It's been marvelous, but I've finally worn myself out, weepy and delighted. As a worker-bee it's been a marvel to watch them return to the surface one by one, and as an engineer's son I'm awestruck by the planning and execution of the rescue.

Good night.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM · Report this
Hawke 2
Yup, I'm watching on the Beeb.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on October 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM · Report this
raawr 3
YES. Glad it's earlier in my time zone than it is for you schmucks... Also, I wish I still knew Spanish.

This could've been the most "scientific" slog poll.
Posted by raawr on October 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM · Report this
kristinbell 4
4:08am and the 9th miner, Mario, the 63-year-old guy is out and doing okay!!! The capsule is still rockin'!
Posted by kristinbell http://kristinbell.org on October 13, 2010 at 4:10 AM · Report this
Wholesale Suppliers 5
At least ! I am unable to force myself ; turn off the TV set. I have read at Yahoo news that it would take almost 36 hours to lift the last man remaining, up. The order has been decided, I truly salute the man with last turn because situation may be more worst with every passing hour and he must be very brave to face it.
Posted by Wholesale Suppliers on October 13, 2010 at 4:37 AM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 6
Like getting off a 10-hour flight to Amsterdam, out of seat 41H.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on October 13, 2010 at 5:33 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 7
Um, no. Went to bed at 11:00 my time (10:00 Seattle time), pretty much right after they got the first guy out. Slept like a baby, too. Though this was the first thing I checked when I woke up.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on October 13, 2010 at 5:53 AM · Report this
scary tyler moore 8
the last man out is the one whose wife found out he had a mistress during his time underground. wifey will NOT be there to greet him when he is brought up. no wonder he's going last.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on October 13, 2010 at 6:42 AM · Report this
onion 9
yeah i stayed up pretty late too. it's amazing. it's so nice to be glued to the news for positive reasons. not some disaster.
Posted by onion on October 13, 2010 at 7:01 AM · Report this
Vince 10
I'm happy they escaped death but I feel there are bigger questions being ignored. Why do so many miners die? Why didn't this safe room already have an escape shaft? Surely a "safe room" is useless without an escape. And once again, despite hearing over and over that god saved them, it was science that rescued their asses.
Posted by Vince on October 13, 2010 at 7:11 AM · Report this
onion 11
anyone else got chi chi chi le le le los mineros de chile stuck in their heads?

ps
pet peeve here: engineering is not science. give the engineers the props plz.
Posted by onion on October 13, 2010 at 7:53 AM · Report this
stinkbug 12
"last one out" and "last rescued miner out" are two different things.
Posted by stinkbug on October 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM · Report this
I, too, stayed up way too late watching the live feed. It was/is incredible.
Posted by Peter F on October 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM · Report this
OuterCow 14
@11: Vince's bad, it's not like engineering is entirely based on science, or is essentially just applied scientific knowledge. I have to sacrifice at least two goats to get my level to work. Shame on you, Vince.
Posted by OuterCow on October 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM · Report this