from the headline I thought this was about the new Arizona immigration law.
Posted by paulus on April 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM · Report this
diminished 2
i *love* it when dan baits people like that. he was all like "hey guys, come check out this link, it TOTALLY sounds like im going on another pitbull rant! you know you want to click it! and then fight like rabid dogs in the comments section for my enjoyment!" and then we did.
Posted by diminished on April 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM · Report this
elenchos 3
Only one man has the courage to speak out against the alligator fanciers.

Savage. Dan Fuckin' Savage.
Posted by elenchos on April 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM · Report this

BTW, all ignorant morons, alligators are not bred to be aggressive, they are trained to be aggressive. Just like any alligator can be. So open a fucking book before you open your ignorant mouth (or unleash your ignorant fingers on your keyboard).
Posted by alligators are harmless on April 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM · Report this
Anne in MA 5
Shrieking anecdotal evidence + race/sexuality baiting time!

OMG I have a pet alligator and HE IS THE SWEETEST THING EVER Dan you gator-hating fascist I hope you get your leg bit off in a swamp in Florida! Gawd that's just like saying that black people are more aggressive than everyone else! DAN YOUR HATRED OF GATORS IS JUST LIKE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT GAY PEOPLE SHOULDN'T GET MARRIED BECAUSE THEY ARE CHILD MOLESTERS! You hypocrite!

(I realize that I probably should have spelled it "hippocryt" or "heppocrit" or something.)
Posted by Anne in MA on April 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Vampireseal 6
I always wonder where people who buy alligators intend to put them later when they get larger. No one ever interviews amateur alligator owners and asks them. I suspect some of these people just aren't thinking that far in advanced.

Little 4-foot alligators usually aren't too problematic for a while if they can stay in their enclosure, but geez, they aren't going to stay cute little 3 and 4 foot babygators forever. My old college used to keep an alligator from time to time up until they got about 5 feet, and then they had to be released (since it was in South Carolina, they were indigenous reptiles, so no big deal). I still miss USC-Aiken's Wallygator--he was a cutie-pie. I'm sure he's out there in the swamps eating small deer and stray dogs even now.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with people keeping large dangerous animals, provided they actually know how to keep it and have the finances to do so (and super-reinforced enclosures and no children). Unfortunately, most people don't have the know-how, they just wishfully *think* they do.
Posted by Vampireseal on April 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM · Report this
@ 5:

Leave Dan alone!
Posted by kungfujew on April 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM · Report this
Anne in MA 8
@ 6 - Boy, are you on the wrong thread for reasoned discussion of "exotic"/dangerous/nontraditional pets (though, for the record, very well-put). This is for shrieking and Nazi comparisons.

Speaking of, @ 7 - I WILL LEAVE DAN ALONE WHEN HE LEAVES MY PRECIOUS CHOPPER ALONE! UR ALL SO IGNORANT ILL BET HE WANTS TO ROUND UP ALL THE GATORS AND PUT THEM DOWN WELL ILL HAVE YOU KNOW THATS WHAT HITLER WOULD DO DAN SAVAGE = HITLER!!!!11!1!eleven
Posted by Anne in MA on April 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM · Report this
Dingo 9
An alligator is not a breed, it's a species.
Posted by Dingo on April 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM · Report this
Mr. Savage there are no bad alligators only bad alligator owners. My Snappy is the gentlest soul in the universe SO FUCK YOU IF MY SNAPPY EATS YOUR FACE OFF NEXT WEEK ITS YOUR OWN FAULT FOR BEING A MORON! So educate yourself!
Posted by Joe Derpa Derp on April 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM · Report this
Fully half the murders in Seattle in 2008 and 2009 were committed by black males. Blacks of all ages and sexes make up only 8% of Seattle's population.
Posted by Racial Profiling makes PERFECT SENSE on May 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM · Report this
Lavode 12
I donated to fight Prop 2 in Florida, and asked Dan this question: "Is there a later scientific peer-reviewed study supporting the efficacy of breed bans that forms (in part or whole) the foundation of your opinion?"

As part of my preamble, I explained that I have searched online for such a study, but could not find anything. I could only find the CDC study of 2000, which actually states that there is no such evidence. I was hoping that there might be a later study I could read.

Dan's response was
"breed bans have worked in the UK, and they work well in Denver. i don't trust the studies you cite.

all the best,
dan"

Now, I am ecstatic that he did NOT simply tell me off. However, he didn't really answer the question, as he doesn't cite any study in the UK or Denver. So I am left with the conclusion that No, Dan Savage does not base his opinions of breed bans on any scientific evidence.

What I find interesting is that he "doesn't trust the studies [I] cite." I believe there was a study in the UK that also concluded that there is no supporting evidence of the efficacy of breed bans. But he doesn't trust scientific research? What does he trust? His gut?

I find that his response, while deservedly terse, spoke volumes. His opinions on breed bans are simply that: opinions. He is neither more nor less correct than the rest of us. In fact, his opinions can be said to be faith-based, since he chooses to discount evidence that does not agree with his ideas.
Posted by Lavode on May 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM · Report this
My alligator is a member of the family. He's the sweetest thing ever, and he's never bitten anybody or eaten any cats so far as I know. We are very careful to train him properly to control his "lunge-and-eat" seizures, which are a known genetic problem with his species, and we always keep him on-leash in public, with one of those twelve-foot retractable leashes. We used to take him into cafes with us, because he's a service animal, until the fascist coffee-shop on our street put up a "No Gators!" sign and we decided to stop patronizing it as a show of protest.
Posted by No Species Ban On Alligators on May 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM · Report this
balderdash 14
You REALLY need to follow the link before you go off on a rant next time, @12.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Delishuss 15
@11 Epic thread fail, troll.
Posted by Delishuss on May 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM · Report this
venomlash 16
Comparing alligators to pit bulls is a little odd, seeing as one has been domesticated for thousands of years and has a strong pack instinct and the other is a solitary, reptilian ambush predator.
Posted by venomlash on May 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM · Report this
zombie eyes 17
If you want my aligator you'll have to pry it from my cold-blooded dead hand.
Posted by zombie eyes on May 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM · Report this
@17:

Actually, it's more likely that they will pry your cold-blooded dead hand from your alligator, not the other way around.
Posted by kungfujew on May 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM · Report this
@ 8:

No, dumbass. YOU are Hitler. And a socialist, too.
Posted by kungfujew on May 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM · Report this
venomlash 20
@18: No, they'll pry his dead hand from his cold-blooded alligator.
We are homeotherms and alligators are poikilotherms.
Posted by venomlash on May 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM · Report this
@16: The important point to remember is that it's impossible to regulate ownership of dangerous creatures, which is why bans on keeping alligators as pets have proven so ineffective at stemming the tide of alligator maulings.
Posted by Captain Hook on May 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM · Report this
When I was searching for a new pet I began looking into reptiles. I thought about getting a chameleon or an iguana but those reptiles are for pussies. Being a pussy, myself, I decided I needed a badass reptile with a bad reputation so I opted for an alligator. Now everyone is afraid to fuck with me because I am a badass alligator owner! And if you are afraid of my alligator then fuck you!
Posted by Billy "Billy" Knutsfield on May 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM · Report this