rob! 1
This is really cool stuff; thanks for reporting on it, Brendan.

Some of these kids will probably go on to build their own tiny homes like that 16-year-old kid did a couple of years ago. Great way to live during college to save a buttload of money and reduce your post-graduation indebtedness.

People who enjoy this kind of thing generally would like any of Lloyd Kahn's Shelter books, like this one and this one. I can get lost in them for hours.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on September 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM · Report this
pdonahue 2
These guys are fucking awesome! They are building a garden shed for the Judkins P-Patch next month, kids with power tools, what could be better than that?
Posted by pdonahue on September 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
@2
Pdonahue, so close! Kids with power tools actually comes in third or fourth. Dan Savage came up with the winning answer - Bisexual kids with power tools. 2nd place was submitted by Goldie - Tomatoes with power tools. We're still waiting to hear from Paul Constant, he's currently googling 'power tools' to figure what kind of answer to give. So a big round of applause to all who competed, a great way to end one of Slog's finest posts. Pics, text, nature, kids, cooperating, math, and yes, power tools. excellent indeed Brendan, thanks.
Posted by dnt trust me on September 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Most excellent! Thank you for letting us know about this, Brendan. It's an amazing and decidedly worthy endeavor, and we'll be pitching in to help with whatever we can. My wife and I learned a long time ago the value of building things with our own hands. It's good to see those skills being passed along!
Posted by FranFW on September 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
Anything we can do to encourage more young people to go into the trades. I fear that they may end up being the only middle-class jobs left before too long.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on September 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM · Report this
My heart is racing from the happiness I have in reading about this! I love the opportunities, I love who the opportunities are going to, I love the topics being discussed, I love the fact that it is all happening in a beautiful place, I love that the woodworking is so beautiful, I love that the teens can take their time and learn something that will be valuable for the rest of their lives, I love that the people who are teaching seem like genuinely kind people...okay, so maybe you could have made it sound much better than it is...but even if you did do that, it would still be one of the best gifts that I've read about anybody giving to anybody else, ever in my life. Thank you for letting all of us who didn't yet know, know about it!
Posted by lilysotoo on September 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM · Report this