Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 1
You should have more articles like the New York Times about how building codes and heavy government regulation averted disaster.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on March 13, 2011 at 6:54 AM · Report this
Vince 2
With all the large quakes and volcanoes recently on the eastern Pacific rim and in Haiti, I can't help wondering about us and what we might be in for in the near future. It feels like sooner rather than later.
Posted by Vince on March 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 3
I'm resigned to the fact that if we get the "big one", Chez Vel DuRay is undoubtedly toast, I-5 to the south will collapse for several miles, and we'll be living in the camper and detached garage.

But on the other hand it would mean lots of overtime! Since we can't get earthquake insurance anymore, that would come in handy.

In other words, que sera, sera.....
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM · Report this
I'm so grateful your friend survived and is able to be so incredibly useful, not just telling you/us of the experience but getting to work on the internet countering "mis-information and fear".

Think of Japan's generous response to Christchurch, sending not only a flood of donations to New Zealanders (even still, Sam F.? I love you.), but their expertly trained search-and-rescuers, who had only recently returned to Japan after working themselves to exhaustion in Christchurch since last month.
Posted by gloomy gus on March 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM · Report this
eclexia 5
Never fear, Japan. Slog will come to your rescue. Mudede and Goldy have been deputized as science reporters. They will fan the fear for you.
Posted by eclexia on March 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM · Report this
lostboy 6
What Gus @4 said. Thanks for posting this first-hand report.
Posted by lostboy http://plus.google.com/104883658551712008719 on March 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM · Report this
TVDinner 7
@3: You can't get earthquake insurance? Egads. Why not? Too high a risk?
Posted by TVDinner http:// on March 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM · Report this
beatgrl 8
I had to explain to my kid today that, in case of emergency, the Wii is NOT the item you would grab before rushing to safety.
Posted by beatgrl on March 13, 2011 at 8:09 PM · Report this
I have been searching desperately for news of what it's like on the ground in Tokyo, as I'm supposed to arrive there on April 1 and am considering postponing my trip (for research) until later in the year. I appreciate what you've written here and hope you keep posting. What about the rolling blackouts? What about food? Is everything now more or less normal in the city? Are the trains running on time? I know Tokyo pretty well so this is very important to me. Thanks for any info you can provide of daily life at this moment in time.
Posted by kabukiguy on March 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM · Report this
grab on the way out , keys , cash , med's , smokes , gun , ammo , lap top , wife . as long as the bullets hold out i can get the rest at will .
Posted by whatsbeckgottadowithit on March 14, 2011 at 2:31 AM · Report this