TomJohnsonJr 1
There was another good map Publicola put up today from Seattle Ethics & Elections, showing where donors to each campaign live. For McGinn and Murray both, the area from which the largest total donations came (28%) was...."Out of Seattle". Wacky.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on August 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 2
No surprise that Murray took the reactionary U District, I guess.
Posted by kk in seattle on August 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 3
@1) That, sir, is a pie chart, not a map.

It's also not true, exactly, that the largest chunk of donations came from outside Seattle. That suggests most donations came from outside the city if you're looking at a binary of (a) donations from inside Seattle or (b) donations from outside Seattle. That isn't what the SEEC pie chart depicts. The chart compares everything outside of Seattle to several individual neighborhoods in the city. It's not surprising that everything outside the city has a plurality of donations compared to city segments. And, for what it's worth, 28 percent from outside the city limits is pretty common. Not weird at all.
Posted by Dominic Holden on August 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 4
PIE CHAAAART! Thankyou. Still weird (or, more accurately, news) to me that it's the same percentage for both.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on August 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 5
@2) McGinn won hard in the U-District.
Posted by Dominic Holden on August 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM · Report this
ChefJoe 6
It could be just my eyes, but it seems like Harrell took the most votes in many of those diverse parts of town.
Posted by ChefJoe on August 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
Don't confuse them with facts, Dominic
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Bruce Harrell took Discovery Park!

On a more serious note: Did West Seattle voters really support the tunnel? Or did they support the Viaduct (like a plurality of the voters did)? I would guess that the only folks who heartily supported the tunnel were those who lived close to the viaduct (tunnel = less noise). I think West Seattle went for Murray because Murray campaigned there (as the Seattle Times reported) and because West Seattle residents are unhappy with the status quo. It is unfair to blame the mayor for the traffic mess that exists in West Seattle right now, but voters are often stupid and vote for an alternative, just because.
Posted by Ross on August 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
ChefJoe 9
43% supporting an elevated viaduct sort of "wins"... if you forget about the majority voting "no".

I've not been able to find a district breakdown from that election, but IIRC West Seattle was more in favor of the viaduct than the city at large.
Posted by ChefJoe on August 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM · Report this
JonnoN 10
I like that you have to zoom/scroll to even see SE Seattle. At least its not a PDF..
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on August 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM · Report this
I guess West Seattle didn't support McGinn because they actually DO want a Whole Foods.
Posted by WestSeven on August 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM · Report this
ChefJoe 12
On the plus side for McGinn, he reached either 45 or 50% support in his home district. I'm having trouble making out the map exactly.
Posted by ChefJoe on August 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 14
@13) I never described West Seattle that way. Reread the post.
Posted by Dominic Holden on August 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM · Report this
stonato 15
Wow. All of the City of Seattle purple or gold and I live in a gray area. The worst part is, that has always been the case.
Posted by stonato on August 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM · Report this
@9 That was a bullshit vote. You could vote "yes" for both, "no" for both or "yes" for one and "no" for the other. (As I recall the Stranger's suggestion was "no" and "hell no", which is how I voted.) Several people I know returned their ballots without voting for anything. The result of that "public vote" was a lot of money spent and no significant results whatsoever.
Posted by crone on August 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM · Report this