AirBuddy 1
Fuck that. Does Starbucks want us all in an over-regulated yet Hobbesian hellscape? Also, "Separated" is the most bizarre, cultish euphemism I have heard in awhile.
Posted by AirBuddy on August 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Fancy's_Pants 2
Job Separation is a common term used to cover all forms of job-leavers: layoffs, terminations, resignations, etc. It's not solely a Starbucks term.
Posted by Fancy's_Pants on August 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Lovely. I'll add this to their heroic efforts to dodge tax liabilities here in the UK to the reasons why I dislike them.
Posted by Paul_B on August 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Amalink 4
God I remember being that desperate myself back in the day when I was pregnant and huge, hungry, and trying to make it as a full time college student and a part time burger flipper. My heart goes out to Coulson.
Posted by Amalink on August 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 5
Well, that's a shitty deal. It's so lame that that kind of thing isn't permissible in extenuating circumstances. Blanket policies suck.
Posted by More, I Say! on August 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM · Report this
i cant stand hateful little worker bees with nothing better to do than report to human resources...they remind me of good obedient fascists trying to brown nose their superiors for a pat on the back...pathetic... oh, and by the way..f@ck starbucks..
Posted by rustystring3 on August 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
JensR 7
Awww... why does he stick out for his pissass weakling boss? The boss who fired him when she could have looked the other way and just told him to keep stealing as long as no one saw?

Since she didn't that means she is a coward with the moral backbone of a slug or WANTED to fire him.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on August 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Starfucks.
Posted by MoeLarryAndJesus on August 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM · Report this
CC-Rob 9
Welcome to the new Guilded Age. How much do you want to bet that debtor prisons will make a come back?
Posted by CC-Rob on August 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
evilvolus 10
Whoever came up with the idea to call counter-jockeys "store partners" should be punched in the dick.
Posted by evilvolus on August 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
JensR 11
Also that policy of sending home workers during the day if its slow... wth? Its like you guys live in the 19th century and at some point I expect indentured servants to pop up again.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on August 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 12
All US taxpayers are already subsidizing huge companies that pay shit wages, like Wal-Mart, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc., since their employees require government aid programs just to survive. This inhumane state of affairs is beyond appalling.

This issue is deeply personal for me, since I worked three part-time jobs in college to make rent, and I shudder when I think about all of the movie theater popcorn--which would have been thrown out at the end of each night--that I ate just to fill my belly. Can't eat popcorn to this day from hunger PTSD, needless to say.
Posted by Original Andrew on August 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 13
I can see the head line now: "LOPTMANN eats past pull date food, gets really really sick, sues employer for negligence for not telling him eating past pull date items might cause illness and that eating past pull date items is in violation of Health Department codes."

Loptmann needs to take personal responsibility on this one. He broke the rules.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on August 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
“We do not want our partners to consume potentially spoiled products and get sick.”

If I patronized Starbucks, I think I'd find it especially worrisome that their spokesperson stated and therefore company-official, position is that food coming out of their cases may already be dangerously spoiled.
Posted by I Don't Buy It on August 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 15
@5- The idea of firing someone for stealing TRASH is insane.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on August 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
@7 I'm guessing it's because someone who saw it happen reported Loptman, and to not act after having something reported would have caused more problems for the store from a staff management position. But what Hutson said it does seem that there could have been a warning instead of a termination.

working for a corporation is such a double edged sword - Starbucks is a pretty good employer (the health benefits may be $$, but the years I was working as a barista/server I never had a job that offered health insurance at any price), but it also means there is less flexibility in dealing with things on an individual basis.

I feel for Loptman. When I first moved to Seattle I was totally broke, and often the only food I ate all day was the 2nd day baked goods my cafe employer was going to toss at the end of the day. Being hungry sucks - being hungry and watching edible food get thrown away sucks more.
Posted by genevieve on August 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
All the crap they sell is garbage. Overpriced garbage at that.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 18
It also needs to be said that the people who develop these "policies" have no goddamn idea what it's like to try to survive on low wages and go hungry. Fuck them with a rusty chainsaw.
Posted by Original Andrew on August 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Ok, so someone saw him take the sandwich and told the manager about it? Was it to alert the manager that the coworker was stealing or hungry? I can't wrap my head around why no one was concerned that this person was obviously hungry! If I saw my coworker eating from the trash, I'd talk to them. "Hey, are you okay?" Four words. That's all it takes.
Posted by texast on August 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 20

I wouldn't want to be served a beverage or food by someone who just stuck his hand in the garbage to eat an expired sandwich. Yuck!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on August 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM · Report this
@15
It is a pretty standard restaurant policy. I worked at a pizza restaurant all through college. They had the same policy but many of the cooks would still made up fake pickup orders. At close they'd fish the boxes from the trash to take home. These guys weren't starving though. They were just stoners who were looking for a little pizza to go with their after work buzz.
Posted by Senor Guy on August 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Well, stealing from anyone's garbage is actually a crime, so...

The real travesty is that Starbucks won't feed its employees during their shift.
Posted by Master if the Obvious on August 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM · Report this
I worked a shitty IT support job and supplemented my income with a few extra K in student loans. I'll gladly take my extra debt over this crumb-eating 3-jobs crap everyone else apparently had to do.
Posted by The CHZA on August 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
lolorhone 24
@13: Bullshit. He eat it out of the trash. Not only is there a reasonable expectation of spoilage, once any item is placed in the trash it ceases to be an individual/entity's property. That's why the police can rifle through your trash for evidence without a warrant or any kind of notice. Also, the stated reason for termination was stealing, not opening the store up to liability.
Posted by lolorhone on August 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM · Report this
AFinch 25
@6 - could not agree more - there are authoritarian bootlickers in every organization. This is why I keep a job where I am the boss of the shop, even if I could make significantly more by going out and working for someone else.

The thing that shocks me - and I don't buy this is about corporate liability for workers getting sick - is that they don't deal with loss/theft by paying a portion of their shitty wages in food. I know I'm a middle-aged crank, but when I was a teen/twenty-something like this kid, that was SOP: you got a meal/food. I fed - along with my step-brother who worked for a similar joint - nearly the entire house (six kids and two parents) on day-old food from the bakery where I worked. My step-brother brought home the Bojangles by the bucket load. My parents had no idea how good they had it grocery-wise.

It's not like I really needed another reason to avoid their over-priced over-burned crappy coffee (it's weak to save on beans, but they figure by charring it they can give the impression it's "strong" - Peets is vastly better), but now I've got one on a par with Chick-fil-A - another place I'd never go anyway.
Posted by AFinch on August 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM · Report this
McGee 26
@20 Ha ha! Doesn't seem that Bailo has ever heard of soap and water. I's expect no less from someone willingly living in Kent. Maybe your odor is why all those young waitresses you lurk over at Kent Station find you repulsive?
Posted by McGee on August 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
@19 We can be fairly confident that whoever reported this was a shitty human being who wanted bad things to happen to Loptmann. The answer to "Why didn't they help him?" is "Because they wanted to harm him."
Posted by Ruke on August 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
AirBuddy 28
@2 fair enough, but it sure does sound cruelly robotic in this les mis kind of situation.
Posted by AirBuddy on August 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Fenrox 29
uhuhuhuhuhuhuh, yeah so the real story, manager sees employee eat trash, manager fires employee because manager thinks employee is dirty/creepy/homeless/trashman.

just post the lady's email or whatever so we can tell her that dirty/creepy/homeless/trashman is people tooooooozzzzzzzz.
Posted by Fenrox on August 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
McGee 30
It would sicken you to know how much food your beloved Metropolitan Market puts into the trash on a daily basis. Not even because it is spoiled or out of date. Most of it because it isn't aesthetically pleasing enough to be on the shelves.
Posted by McGee on August 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 31
Yup. That was the policy at Seattle's Best as well.

There was an incredible amount of food that was thrown away. None of it officially spoiled. And, to prevent store employees from stealing the food, it all had to be thrown away. Taking it home was a separatable offence. Movie theaters that I worked for realized that they paid their employees shit wages, and let them take home popcorn. But, the corporate coffee shops? Nope. Safeway delis were the same for the longest time.

They do that to encourage you to spend money on their shitty food during your shifts.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on August 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
32 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
@15, @21 - definitely a standard corporate policy. In college, when we whippersnappers would dumpster dive, the local grocery store started pouring something - oil? I don't remember - in their dumpsters to keep us from being able to eat it.

It's not only about spoilage and potential health liability - When I worked for a Perkins restaurant in Cincinnati, they decided to change the style of plastic cups they used. They threw out all of the perfectly usable existing cups in the whole restaurant, and we were told it would be a fireable offense to take them out of the garbage.

I still have my two Perkins cups from our stealth recon mission that night ...
Posted by genevieve on August 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
JonnoN 34
" Even if he was scheduled, he could still be sent home if the store got slow."

This ought to be straight up illegal. You make a worker's schedule 1-2 weeks in advance, they show up, they get paid. Not paying for a shift agreed upon in advance is theft.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on August 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this
Lissa 35
As a former partner I can tell you that yes that is their policy's but as the Starbucks spokesperson said, eating mark outs will not get you fired unless there are other factors in play.
When l lost my job at WAMU in 2008, and spent the next 18 months trying to keep body and soul together working part time at Starbucks I pretty much lived on mark outs. I was a closer, and at the end of the night we divided up the sandwiches and yogurts from the cold case that had expired that day. It helped keep me fed, and everybody did it including the shift supervisors.
Unless you got greedy or stupid, there was no issue.
Posted by Lissa on August 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this
This is none of our business. It's a private company. He sold them his labor in a private transaction. It's between those two. It's got nothing to do with us.
Posted by dean.fuller on August 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM · Report this
@31 Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks. Of course the policy is the same.
Posted by AliasM on August 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
As an ex "partner" of Starbucks, I watched my supervisor mark-out 20+ sandwiches/pastries DAILY, individually wrapped, tossed in the garbage to rot. Starbucks claims to care about their people and community but truly they don't care. They just care about their profits!
Posted by dk86 on August 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 39
I'm sorry he's having to look for work. That's just the worst. What is that pendant around his neck?
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on August 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
I'm just going to point out that if they wanted to fire everyone that ever took a markout, they'd pretty much need an entirely new workforce.

Someone didn't like that kid and reported him.
Posted by AliasM on August 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 41
#24 Bullshit. He broke not only Starbucks' policy of eating past pull date, but he broke State Health Code too. Whether you agree with either is immaterial. The trash was not in the alley if I know what happened, it was in the store. Starbucks' property. Not subject to police search as it was in the store as I said. There are reasons for pull dates. They might be non-sense dates, but talk to the Health Department. Starbucks does not make those rules they just follow them. And as for stealing, that's the manager's call and she made it. I get the impression Loptmann is an immature individual first for not eating something BEFORE his shift, and second for not working at a second store to increase his hours. YEAH Starbucks does allow its employees to work at more than one store. REMEMBER PEOPLE your complaint should be with the Health Department for insisting on pull dates YOU find wasteful. Starbucks is just living by THIER rules. Grow up for christ's sake.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on August 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
two words: constructive discharge. Except, it didn't work, so they stacked the deck and fired him.
Posted by hmmmmm on August 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
@41 - That "eating something past pull date" thing was a complete asspull. Breakfast sandwiches are dated with a day stamp, not a time stamp. If they have a "Tuesday" on them, they are thrown out Tuesday night BEFORE THE STORE CLOSES, at the discretion of the shift supervisor. If someone decides to buy a sandwich before the supervisor deems it time to get rid of markouts, they are actually encouraged to sell same-day food... even if it is five minutes before markout time. The Health Department doesn't have anything to do with it.

However, you are spot on in that when you are a Starbucks partner, you can work at any Starbucks operated by the company... it doesn't even have to be in the same goddamn state!
Posted by AliasM on August 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
schmacky 44
Starbucks isn't the only place with a policy like this in place...I got in trouble and almost fired once for trying to steal uneaten (and bound for the garbage) buffet pizza from the Godfathers I worked at in my poverty-stricken college days. The fuckers would throw away like five pies every lunch, so it didn't seem like that big a deal.

But my managers cited health department regulations for their assholery, not "stealing"...that's seriously lame.
Posted by schmacky on August 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
Starbucks calls its employees 'partners'? That's some fucked-up Newspeak right there.
Posted by ignatz ratzkywatzky on August 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 46
@39, looks like a pendant of Thor's Hammer
Posted by Akbar Fazil on August 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM · Report this
was this the same guy I saw drinking at the rickshaw Saturday night? YUP! Don't bitch about being poor if you can afford cocktails....
Posted by singledadworking2jobs on August 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I would also like to point out that while the kid could have been getting 40 hours a week by covering shifts at other stores, he still would have qualified for food stamps working full time. $9.94 x (40 hours x 4 weeks) = $1590.40, which is below the gross income maximum for a single-person household to receive Basic Food benefits. (seen here: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/food/BFQAs.pd… )

$9.94 is also $0.77 above current minimum wage, meaning he had received at least one raise already, probably two considering he had been employed for over a year.
Posted by AliasM on August 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM · Report this
I thought Starbucks had a deal with donating unsold food to the non-profit Northwest Harvest? At least they did, in the past.

Trash is trash, it can't be considered stealing. I call bullshit.
Posted by Former partner on August 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Let's see here: dude violates company policy, dude gets caught violating company policy, dude goes to Stranger to complain.

Dude, good luck finding another job with your résumé anywhere within 200 miles of Seattle.
Posted by Sugartit on August 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Banna 51
It's a dumb policy, but there is some economic reasoning behind it.

When I was a clerk at Fred Meyer, I often lived for weeks off of closing time fried chicken, jojos, etc. It wasn't being thrown out, however; the deli manager would just mark down items in the deli case to "lower than dirt cheap" for the last hour of the day to get rid of it and still make a buck or two. I'd get $30 worth of deli food for $5 and eat it until it actually did go bad in my fridge.

I guess it was a common enough practice that it began to be abused; deli managers were having extra food made at the last minute and then marking it down so employees could buy it cheap.

Starbucks might have the same reasoning; it keeps store managers from over-ordering on lemon pound cakes and doughnut pops so employees don't take home expired stuff to cater their fancy dress parties (or whatever).

To wrap up this boring, stupid tale: The "No expired/markdown food sales" policy is one of the things that motivated me to quit that job and get one that paid me enough to afford to buy regular food and made me into the corporate titan I am today.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on August 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
As a former Starbucks Manager, I was told under no uncertain terms to systematically take action to separate employees which did not meet the "Starbucks" definition of an ideal barista (older employees, any employee who was paid over the market cap, alternative employees (all definitions) and employees who were unable to move up the ladder). It was a "top-down" directive and it was discussed during all of my performance evaluations. I was told that 100% turnover was acceptable but not to do it all at once or it would look bad.
Posted by Andy 78 on August 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
stirwise 53
WTF happened to Starbucks? 10 years ago they sent home workers with bags of marked out sandwiches and pastries. Now they're not allowed to eat them at all? Is this a standard industry practice now? When I was a barista at a different chain a million years ago I basically lived on leftover croissants and madeleines. Blarg.
Posted by stirwise on August 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 54
@34,

I agree with you, but good luck with that. The big boys could suck up a policy like that, but a huge number of small businesses rely on having employees on call that can be sent away when things get slow.

The worst job I ever had was like that. My hours kept getting cut back to the point that I was working only ten hours a week, but my entire purpose of working there was to fill in for my coworker whenever she was out sick, making it very difficult for me to find a second job. My boss ultimately did me a huge favor when she fired me (for bullshit reasons).
Posted by keshmeshi on August 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Lissa 55
@52: Where was this? That certainly was not the case in my district. In all the stores I worked we had plenty of older baristas as well as "alternative" ones of all stripes including a partner with Downs Syndrome.
Your district manager was an asshole.
Posted by Lissa on August 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
When I was a really little kid, I'd wait up late with my siblings, hungry as fuck, just hoping my dad (who delivered pizzas as a second job) would come home with one made in error. I don't know if those came through the trash, but I wouldn't have cared. We also dumpster-dove for expired junk food at the gas station where my mom worked. One of the employees figured it out, but instead of reporting her (what kind of asshole does that?) he started just leaving the stuff beside the dumpster instead of throwing it in.

My heart goes out to this guy so so much.
Posted by wxPDX on August 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
Skye Blu 57
"bind not the mouths of the kine who tread your grain"
Posted by Skye Blu on August 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 58
stop snitchin'!
Posted by Max Solomon on August 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM · Report this
<3 @ 56.

If a single nasty old sausage muffin was that big of a deal, they should have asked him to pay for it, and warn him not to do it again. You shouldn't just outright fire a person for it. Maybe ask him WHY he's eating the garbage. God damn. I'd like to hope there's more to this story and that they're not seriously this senseless.
Posted by intoxipolitan on August 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 60
What I have learned most from this is that I would never want to work for any of you ever.
Posted by Unregistered User on August 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
How was the springs strike "extraordinarily successful"? None of their demands happen. And the fact that this guy had to take food out of the garbage is proof how " extraordinarily successful" the strikes were. Sure the strikes got some attention and people talking, but that makes it as successful as Kony 2012.
Posted by j2patter on August 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM · Report this
My wife is an ex-Starbucks employee. While she has very little in the way of nice things to say about the company, she did say she worked with this guy when she was filling shifts a couple of times. She said the guy was very entitled, rude to both coworkers and customers, and nobody liked working shifts with him because of his rudeness. I imagine when the Starbucks spokesman said "a partner could be separated for an infraction like this if it was the culmination of broader, ongoing performance issues", it was the likely explanation for the termination.
Posted by Riotsalad on August 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Ugh, how was the strike "extraordinarily successful"? None of their demands happened. And cases like this poor guy getting fired show how "extraordinarily successful" was. Sure the strike got some people talking about it, but that makes it as successful as kony 2012.
Posted by j2patter on August 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Bah, sorry for the double post, I thought the first one didn't post.
Posted by j2patter on August 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
Im really getting tired of starbucks. who the heck cares they were throwing it away, if they had it on the shelf a minute before someone could have purchased it but he grabbed it and I dont see anything wrong with a hungry person eating it....
Posted by Pollyaldrich on August 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM · Report this
My brother used to work at Dick's back in the late 70's, and when he'd close up at 2am they'd let him take home any leftover burgers that were otherwise going to be ditched. ("Breakage", they called them.) He'd often come home with a bag full of random burgers, and we'd chow down in the middle of the night while watching NBC News Overnight with Linda Ellerbee (remember that show?). We weren't going hungry to begin with, but if we had been, those bags of burgers would have been lifesavers. Kudos to Dick's for letting their employees avoid throwing out perfectly good food (at least back then).
Posted by DBBird on August 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM · Report this
SPG 67
$30 a week in tips? Starbucks customers must really suck.
Posted by SPG on August 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 68
@33- Just because it's standard doesn't make it sane.

My brother worked for a Dunkin' Donuts back when Mark Wahlberg was Markie Mark and policy was the old donuts (like 12 hours old max) got put in a trashbag and placed in the dumpster from which the politely waiting homeless guy would remove them once the employee was back in the store. My brother asked to be allowed to just hand the guy the fucking donuts and skip the insipid charade and was told he would get fired if he was seen doing that.

Fucking insane.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on August 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
There seem to be quite a few chickenshit authoritarian bootlickers on this thread.
Posted by CPN on August 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM · Report this
I worked at Starbucks about a decade ago, and I did live off of "marked out" food - most of us did. My manager knew about it and turned a blind eye. Other Starbucks I worked at had theft that was even more egregious, where it wasn't just fresh food that was eaten and "marked out," but also entire freaking jugs of milk (not to mention cases of whipits.)

I was actually just thinking today about how we used to trade three Venti Frappucinos for a Papa John's pizza. Or Jamba Juice smoothies.

The point I'm making is that this person's manager is using a policy to do something they already wanted to do: fire this employee. I worked at three locations in the Chicago area, and subbed at most of the locations on the Northside at some point during my three years with the company. This kind of stuff happened at EVERY SINGLE STORE. it even happened at Seattle's Best (also, a decade ago, and in Chicago), and the manager of the "regional flagship" store encouraged us to eat mark-outs instead of letting them go to waste, even though it was against company policy.

I hate to cast doubt on this employee, because frankly, I'm sure that they need a job, and I'm sure that their manager didn't have any actual reason to fire them until this documented incident, but this was likely a means of doing the inevitable. Starbucks is a great employer when the economy is booming. I worked for them right before the Dot Com Bust. After the Bust, things went south REAL quick as our regulars dried up.
Posted by Laura Q. http://www.quasilaur.net on August 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM · Report this
I forgot to mention, when they want to get rid of you, but can't fire you for grounds, they start eliminating your hours. Specifically, they start to make it really hard to make the amount of hours per week to maintain your health insurance. During my time at Starbucks, that was 20 hours per week. Mine got cut to 17 hours after a store transfer. I won't lie, I was not well-liked at that store (I tended to take "too long" to close by doing crazy shit, like actually cleaning during the time alotted to close.)
Posted by Laura Q. http://www.quasilaur.net on August 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM · Report this
they should just ask employees if they want them before they toss them out. Make the employees sign a waiver releasing liability should you consume something and get sick. Simple. Other food establishments do it all the time. Itʻs ridiculous that they had to fire him for that. but I do know that even trash is considered private property. I tried to help a needy family that would wait outside the grocery store I worked at to go through the trash for food. Iʻd leave the "good looking items" in a cart off to the side and not throw them in the dumpster, sometimes even left some PB&J sandwiches Iʻd made from home...thankfully I didnʻt get fired like this person, but my manager told me that I could no longer let them have any expired items from our store. Needless to say, the company fenced off and locked our trash area. Itʻs sad. People need help. Whether itʻs a little or a lot. Itʻs just a sandwich. People are more important than policies.
Posted by temaru on August 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM · Report this
-B- 73
A "partner" instead of employee and "separated" instead of fired.
Sounds more like jargon from a cult.

"The partner will separate themselves from the flock, never to communicate again. The sun machine will decent from the sky and all the chosen will be allowed to be taken to the star and saved. The separated will not.
Posted by -B- http://brianboulton.com/ on August 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM · Report this
Just imagine, a Starbucks employee on food stamps had to eat a spoiled sandwich to make ends meet. It reads like the perfect libertarian dystopia that it is.
Posted by anon1256 on August 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM · Report this
emor 75
The only time I ever made someone stop digging through our dumpster was when it was a couple mini-punx obviously looking for receipts to scam us. Otherwise, have at it!
Posted by emor on August 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM · Report this
I was just reminded why I don't do starbucks. They are hypocrites. They talk a good game, but in the end that all it is, just talk.
Posted by freechess on August 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM · Report this
I will bet he didn't mind going home early on days he had somewhere else to be. Starbucks is a fantastic company to work for. Also, they are huge on documenting everything, so I would assume he knew that eating the sandwiches wasn't allowed. I am so tired of everyone wanting handouts.
Posted by poopoo12 on August 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM · Report this
It's bad enough having been down your luck enough to find yourself digging through the garbage for food. To have someone see it and have the nerve to report it is absurd. Clearly they've never been in dire straights. Even so, to have the manager get all high-horse about it. It's a sandwich, did it once, came out of the trash - not off the shelf- give me a break! That's when it's "okay" to look the other way. Not like going through the register and coming up short $50. People need to piss off, seriously.
Posted by MissusOinks on August 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM · Report this
seatackled 79
@77

Welcome, new troll and Starbucks spokesmodel.
Posted by seatackled on August 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM · Report this
I used to work for a company that let us have the food that are past its freshness date, I'm very grateful to the owner for helping us during our time of needs.

I also understand why Starbucks have to do what they did, they have to protect their image and hold everyone to a higher standard. Unfortunately, cutting peoples hours and the nation being in a recession will result to this.

The manager could have been a little more sympathetic and give a warning, rather than immediately terminating. No one wants to dig in the garbage unless they are really really desperate.
Posted by Anthony_kiss_my_ass on August 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM · Report this
I worked at starbucks years ago... and I lived off of marked out bagels, maple oat scones, and muffins. They were going in the trash, but the manager would say "take home what you want... otherwise it is going in the trash." I couldn't afford food most of the time, so this was a plus for me. I was anorexic looking because I was starving. This helped me when I needed it.

Starbucks should be ashamed.
Posted by MFJ on August 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM · Report this
I worked out Starbucks years ago, and survived a lot of the time on marked out food items... but back in the day they only had bagels, muffins, and the best maple oat scones. We made and drank as many concoctions of drinks that we could possibly think of... We knew what would go to waste. It was just common knowledge that this is what we all did. It was a great store, one of the busy stores in the district.

We were always cool with each other, the managers understood what was up. At least most of them did. Some were weird and tell you to mark out the drinks you were drinking, etc. The person- guessing shift supervisor that reported this to the manager probably didn't like this guy, or was scared straight by corporate that someone would find out and then the shift supervisor would get in trouble. Basically the person reporting it drank a little too much of the Starbucks "kool aide", well... maybe more like frappacinos.

Starbucks should be ashamed. This kid should get his job back, or some severance. This is no way to treat a person that is hungry and trying to better himself. Fuck. pay him a livable wage. I feel so bad for this kid. I've been there. I bet a lot of these people haven't experienced a time in their life like this, and have no idea how hard it can be... you get desperate.
Posted by MFJ on August 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM · Report this
The fact that the guy's on foodstamps has nothing to do with anything, unless it's the Slog and one of their bleeding heart writers decides to gin up a story to make it more pathetic than it otherwise would be. People get canned for dumb reasons from crappy foodservice and retail jobs all the time. Making this some big corporate war against the poor is nonsense, but that's sort of the Stranger's MO, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked. Get yourself a real job at a company that doesn't hire teenagers to do the same job you do if you want not to be under the thumb of stupid policies.
Posted by pheeeew!crack!boom! on August 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM · Report this
@62 - TRUTH. This is, I'm betting, exactly what happened. Being rude, unless you break some very specific rules, isn't really something you can be written up for, and most sbux employees are too passive-aggressive to really do anything about it. If they wanted him gone, they might have just been looking for any old excuse to get rid of him and grabbed this one when it came up.
Posted by AliasM on August 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM · Report this
This guy worked so I don't see him as wanting a "hand-out" only a "hand-up."
Split shifts are awful. Getting your hours cut or being sent home because it's slow leaves you scared and stressed. People can't afford food these days.
It is expensive - and more so in "wealthy" areas such as Seattle. If the food is being thrown out, and is in the garbage already, then it should be fair-game to be taken out and consumed. The politics of hunger in America.......
Posted by smile4u on August 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM · Report this
James McDaniel 86
I can't believe nobody's made reference to that Seinfeld episode yet...
Posted by James McDaniel http://jamesmcdaniel.com on August 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM · Report this
Quincy 87
And you will starve again Loptman, unless you know the meaning of the law!
Posted by Quincy on August 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM · Report this
Most Peeps Are Assholes 88
A reasonable policy.
Posted by Most Peeps Are Assholes on August 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM · Report this
What happened to having a conscience? Wtf can't they just give the guy a couple of sandwiches so he can take something home to eat? Damn people show some heart and take the time to listen, the man was doing eveything he could to stay afloat in this life sucking corporate world. People need to be people, not puppets of their own policies!
Posted by Grego509 on August 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM · Report this
When he started getting less hours, he should have looked for a new job, plain and simple. It's his own fault, no matter how you look at it, and a $15/hr minimum wage ($31200/yr)? Well, say hello to inflation, and that's what a 63%.2 raise?

So if they get this 63.2% raise, does that mean that I should get a 63.2% raise as well in my current job? Because I know I could use an extra $29.38/hr ( $61k/yr)

What these geniuses either don't realize, or refuse to acknowledge is that when they ask for a raise like that, I am going to need to increase my own pay by a significant amount in order to maintain my own standard of living as inflation hits. So, with the logic they have, I should be making right around $160k/yr to MAINTAIN my current standard of living if they get this raise. If my own wages do not go up equally as a percentage, then my standard of living, goes down, and the career I have built, is now worth "LESS"

Additionally, why do they want $15/hr? Why not $100/hr? $1000/hr? Seriously, how about $10,000/hr? It won't change anything right? Prices won't go up right? LMFAO!

What is reasonable is that if you don't like how much you are making at your job, you go out and find a different one that either offers real full-time employment, or pays more, or some combination of both.

Posted by 6figGuy on August 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM · Report this
There are lawyers for wrongful termination. Some won't charge fees unless you win your case. If you're not in a union, call labor commissions.
Posted by Elizabetha1986 on August 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM · Report this
Why did that skank manager even have to say anything to HR? She can't make a decision herself? She's using them to justify her inhumane discompassion. Utter 1% BS.
Posted by Jaygo on August 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM · Report this
WTF is a 21 year old doing on FoodStamps? You are healthy and strong enough to work, you do not have any kids to feed, WTF?
Posted by Really1970 on August 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM · Report this
Hard to believe 85 comments from supposed progressives and not one mention of the word union. In a union environment, there are clear rules for terminating employees and a grievance procedure with assistance and sometimes mediation from a shop steward. Whether this employee was right oar wrong, a good or bad employee, he deserved a clear process negotiated with the employer. Everyone deserves that.
Posted by Bruce MacDonald on August 28, 2013 at 6:21 AM · Report this
this is the country we have.
We have employees who eat garbage and get fired.
Look yourself in the mirror and ask your self what can you do to change.
I am embarrassed of our country.
We have 400 billion for f-35 airplanes, we have nothing for hungry workers.
I am not talking about food stamps.
This person works. Has a job.
And is starving. And we don't have plans out there for people who work.
I am not talking about people on the dole.
I am talking about hard working people getting nothing back from this country.
But we have 400 billion for planes.
Posted by jimmyolsenblues on August 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM · Report this
once something is thrown into the garbage..its considered to be abandoned property....who the fuck are the corporate pigs to say its theft? an alternative to the problem would be to let the employee eat the sandwiches before it goes into the dumpster...this bs is fucking petty
Posted by pieman on August 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM · Report this
"not one mention of the word union. In a union environment, there are clear rules for terminating employees and a grievance procedure with assistance and sometimes mediation from a shop steward. "

Yes, can you imagine how shitty the service will be with baristas who can't be fired? Union coffee shop. Sounds like some horror from the USSR or my home country before Maggie fixed it.

Sounds like his co-worker above got it right - he was an entitled, rude asshole they were looking for an excuse to get rid of. In a union shop he'd be the boss.

Too poor to eat? Horseshit. You wanna bet he has a shinny iPhone, data plan, goes out drinking and clubbing with friends all the time. I did this kind of work at low wages, you ate the food so you could spend your money elsewhere.

Good luck finding another job in Seattle moron.
Posted by Union coffee shop = DMV coffee shops on August 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM · Report this
It is stealing. If this weren't a rule, an employee could rest food on top of the garbage and then take it and eat it for free. If this employee had foresight they would have gone to their supervisor and said "This sandwich is going to be thrown out, and I can't afford lunch. Do you mind if I eat it?"

I could afford to eat, but I would always ask my old boss in food service whether she minded me eating something that was going to get thrown out. She would always say yes, but I never took the previous statement as precedent for the next item.

It is stealing, and while the employee is in a bad situation he should have thought ahead and asked.
Posted by randomname2 on August 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM · Report this
if he grabbed it out of the garbage in the back dumpster its not stealing. its public property.
Posted by filmie007 on August 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM · Report this
@99 public property? On what planet, Planet Freegan?
Posted by Sugartit on August 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 101
@87 FTW!

This makes me sick. I'd expect it from a lot of places but I really thought Starbuck's was more progressive. This should have been a slap on the wrist at most (and really not even that). I honestly would have expected them to sit him down and talk about his desparate living situation and maybe offer him a few more hours or give him a gift card to use for food for a little while or something.

Naive of me to expect compassion from a giant corporation who touts their charible work in 3rd wold nations, I know.
Posted by Baby Blue on August 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 102
That's it. I'm writing a strongly worded letter.
Posted by Baby Blue on August 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Wonder if Starbucks is one of the many employers who profit the $2400 tax CREDIT for hiring those on 'welfare, SS or FOOD STAMPS' ? Might help make sense of why this young man was on FOOD STAMPS.

The business owners get that tax credit and they don't have to keep the employee on for any amount of time. They can have (and do) endless turnovers. Big red flag.

I've been burned with jobs 2x this way this summer before the international franchised sandwich shop blatantly had me talk to a person on the phone she had dialed and shoved in my face on day one of 'two weeks training'. There was a laminated paper with that company's name who investigated new hires. Most of questions were about my being on 'welfare, SS or Food Stamps'.

I really think many 'businesses' like these stupid sandwich/coffee businesses are really just front covers to collect as many of those $2400 tax CREDITS as possible. Credits can turn into refunds and that's how these monster corps end up paying NO TAXES and get refunds!

So all you who think your plates are covered and like to beat down the minimum wage slaves who are treated like trash they aren't allowed to eat with 24/7 cameras on them during their miserable job lives know that YOU are paying those corps with all those tax credits they love to harm desperate working people with by dumping them when they don't comply with needs for them to collect those $2400 tax credits or dump employees, partners or 'sandwich artists' when they've served their real purpose. COLLECTING THOSE $2400 TAX CREDITS WITH EACH APPROVED HIRE.
Posted by stupid for work on August 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM · Report this
starbucks just lost another customer.. as a washington resident I have a pretty decent coffee habit but usually only goto a starbucks once a week or so.. I won't be going there anymore.. i'd rather drive out of my way to NOT support such a heartless corporate ideal..

the manager didn't have to enforce the rule and could of instead asked him about his situation to see if there was a way to schedule more hours or work with him in some way. If I was his manager and corporate rules were dictation my decision I would of paid for the damned sandwich myself and then had the sit down to come up with a compromise on how to help the fella out. I wouldn't fire him.
Posted by Saxe2600 http://www.thegutterandthegold.com on August 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM · Report this
I loved their Blonde Coffee... I'll NEVER consume another Starbuck product as long as they live!
Posted by Phil.Sergent on August 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 106
I'm sure there's more to the story. Starbucks wanted to get rid of him for one reason or another but they didn't handle it honestly. Whether they wanted to get out of paying unemployment or had collected the credit and were ready to move on to the next unfortunate soul, they way they handled it is an outrage.

Here's my letter to SB:
"I recently read the story on SLOG regarding the firing of an employee for eating an expired product that had been thrown away (http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive…). I am disgusted by this (and not just because the employee ate garbage). You have an employee that is in such dire straits that he is willing to eat garbage and you FIRE him rather than offering assistance? For a company that works so hard to tout its charitable contributions to treat any human being this way is an especially disappointing turn of events. I will not be returning to a Starbucks store until I know that measures have been taken to restore this individual's employment (with hopefully a few extra hours) and prevent this from ever happening to another employee.

My suggestion would be to make food items available as free shift meals when they reach their pull dates so that employees wouldn't have the temptation to eat spoiled food out of the garbage since I know you aren't willing to pay a living wage. Your company certainly has the resources to give a starving employee a sandwich. Have some compassion, damn it."

Send SB some feedback of your own about this here: http://customerservice.starbucks.com/app…
More...
Posted by Baby Blue on August 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Starbucks sucks, anyway...
Posted by Mr. Vince on August 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
So five minutes earlier it was safe for a customer but now it is a potential danger to the employee and starbucks just wants to keep them from getting sick. Yeah sure...
Posted by TEB on August 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM · Report this
I hope this goes viral and Starbucks loses millions of dollars if they don't give this guy his job back!
Posted by jonboy64 on August 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
"The facts are he violated policy, and while they didn't have to fire him, they had every right to do so. "

What do their rights have to do with it? Just because you have a RIGHT to do a thing doesn't mean you're not a dick for exercising that right. I have the right to go to a nice restaurant, have great service, and leave zero tip. Just because it's my right doesn't mean I'm not a fucking asshole for doing it
Posted by Reader01 on August 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
I've NEVER been to a Starbucks in my 53 yrs. of life! And I never will!!! I am a retired McDonald's manager and made a semi-fair salary as well as benefits and perks. I always let my severely under paid employees reap the benefits of expired food that could not be donated to local food shelters per state health regulations. Yes they received 1/2 off their food when working, but I usually would "manager meal" (free) their food. One of my benny's all the free food I wanted, but since I don't eat fast food, I just paid it forward, to my under paid employee's and their families.
I just don't understand why the manager followed the path chosen, to resolve this issue. 1) Lose a good, reliable employee; 2) Just try to replace the position with someone as capable, keeping in mind the cost of new employee training, uniforms(if supplied, most don't)!!! Last I knew, about $900.00 per new employee vs. a $5.00 sandwich from the trash??? That seems to be a lose/lose for all involved!!! I truly hope Coulson applies and gets unemployment comp. to the hilt!!!
Why don't all these mega corporations add another form with all the state/federal mandated forms for employment, stating they will not sue if they eat expired food??? Especially since I can go buy a McDonald's sandwich, place it on my counter and it only gets hard...GMO food does not mold or 'go bad' for years!!! Try the experiment yourselves, though most of you won't!!!!! COULSON, I AM SO ON YOUR SIDE!!! STARBUCKS YOU SHOULD BE SO ASSHAMED, and I hope this causes the company to either revamp or get pushed out of business, via the consumer. Your coffee prices are out of this world, that to me = SEVERE CORPORATE GREED...yeah, you employ x amount of employees but they are living at BELOW POVERTY LEVEL. I sure hope all you CEO's, COO's, CFO's, and whatever title's you've invented can sleep at night...YOU TRULY SUCK!!!!!!
More...
Posted by ornges on August 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
@#107 Correct
@#110 Washington is an at-will employment state, they can fire you for any reason at any time and you can quit for any reason at any time
Posted by 6figGuy on August 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
@112 - how does that relate in any way to what I said
Posted by Reader01 on August 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
I can't believe how many people on this thread act like its Starbucks' responsibility to feed Colson.

Anyone who's worked for any food service company knows that this is the pretty standard policy. It's because if you say that you can't eat anything, then employees (me included) only eat a little but. If the policy was more liberal, then the employees would eat more than they sold.

Places like Starbucks give you more hours if you perform, and less if the manager cringes a little when they put your name on the schedule. Want more hours? Be a better employee. Don't know how? Ask your manager. I imagine a lot of people feel like they're entitled to a minimum number of hours for whatever irrational reason, but that's never the way it's going to be.
Posted by seattle_b on August 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM · Report this
The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton 115
62 seems to have the heart of the matter more than most.
Posted by The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lawton on August 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Is it illegal the eat out of a dumpster??? after all Police, FBI etc., take stuff from trash cans as evidence, because only then is it legal to take.
Posted by Jast on August 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Starbucks has an employee assistance program he could have applied for.
sounds like a problem with the manager not the company.
also they call them partners because they offer stock to all employees
Posted by trose on August 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM · Report this
ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ 118
I work in stock currently, and it's company policy that items marked out of stock (colloquially, M.O.S.-ed) have to be discarded and can't go to employees. This is a sensible rule, because otherwise there's an incentive for employees to MOS stuff so they can have it for free.
Still, it's not the sort of thing you should get fired for doing. If someone has a good track record with a company, they'd probably get a warning from the manager and maybe have to pay for the sandwich or whatever. If he really did have a clean record, the manager overstepped her bounds.
Posted by ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ on August 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Yeah. My dad was laid off in March after thirty years of service because a customer gave him two bags of chips he didn't want. They were promotional items and barely 50g each. Theft.

Yay! Fuck you, Starwood Hotels!
Posted by Gloria on August 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM · Report this
@94: Uh, nope. My dad was in a union and they gave him jacksquat. They told him there were 4-5 cases just like his, weird accusations of theft of meaningless items, and they weren't going to take any of the cases to arbitration because theft doesn't go well in arbitration.

They went through the process and washed their hands of the matter. Process didn't work for him, or the 4-5 other people who got fucked in the same way.
Posted by Gloria on August 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM · Report this
I feel like every broke ass seattlite has at least been tempted to work for Starbucks. I was and i did. I stole food everyday whether it was expired or not. I bought things once or twice to keep the scent off. My roommates and i lived off of day old Starbucks food. Most managers shouldn't have time to go over old security footage. Someone complained, money went missing, or she was looking for a reason.
Posted by stealingisthebestpartoffoodservice on August 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM · Report this
lolorhone 122
@41: Do you kick puppies when no one's looking?
Posted by lolorhone on August 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM · Report this
my wife lost her vacation pay at Mc Donalds . Because she took a bite of an expired cookie they were throwing out . She wanted to see how hold it was. Yeah it's tough to have a job. I lived in a motel once and worked at a restaurant at the best western. I ate leftovers from customers plates. The cook just called me gross. But I was starving.
Posted by skizzle42 on August 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM · Report this
Wow, that is terrible what happened to him, when you consider his circumstances generally. Do you care less if it were a rich employee that worked for the mere sport of it? But let me play devils advocate. Say an employee consumes food marked "spoilage" and gets sick. As a result, he faced medical bills. Do you think he has a case if he sues the company? Who is responsible for his medical bills he gained from eating a sandwhich marked "spoiled"?

If he does have a case that is winnable, that would mean that "spoilage" doesn't mean you can get sick. If he doesn't have a case, why have a policy to begin with? If it really just depends, you have to set a precedent to ensure your company isn't being sued for an error an employee makes, regardless of whether they are poor or polish leased cadillacs as a past time. Starbucks is cleaverly causious, the employee is simply unfortunate.
Posted by maglaw on August 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM · Report this

Posted by maglaw on August 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM · Report this

Posted by maglaw on August 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM · Report this
Here's the thing, who's to say that this guy was not eyeballing that tomato basil sandwich, maybe he even put it under the counter or told a customer the sandwich sucks... then it gets leftover, and well, if it's leftover and in the garbage, then why can't I eat that scrumptious tomato basil sandwich no one bought it today... rules are rules. Go about it the right way and you can find a meal in Seattle. There are lots of outlets including Gleaners who serve Starbucks leftovers. Not everything is free in life...

And just like maglaw states, and I'll take it a step further, this guy gets sick because his basil went bad, he sees a way to get off food stamps and sues the shit out of Starbucks because he now is permanently disabled, and that puts Starbucks in a pinch, so they cut back on labor and now you have 3 dozen guys on food stamps... Yes, that's how this works.

Don't shit where you sleep.
Posted by Fez's Sister on August 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM · Report this
I worked for Starbucks as a barista to put myself through college. At no point was there any issue finding hours - if I was scheduled light one week it was always easy to pick up extra shifts at other stores as there were always employees at other stores calling to get shifts covered. Also, the health insurance is quite cheap compared to what one could purchase on the free market - and employees opt in to purchase. If you are working few enough hours to be on food stamps then you probably aren't working enough to be eligible for the insurance in the first place and you certainly make little enough money to be eligible for aid should the unthinkable happen (as when I had an emergency appendectomy while working as an uninsured barista because I had cut my hours back due to the schedule my final 2 quarters earning my degree in accounting from the UW).

Starbucks is a giant corporation and it is incredibly difficult to fire people because they can't afford to have wrongful termination lawsuits. I find it nearly impossible to believe that eating food somebody else had marked out was his first offense.

Think instead of assuming that everybody is a victim.
Posted by tlong on August 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM · Report this
They took our jobs!
Posted by Polly Peptide on August 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM · Report this
A starbcks barista taking home expired and marked out food is considered internal theft, because a) he could have marked it out in order to take it or b) he would have purchased it if it wasnt made available free. They teach you about this policy within the first week, so whether its a lame policy or not, dude knew he couldn't take the food! No sympathy vote here!

Posted by seaguy01 on August 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM · Report this
This is bullshit!!! They shouldn't fire him for being hungry. Poor guy. Fuck You Starbucks Policy!!! What a Shame you people are ... The sandwhich was wrapped. I can see u have a policy but he didn't know about it. What about second chances?
Posted by Poly on August 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM · Report this
Hey, idiots. If you're angry some kid on foodstamps was laid off from Starbucks, "boycotting" them so that their sales go down and they have to fire MORE people is a fucking great idea.
Posted by AliasM on August 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM · Report this
Also, "tlonf" is right! I pay 50 a paycheck for great insurance and there's always hours to be had elsewhere if you put in the time and effort! Starbucks also gives you stock as an incentive to stay with the company, to which I've sold for several thousand dollars over time. They take care of you as long as you're not a total tard like this guy!
Posted by seaguy01 on August 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM · Report this
Some food for thought. If it was a sausage sandwich that was in the garbage that he ate. I want to know if he heated it up in the oven. Because if it was in the garbage and then went into the oven even if it was wrapped, then that is a huge health department violation.
Posted by JohnDoe on August 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM · Report this
@39. It's Thor's Hammer or a Mjolnir from Norse mythology.
Posted by Trajedy99 on August 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 136
@123 I'm pretty sure McDonald's can't legally take away your wife's vacation pay like that. You should talk to a lawyer.
Posted by Baby Blue on August 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM · Report this
AirBuddy commented: "Fuck that. Does Starbucks want us all in an over-regulated yet Hobbesian hellscape?"

Get ready for more of it, once the full force of the Affordable Care Act tsunami hits workers in 2014.
Posted by PaulinPinehurst on August 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this
This is not as rediculous as it seems. There was reportedly an ongoing pattern of employee misconduct, this was merely the incident that solidified his departure from Starbucks. It's very simple to jump to the logic of "hey! How DARE they fire a barista who is hungry and ate a sandwhich out of the trash".

Dig deeper. Think about it. While the story creates a provocative headline and causes a viral reaction due to the intitial reaction this incident stirs; this is a matter of an employee NOT behaving in a way becoming of the establishment he is paid to represent.

As someone above mentioned; "who would want the barista to serve them after seeing him dig into the trash and eat a sandwhich?".

Alternative lifestyles, and colorful eccentricities are all great and fabulous. However; at some point the simple human basics and logic will prevail no matter how piercings you have.

Eating out of the trash is not civilized. There are DOZENS of soup kitchens and food banks throughout all of King County. To say you are starving is a ridiculous line. Try calling 211. Try a community outreach. There is way way too much "help" in Seattle.

Why can't people consider these things when they decide to be a barista? Why should the rest of society have to be involved in their dumpster diving because they are not resourceful enough to go get food at a food bank.
Posted by iLovePussy on August 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM · Report this

Alternative lifestyles, and colorful eccentricities are all great and fabulous. However; at some point the simple human basics and logic will prevail no matter how many piercings you have.

Posted by iLovePussy on August 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
I worked at a deli long ago and workers would leave daily with cheese and ham stuffed in zip lock bags daily, not to mention the occasional eating on the job, this was a pricey place averaging 8.00 a lb ham and up to 16.00 for cheese and 9.00 salads so I would understand why these companies try to cut down on in store theft, people would steal the whole chickens we tossed out, breaking an entry on our premise to do so...
Posted by Lunavich on August 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Posted by Lunavich on August 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
I also had a coworker who was 18 and rode a scooter because he couldn't afford a car and rented a room in this family's house, although I am glad he was independent I swear that kid was always hungry and it would break my heart.
Posted by Lunavich on August 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM · Report this
Now he's just gonna be hungrier without a job!!!!
Posted by Lunavich on August 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 144
Turns out this guy was problem employee all around, and this was the last straw. Now he's fired, and potential employers can now just Google his name, and see that he missed shifts, was frequently late, and didn't get along with other staff members ...And that's just what he admits to doing.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on August 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Everyone has an opinion......but there is never any help.
Big corporations stay big,because they don't have to care.
As long as the top dogs keep their jobs,that's all that matters.
Everyone else are just meaningless,faceless people who do their bidding and are grateful for a scrap of bread. Sound like the Middle Ages?
Posted by Bsfw on August 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Fenrox 146
lots of posts about rules, irrelevant, all rules have clauses and crap to bend em, this is because the guy ATE THE SANDWICH. That's why he was fired, it had nothing to do with policy, it creeped out the NIMBY manager.
Posted by Fenrox on August 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Stop being lazy and make yourself a sandwich before work. It's not hard. Some of you with food stamps eat better than I do with middle-class income.
Posted by aqualinefire83 on August 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM · Report this
I was fired after 11 years with the company for the same reason. What an ego blow. The funny thing is that I was there for the rollout of sandwiches when the meeting with the district about policy on mark outs was that we were able to "surprise and delight" our customers with marked out items so they would come back and buy them at a later date. I understand the policy but a simple please don't do this would have been just as effective. I also had no corrective actions and had exceeds expectations reviews the whole time I worked for them. I also live on food stamps and hate myself for it. I was a barista, a shift supervisor, an assistant manager, and a store manager at various times. I get to pay lots of attention to my special needs son now that I don't work there anymore and I am in school full time but I will always have a tarnished record from more than a decade of missed holidays and crazy hours. It still makes me sad and it has been nearly a year.
Posted by Kaime on August 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM · Report this
I encourage employs to steal from my place, Woodyspuds, because we pride ourselves as well and able to adjust.
Posted by woodyspuds on August 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
I encourage employs to steal from my place, Woodyspuds, because we accept the responsibility and commitment to ourselves our employees and our customers to serve as a model of philanthropic entrepreneurism.
Posted by woodyspuds on August 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM · Report this
I once returned an unopened food item at Sam's and it was tossed into a bin; they won't sell perishable returned food items even if they have not been opened. I figured they must have huge amounts of this kind of food. I wanted to collect it and distribute it to places in need, like shelters, but they said they wouldn't give it to anyone because of health issues! I would have had to dumpster dive to get it...such a waste.
Posted by ChelseaGirl on August 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM · Report this
How about we fire Star Bucks for "stealing" food stamps from the US government to feed their underpaid workers? Workers need to use the power of the pocketbook and walk with their feet right out of such heartless businesses.
Posted by Yukon Kate on August 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Stealing garbage? Seriously? Can someone please steal mine so that I don't have to pay over $400 a year to our extortionist waste collection service in the rural area we live in? Starbucks should have been paying him extra to eat their garbage instead of firing him.
Posted by tazzle on August 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
poor guy, he should try olive garden , you get discounts on your food and when you eat at other darden restaurants, most managers will help out if you are hungry, and to work at an overpriced coffee place,who doesn't take care of their employees, and so little in tips ,who had there hand in the tip jar?better off without them
Posted by joan ferranti on August 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM · Report this
Yeah but its okay to take rifles, handguns and every other kind of weapon in their stores. So much for jobs, jobs, jobs and their little wristbands that you could buy for $5. So much for their tax dollars being kept overseas. I am done with Starbucks. They suck. And their sandwiches are crap anyway.
Posted by Conspiracysrus on August 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM · Report this
I'd like to interview this young man for an opening in my business. I'm expanding in the Pacific Northwest.
Posted by raForbes on August 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM · Report this
I'd like to offer this young man an interview. I'm expanding my business into the Pacific NW.
Posted by raForbes on August 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM · Report this
I'd like to get $15 per hour dang...and Starbucks should give everyone a shift meal for goodness sakes it just good business.
Posted by terrah on August 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Thanks Star "Bucks" .. I just "seperated" you as my coffee shop. And Im going to make sure I repost this at least 100 times and to everyone I know so they will see what their money is supporting .. I mean besides your profits.
Posted by sammyvelvet on August 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM · Report this
xtophr 160
@24... No, the trash referred to in the original article was the receptacle directly adjacent to the pastry case inside the store. Trash doesn't legally become abandoned materials until it is taken, in this instance, to the dumpster outside. I doubt that anyone would want to consume the contents of a nasty dumpster dive.
Posted by xtophr on August 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM · Report this
Let me just say, that this thread has given strength to my dwindling hard-tried tested faith in The Great American Experiment.

Barring a few exceptions, the comments here are incredibly intelligent, very well articulated, hysterical, incredible works of storytelling...

But most of all demonstrate an immense big heartedness, a wellspring of compassion...that is so beautiful to see.

As a small business owner who has struggled with hunger his whole life (27 years now), and who sometimes still goes a month or more without a full meal, just because he all of his resources are going into a business and something to serve his small community,

As someone who has dumpstered dived for years, A top of his class, valedictorian 4.o student who did volunteer work all through high school (still does), who turned down a full ride scholarship in preference to a dean's scholarship @ an equally great private college whose curriculum fit his needs better - who grew up with a dystopian wasteland Fiery- Inferno-Hell-hole-of-a-family the eldest of 6 kids, who used to beg and plead with his mother in order to get her to go to the dumpsters and who dived with his mother who was on meth/heroin (whichever was her drug of choice @ the time), in order to feed his starving baby brothers (who were 1 and 2 years old - and drank orange drank from bottles rather than milk because his mother and her drug dealer boyfriend traded her foodstamps for drug funding),

~Who has worked in numerous branches of the service industry (dishwashing, construction, participatory action research projects, as museum docent(s), art gallery curator, janitorial, etc, et al, et al), and dumpster dived across this great nation (I still do nearly every week), in Seattle, In Portland, in Chicago, Boston, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

Who has nearly gotten arrested by Trader Joe's in Boston for dumpster diving (I was a private college student at the time - a medically defined starvation case - Of their daily garbage disposal, Tj's in Brookline that night had probably 250 pounds of green grapes, and 2 pallets of their pre-packaged tasty "mandarin orange chicken" - which had an expiration day of 2 days before they were disposed of- which I estimated dispensed @ a pound for each person could feed upwards of 650 - 750 people !) -

-And that was only one part, of one day, at one store, in one neighborhood, of one city of 9 million people and how many thousands of places that dispense food -

-!!!-

Why are Americans Going Hungry?? There isn't any reason or logic to it. It is Madness.

when there was a pizza place nearby who purposefully left their dumpster unlocked with dozens of pizzas available to homeless and malnourished college students alike (a small franchise middle-of-the-road pizza pipeline- all the locations had a similar practice! - that WAS policy for them!) -

I haven't finished reading what you all have said, but I certainly will, and I just find it all so refreshing, encouraging and beautiful you care about this stranger, and the plight of hungry people.

Obviously, my story in no way compares to Mr. Loptmann's; but I am no stranger to summon all of one's powers to do the best one can do to survive a horrid situation, I am no stranger to starvation, chronic hunger and chronic under-employment. -

If the MO of Mr. Loptmann's management was to use "constructive dismissal" - why did they use the "theft breaking policy" as the final Reason to Fire Him??

In the heat of a needle-that-broke-the-camel's-back moment, perfectly good people who are supervisor's or middle management on up, or otherwise have power make poor decisions. We all make mistakes.

But why is Mr. Loptmann so hungry?? People who aren't hungry don't eat food from the "garbage." Eating from the garbage takes a lot of courage. It is an extremely humiliating and demeaning thing. Even if there wasn't one person in a 12 block radius, eating from the garbage can just feels so dehumanizing. A citizen who is gainfully employed should not go hungry.

"Constructive Dismissal" is atrocious; and Post WWII Planned Obsolescence is an American Branded Evil.

Irregardless, I am with you in problem solving how to feed hungry people. No one should go hungry, and even more so someone who is working for their living.

Thanks so much for keeping the discussion going. I am so grateful for all of your thoughts and musings.

Jus' Weighing in,

Frank L. Buttons
Washington State
More...
Posted by Frank L. Buttons on August 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM · Report this
P.S.

Not to drop an incendiary into the room.

But it would be neglectful of me not to mention that many, if not all of the comments weighing in against Mr. Loptmann dangerously resemble those of all of the persons I have known personally in the Analog World who have never faced the prospect of Chronic Hunger. Many of whom were once close friends and acquaintances of mine.

Although one who has not experienced chronic hunger first hand (a living hell that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) cannot truly understand what it is like -

This Discussion illustrates that there are many people in Our Great Country who have a HUGE HEART and INTELLIGENCE, in spite of never experiencing hunger personally.

Posted by Frank L. Buttons on August 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM · Report this
For this very reason of man's voluntary inhumanity to man please support an involuntary contribution to the worlds food needs.
Posted by kathy mitro http://mitrosnewsonline.blogspot.com/ on August 30, 2013 at 4:08 AM · Report this
It is for this reason of man's inhumanity to man that we must make food donations from large food establishments mandatory, not voluntary. No one should suffer from hunger when there is enough edible food such as this thrown away each day to feed every hungry man woman and child in the United States at no cost to anyone. Please support this mandatory contribution to ease much suffering.
Posted by kathy mitro http://mitrosnewsonline.blogspot.com/ on August 30, 2013 at 4:15 AM · Report this
Posted by kathy mitro http://mitrosnewsonline.blogspot.com/ on August 30, 2013 at 4:47 AM · Report this
You people are disgusting, rather seeing someone lose a job, make it harder for them to find another job simply for eating an "expired" sandwich. This corporation makes billions of dollars. They prefer to change the package of whole bean coffee to actually caring about human life.
And it's nice to see where HR is, instead of complying with ACTUAL issues in stores, like SMs and AMs being abusive towards workers. But money keeps talking, life keeps dropping.
Posted by dourque on August 30, 2013 at 6:42 AM · Report this
People walk into Starbucks all the time asking for coffee grounds. So it's okay to give entire bags of garbage to customers, but not to eat something that's still wrapped and is about to be thrown away?
Posted by HardPuncher on August 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM · Report this
I work for Starbucks and the thing is that it doesn't matter if people are like Coulson and hungry? It is all wrapped in plastic, people take it because its free food.But it's against Starbucks policy. He broke the rules.
Posted by Saunders on August 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Are you guys retarded?
First of all, you're completely believing every word.
Open your mind.
This article is majority written off of information "ACCORDING TO LOPTMANN."
a.k.a, the guy who got fired.
You don't think he made himself look like the victim?
In a later article, reporters have discovered that Loptmann has multiple violations issues that have been documented over the past year.
You honestly think that they would fire him for just a ONE-TIME slip in the trash?
It's false. I know many people who are employed by large corporate food industries and have done the same- Starbucks included. People either have been warned or not caught.

It is so clear that this article is written with a complete close-minded biased mentality - media desperate for a story.
In reality, it is this irresponsible worker who has violated many policies.

As a worker, you are hired because they trust you. They trust you to be responsible. They are a corporate company who cares about their customers and workers more than your average corporate company.

Anyway, my main point is that none of you know the entire story. Neither do I.
Don't make false accusations are assume you know that this newspaper is your average newspaper that writes articles without opinion. Newspaper article are meant to state fact. They may rearrange certain factors and therefore, indirectly support a side.
But not The Stranger. They are not like Wall Street Journal or New York Times. You don't pay to read this newspaper - it's free. This newspaper is filled with unprofessional remarks and opinions. It is fun and entertaining.

Read a real newspaper and confirm this biased-written story.

Posted by anonymous123456 on August 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Oh wow did that 4x4x4x4 sandwich have the 1,640mg of salt that the ham and NY chedder has? Next time, get one from a fast food joint, it will be less than the 68% of the days salt! Horrible
Posted by checkfood on August 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM · Report this
Oh it could be worse, she could eat the 4x4x4x4 ham and New York cheese with 1,640 mg of salt??? What the hell, that beats almost 40% of fast food. It is 68% of your daily safe intake. And did you hear, they are going to expand their food offerings, can't wait to see how they will outdo McFast food!
Posted by checkfood on August 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM · Report this
I emailed Starbucks in reference to this matter and I have not received a response back from them. It has been over a week. Guess who is not getting my money?????
Posted by Vondarae on September 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM · Report this
starbucks donates clean water or whatever the hell the specifics are to people in places without access to clean water through ETHOS..but they cant spare a freakin sandwich BOIUND FOR THE TRASH to a "partner." YES A PARTNER meaning we as employees are to be treated equally..BULLSHIT! a HUNGRY living on nothing partner. fucking stupid. we get the point you don't want to risk people marking stuff out just to eat it..but shouldn't that be a call on the managers hand of shift supervisor? or are we just not trusted enough..although you dump all kinds of other shit on us.
Posted by badbean! on September 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM · Report this
As someone who worked with Coulson and the manager in question I can tell you that Coulson was rude to both coworkers and customers and is someone I dreaded working with. The stealing of marked out food had to have been the final straw. Not taking expired food is outlined in the Partner Handbook so there is no way he could have not known.

As for the manager: I was having some money struggles while I still worked with her and I told her that I really needed hours and she went out of her way to help me find them. Talking about money troubles is hard but as soon as I did she helped me out.
Posted by Bgfjjgf on September 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM · Report this
It amazes me that so many of your comments are such a pile of entitled dog crap! Howard Schultz Was POOR for awhile as a kid and Hungry! That is why he does so much charity work and encourages partners to do the same- he developed the CUP fund to help partners in temporary need due to injury illness or catastrophe and a barista CAN get a second job and give a New Availability if they need to work and can not find a store that needs help or receive more hours at their store. Also, the reason why no one can eat the Breakfast Sandwiches or Perishable Food past date except pastries is that it may cause someone to become ill and Starbucks doesn't want that and even more so they don't want some entitled hungry free loader to SUE them because they allowed that same person to eat their Marked Put Past Date Food! That is the Bottom line!! People work the system and use the very laws set in place to protect the REAL victims and that makes it almost Impossible for Companies to 'help' without putting themselves in jeopardy. Stop filing BS lawsuits and Unemployment Claims and maybe this country can get back to helping each other out!! Starbucks does donate Pastries marked out that are considered 'safe' like day old bread to Alliance Against Family Violence and Homeless Shelters across the Globe!
Posted by Mgrsbux on September 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
@175, the sandwiches if you look at the packaging are good for much longer than the two days fridge time Starbucks gives them. Months, in fact, if refrigerated adequately. Not to mention they cost 30 cents to make and 61 cents for the store to order them. It is also considered "stealing" to have marked out pastries, though they're donated to organizations like schools or shelters if they aren't thrown out, which means they too have life to them. It has absolutely nothing to do with health. They call it theft, not personal endangerment.
There is a limit to the types of jobs employees can get on the side, nothing coffee related in the slightest, even if it's a breakfast place that serves black coffee.
That said, this guy was a shit employee and that's why he was fired.
Posted by cazzw on September 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM · Report this
I am 61, have worked in private companies in America for 45 years. I am old an tired an didnt find a way to save as the New World Order people think i should have. You will soon find two sets of people , the wealthy which makes up a small group an the rest of us. I am preparing to live under a bridge or homelesss shelter or were ever i can. I am a wealth of info on what is coming sn i can promise you it is going to be really really bad an a lot of good people will live very badly.
Posted by r. michael on September 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
I find it funny how this story can be manipulated into this poor guy was fired because he was hungry.bullshit. Anyone that has ever worked in the restaurant business knows that rules like this are set in place because too many people steal. One person starts making stuff of of stock and then companies report loses. Rules are rules. Don't like them? Then don't work at Starbuck. It's hilarious to think that rules are above you. Maybe at Starbucks, food cost isn't it isn't such a big deal because it's corporate America but if it were your company you would probably feel the same way. Like many of us who struggled in college, we got room mates, another job, or whatever. But I damn sure never went on food stamps and then complained. If this guy was in such good standing then this wouldn't have been an issue. But this is one sided and marketed to people that will immediately grab some picket signs and run screaming of such terrible injustices. This guy is fine. If everyone who is so offended and all ready making stereotypes, then I guess I will too. This guy is probably a stoner cheating well fare because he's too lazy to get off his ass and find another job. We are already paying too much money wellfare/food stamps and other programs for people that are lazy.
Posted by amechick on September 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
And... so many people are reporting that these sandwiches or pastries can go way past their expiration date. But who the fuck cares. You don't get to decide what another company does with it's product. Giving to the poor is not enough. Let's now feed every employee, and their families, and their friends. It never ends with people always thinking they are owed something. When you all become business owners then you can decide what you do with your overage. Until then shut up.
Posted by amechick on September 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM · Report this
go study!!!...you will not end in a crappy job in fast food
Posted by Pierre Bogado on September 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM · Report this
The employee was in the wrong. Period. I used to work for Starbucks, and I agreed to company policy - which includes not eating Starbucks food that I have not paid for, whether it has been thrown away or not. If you agree to policy, then you abide by policy - and if you don't, then you have no right to complain when you are fired.

Apart from that, it is not merely Starbucks being a stickler for rules. If anything is wrong with the food that the employee consumes from the trash, Starbucks could be sued or otherwise made to be liable for it. They need to cover themselves, just like everybody else.
Posted by ChaiGirl on September 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Just to put my few cents in:
1. When they say out dated food products , they mean a one day shelf life. Breakfast sandwiches have at least a week in them I'm guessing or more.
2.even thought starbucks employee get benifits like health care and stock , they work hard as hell to get them. Also there healthcare is too expensive on the wage that they pay you. (I guess they just don't unstand that most of the people they hire like in one bedroom apartments or studio apts and most have food stamps.also food stamps only gives you 200 dollars in and that's if your making like 500 month. So think about how much your parents spent on food in a month alone)
3. Also starbucks throws away or markout at least 40-50 products a night sometimes even up to a hundred. Its a joke they we have that some third world countries to live off of out markout. So think about how many starbucks locations there are just in the usa alone and everyone had to do there markouts of 50-100 items. Yeah, its totally possible.
Posted by spinach feta wrap on October 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM · Report this
It is not stealing if it has been thrown away ! That boss is a major jackass !
Posted by sourgrape http://yahoo on November 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM · Report this
How could anyone in their right mind think that someone is stealing a thrown away item ? That was just an excuse to fire someone probably for personal reasons. When something has been disposed of there cannot be any profit made from the item, therefore how could it be stolen ? Who ever made that up is wrong period !
Posted by floppers on November 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM · Report this
I hate it when food that is good to eat and wrapped up is thrown away, just like supermarkets that throw away edibles that are perfectly good. Greed, selfishness and undue concern about who gets what when why not let people eat ? So big deal, someone ate a Starbucks thrown away sandwich, good for them. That stupid boss should find out what it's like to be hungry. People have to eat, that's what food is for. It isn't stealing if it's an item that won't bring profit anyway.
Posted by sourgrape http://yahoo on November 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM · Report this
A frickin sausage sandwich costs like $3. They fired him for $3 "stolen " from them? Seriously? They chose to throw away that food. Once it's trash, anyone could take it.
Posted by bluenote on December 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM · Report this
There must be a strict policy in order to deter theft. People are like children in many cases, especially the types that work in such jobs. They need to be trained properly.
Posted by Shoot all thieves on December 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Something is not adding up here. In my store partners live on marked out food. We have a bin full of it in the freezer labeled "FREE FOOD!"

I have a feeling that something else was happening behind the scenes with this partner and this was the excuse used to resolve the situation.
Posted by Kurdt_Cobain on February 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this
They are everywhere…This is happening in Mobile, Alabama, but at the FOOD stamp OFFICE. Now, I am black and the Food Stamp employees (workers, supervisors and security guards) that I have seen are black and very, very rude at the food stamp office on Broad Street. I cannot go into details because I am going to write the Director in Montgomery Alabama about the issues that they are putting my daughter through. Got a complaint, look on your food stamp letter, get the director name and address off of it and address the matter to her or him. If all else fails contact the Governor. You can reach them both online through email after you look them up. She or he may be a just person. There are people you can talk to concerning your problems, but when ask, the Food Stamps employees will not tell you. However the Food Stamps Employees will give you a phone number knowing that no one will pick up the phone. I had a house fire. I lost my food, clothes and furniture in the house fire. The Food Stamps worker and her supervisor denied me food stamps. They said I waited to late after 10 days I was no longer eligible for food stamps. Get this, the tenth day fell on the weekend, which was the day I was told by a friend to go to the Food Stamp Office and applied on Monday. Now, Monday was the eleventh day and I really needed food. Thank God I am not on Food Stamps. Just think, how many more people are out there that are being bullied, by Food Stamp Employees.
Posted by Kidd on February 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM · Report this
I worked for Starbucks for 5.5 years as a manager. They are HANDS DOWN. ... The WORST COMPANY to work for. They pay the "partners " terrible and treat them ever worse. There is never enough staff on , and they work you to the brink of mental insanity. They call their employees "partners " that's bullshit ... partners are equals ... no one that works in the retail stores are equals to the idiots in Seattle.
They start out their employees at JUST min wage ... with maxium expectations.The place is run like a prison. They are a group of sadistic pricks. They way that they have cut the staffing and keep increasing the work load. How does it make you feel to know that the person who just made your $5.00 drink just cleaned up someones shit off of the bathroom wall of the stores restroom? Or that they were on their hands and knees scrubbing mold out of a floor drain , before restocking that lovely slice of $3.00 lemon loaf, of that they were just in the bushes picking up cigarett butts , because when the district manager comes he counts them , and flips out if there are more than five.
You see the ppl that are serving you are not just there to serve you , they are Starbucks bitches. Starbucks are masters of minipulation, and double standards and have reinvented the exploitation of the minimum wage worker. Basically Starbucks is a hibrid cross between Mcdonalds and WalMart, they are the child of the practices of theses two.
But never the less ppl will continue to go into these monster businesses and nake them richer and stronger. In the 50&60 The HOWARD SCHULTZ of the wotkd made 20 times more than their average employee, now they make 151 times more than the average emplyoee. There has to be a change made to theselarge companies that exploite workers , and that can only come from the working class ppl, through boycott and trade unions. Money is power, and if you take away their money you take away their power.
More...
Posted by eddieboy on March 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Starbucks was the only place of business that didn't offer free water to people (around the area of the two towers) on the day 9/11 happened during the chaos and aftermath. Look it up. Refuse to get Starbucks unless I absolutely have to for some odd reason.
Posted by Boycott Starbucks on March 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM · Report this