dnt trust me 1
Did she recommend blindness at all? You know, the old saying about other senses being heightened.
Posted by dnt trust me on January 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
That is really cool.

This is the best thing I've read (seen!) all week!

I'm glad she's able to experience the world - in all its beauty AND all its ugliness - in this way.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Fascinating.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on January 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
After I heard about this story and posted a couple comments, I realized that I've been thinking more about how my surroundings look. It's as though this formerly blind person is helping other people see things as if for the first time.
Posted by Ryan Boudinot on January 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM · Report this
rob! 5
And a reminder that those of us who have had the gift of vision our whole lives are too often blind to the poverty, misery, waste, pollution, etc. all around us.

When was the last time any of us inquired as to the welfare of a poor person blocking our path?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 6
Brendan, I would be interested in asking the young woman about her experiences in the urban environment and its accessible features for a sighted and unsighted person, since she has the experience of both now.

Specifically, ADA curb ramps, traffic signals and pedestrian pushbuttons, and that sort of thing.

If it's possible and she's interested. If not that is okay.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM · Report this
@ 6. I think you'll be hearing more from/about her in the future, but that's a great question to include in the mix.
Posted by Brendan Kiley on January 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM · Report this
treacle 8
( (( <3 )) )
Posted by treacle on January 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM · Report this
This is seriously amazing. I think she can actually give us at least as much insight (so to speak) into the world of vision as we can give her, if not far more. If she hadn't mentioned it it would have never occurred to me that poverty is almost always LITERALLY invisible if you can't see.

Please do follow up with her Brendan, and can you pass along the sentiment that many of us would love to hear about her experience at length, whether that be in essay form, interview or whatever is most comfortable. Thanks!
Posted by Lynx on January 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM · Report this
deepeyes 10
If she's not writing a book (with exquisite photos, of course) about this experience, the world will be poorer for it. I can't wait to hear more.
Posted by deepeyes http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1351140610 on January 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 11
I would be fascinated to hear her thoughts on "beauty" - does she agree with what we label as traditional beauty, specifically related to people?
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on January 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 12
Reason I ask is I work with people that design ADA features for a living- ramps, pushbuttons, signals. They would like the opportunity to talk with someone with experience as a non-sighted person and the usability (or not) of those features.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM · Report this
zombie eyes 13
Very sweet.
Posted by zombie eyes on January 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 14
That was so worth it that I'm not at all resentful of being lured in by a headline that suggested it was a post about the former First Lady of Virginia.
Posted by Fred Casely on January 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM · Report this
@7--I hope that means you intend to write an article about why/how she was blind and how she got her sight back. It sounds fascinating!
Posted by crone on January 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM · Report this
I hope her story is factual. I have a neighbor who lost his sight at the age of 64. I talked to him about this "story" and he was reluctant to be happy for this person. The odds of regaining one's sight is quite slim, he commented. There have been many instances of some persons regaining partial vision but not many. I hope this story is factual, but it might be seed for others to appreciate their health. That original post could be a wake up notice for all of us to appreciate our vision.
Posted by longwayhome on January 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM · Report this
McBomber 17
I remember as a kid, my grandfather had his cataracts removed(?) He lived out in the oaken California foothills and I watched him silently gaze upon a brilliant summer sunset for a long time, suddenly recalling the colors of his youth. He didn't say anything, just smiled. I had forgotten about that until I read this. It's a bit of a reverse from this case, but it helped me respect my gift of sight. It's wonderful to read of this woman's new experience.
Posted by McBomber on January 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM · Report this