye! This isn't a real sandwich shop - deal with it.
Posted by Sir Vic on August 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
And, in other there-goes-the-neighborhood news, a Subway just opened on Alki. Just what we need, franchise food on our only accessible, and up until now sort of funky, city beach.
Posted by onalki on August 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Dougsf 14
Instantly called bullshit, thinking I've NEVER seen a Subway in the small Wyoming towns I've spent time in, and wouldn't you know it... you sneaky bastards! TWO locations in Cody, even (they're inside Walmarts, but they're there).

Apparently though, the brand is faltering pretty badly. Shitty (sometimes illegal) franchise contracts, bad planning, highest franchise fees in the business... their reign of terror will soon be scaled back.
Posted by Dougsf on August 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Kinison 15
They're might be better places to get a sandwich, but you have to walk farther, pay more and wait longer for that sandwich.

Its like saying you can get a better screwdriver if you walk a few blocks further down the street, but mixing the vodka with OJ (or any other juice), then you really wont be able to taste the difference. So basically once you add all the condiments, you might not be able to taste the difference in sandwiches.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on August 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 16
There's no reason, when you live in a city, to eat a damned Subway sandwich. No excuses. There's always a better sandwich within five minutes' walk.

That is not a factually accurate statement. There's a Subway near where I live. The only other places that sell sandwiches (more or less) within a five minute walk are Safeway, Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, and an unnamed local joint that has worse food than all the above. Sometimes Subway is the least bad option.
Posted by keshmeshi on August 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Safeway sandwiches are alright though, right?
Posted by No Excuses on August 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Wait, seriously? 18
#16, it doesn't sound like you live in what we would consider "the city"
Posted by Wait, seriously? on August 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Knat 19
Subway stays open later than most decent sandwich shops. I know that's why so many of my coworkers get dinner from them so often. Also, because we don't work in the heart of the city and we're limited to whatever places are nearby, and there's almost always a Subway in a shopping center.
Posted by Knat on August 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
@10: Delicatus is a 5-minute downhill stumble from the Municipal Tower. 6 minutes, max.

@16: No matter what it says on your mail, the place you just described living is not a city.

Posted by d.p. on August 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
"the farthest away you can get from a Subway in the continental US"

That would probably be somewhere on the northern coast of Alaska, no? Or isn't Alaska part of this continent?
Posted by SuperSteve on August 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 22

Many supermarkets have excellent delis...like QFC.

They will make you sandwiches fresh from the high quality Boar's Head cold cuts and fresh veggies right there in the store.

And there are a lot of super markets.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on August 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM · Report this
theYode 23
@21: Excluding Alaska (and Hawaii) is fairly standard practice when referring to 'continental United States', even though the former is, indeed, physically attached.
Posted by theYode on August 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM · Report this
stirwise 24
@21, 23: I think many people say "continental" when they mean "contiguous."
Posted by stirwise on August 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
McGee 25
Nice to see all the Subway defenders are so content in their mediocrity.

@16 I don't know if your Safeway is anything like my Safeway but they make some pretty goddamn good sandwiches. Miles better than Subway.
Posted by McGee on August 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Report this
fletc3her 26
@24 No, they mean "continental" because they are familiar with current usage.

Contiguous is a poor term since even excluding islands there are portions of the continental United States that are not contiguous with the rest like Point Roberts.
Posted by fletc3her on August 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
fletc3her 27
There are also a lot of Safeway, Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonald's in Seattle, but I guess the U District, Ballard, West Seattle, and Rainier Valley aren't the "real" city. Bully for everyone who only eats at food trucks or wherever authentic city hipsters go.
Posted by fletc3her on August 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
SchmuckyTheCat 28
@26, I bet Point Roberts doesn't have a Subway.
Posted by SchmuckyTheCat on August 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 29
@28: It doesn't, but we let them go to the one in Tsawwassen. In exchange for access to cheap gas and wine.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on August 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM · Report this
@27: Urbanity is not necessarily defined by the absence of such establishments.

Urbanity is defined by the presence of a high enough concentration of demand that specialized services are able to survive and thrive. As such, lowest-common-denominator places will not be the only options around.
Posted by d.p. on August 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
rob! 31
Riposte-of-the-day goes to @29.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on August 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 32
@18,

I live in Ballard, two blocks from Market Street. What do you consider the city?

Hell. I lived in New York for several years, and there were a number of places I lived where there were no good places to get a sandwich within a five-minute walk, and I'm a fast walker.
Posted by keshmeshi on August 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Dougsf 33
@26 - That's exactly why I like the word contiguous, so those dicks in Northwest Angle can stop boasting about being furthest north. They probably don't even have a Subway.
Posted by Dougsf on August 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
@32: Regardless of what you think of Ballard Brothers, you most certainly have a báhn mì place (and possibly two) in your 5-minute radius. Add another minute or so, and you can at the very least add the counter at Sip & Ship. Oh, and El Camiòn has tortas.

Your options improve exponentially if you venture into any nearby commercial area with skinny legacy storefronts: Old Ballard, 65th & 8th, etc. In the meantime, I'm sorry you bought the rhetoric from advocates of dumb growth that the megablock-monolith developments springing up around 15th, with their Sprint stores and tanning salons, are "what urban density looks like".
Posted by d.p. on August 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Fnarf 35
@5, which means you are never more than 53.5 miles from one or the other on that road.

I'm surprised it's not Jordan, Montana, whence came the Thornton clan. It's the furthest from just about everything -- but there's a Subway in Miles City, which is only about 88 miles. I think you might be able to get further than 99 if you head up into the badlands near the Missouri River, though; there's another Subway in Glendive and in Wolf Point, but those are long, long roads.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Resident Clinton 36
I still say that their ad slogan should just be "Fuck It."
Posted by Resident Clinton on August 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM · Report this
#36 For the win!

A friend of mine calls Subway sandwiches 'food pellets' since the only thing they're good for is sustaining life.
Posted by CPN on August 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM · Report this
The only reason I'm ever tempted to go to places like Subway or other chains is that they have readily available nutrition information. I'm sure independent places often have better-for-you food but you can't count calories and you never know how much butter or mayo they may be sneaking in there.
Posted by chi_type on August 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
I travel a lot on business. Sometimes you just need something quick, predictably not horrible and not that likely to make you sick. Subway usually fits that bill. The local places, often do not.
Posted by WestSeven on August 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM · Report this
@35: right you are. Duh. I was thinking distance between Subways.

But I think @9 might be right about south end of Big Bend to Ft Stockton being further. Unless Subway's gotten a park concession since the last time I was there.
Posted by gnossos on August 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM · Report this
Cornichon 41
People who live close to a Subway store don't eat there. You'll never see your neighbors at the Subway closest to your house. Subway becomes an option only when you're away from home, when you don't know the neighborhood, when you're on unfamiliar ground and you want a meal that's, if nothing else, safe & predictable.

Subways exist for contractors, repairmen and delivery truck drivers, not for neighborhood moms out for a stroll. A typical Subway franchisee owns three or more stores, virtually adjacent to one another, carving out a mini-territory.
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on August 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM · Report this
blackhook 42
Just heard Subway's new slogan...

"Mediocre meats, on balloon bread, with masterful marketing!"
Posted by blackhook on August 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM · Report this
tainte 43
whenever i see someone pull out a subway sandwich i just think to myself, "really? you're in seattle and that's the best you can do?" oh well, people be lazy i guess. i feel the same when somebody drinks a pbr or rainier.
Posted by tainte on August 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM · Report this
I work in Pioneer Square. There are much better sandwiches, but Subway is cheap and healthy. I can't eat at Tat's everyday without dying of a heart attack.
Posted by amsellie on August 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM · Report this
When you drive a truck for a living, Subway is very often your only option for reasonably healthy food with a decent variety of fresh veggies (the salad bar inside TA and Petro truck stop diners being the other main one).

They are also open when everything else is closed. I spent last Christmas Eve parked in a truck stop in Knoxville. I tried walking over to nearby restaurants to treat myself to a decent meal, but everything else was closed, so it was a Subway sandwich again.

That Christmas day also sticks out in my memory because there was a very nice guy from a local church who spent his Christmas morning handing out little bags of stock stuffer type things to the drivers on the road. Very nice man...that's the kind of thing I try to keep in mind when I get angry about some pastor somewhere acting in a hateful way...people do mostly go into that line of work for the best of reasons.
Posted by Corydon on August 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
@ 41 When I was in school I had a subway at the bottom of my apartment building, I used to go there all the time cause it was super fast.
Posted by Seattle14 on August 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM · Report this