Dear Budweiser,

You're not fooling anybody.

Sincerely,
Dude who likes actual beer.
Posted by tired and true on August 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Vince 2
I would think a recession would increase beer sales. But beer is blue collar, so the high jobless numbers would say less money. I geuss junior would go without pampers before dad would go without beer.
Posted by Vince on August 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Vince 3
I "guess" I'm a touch dyslexic.
Posted by Vince on August 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Yeah, it's crappy beer, but I enjoy Budweiser on really hot day. It's like beer-flavored water. Kind of the Talking Rain of beers.
Posted by mint chocolate chip on August 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM · Report this
That shape on their logo is supposed to be a bow tie?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by NomadontheGo on August 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM · Report this
It may not be great beer, but five Anheuser-Busch products are in the top 10 beers by market share in the U.S.

So yeah, I have to think their marketing people know what they're doing.
Posted by bigyaz on August 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM · Report this
Dougsf 7
@4 - I'm the same way. Not always Budweiser, but there's a time and place for crappy beer, like Pacifico.
Posted by Dougsf on August 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM · Report this
MasMadness 8
We had some people over Saturday night after much drinking elsewhere. Somebody bought an 18 pack of the goddamn patriotic cans, things eventually got unplesant (as they tend to do at 4am) and they left almost all of them there, at our house. We have no idea what to do with them. I will run out of both money and real beer in a couple days and I don't plan on drinking them even then. You're looking at an actual Irishman who may refuse to drink the free beer in his own home. I can't even fathom how this is happening.
Posted by MasMadness on August 4, 2011 at 4:00 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 9
If you want (sort of) beer-colored water, try The Champagne of Beers. We had a crappy beer blind tasting after work a bunch of years ago, and Miller High Life beat MGD, Budweiser, Schmidt's, Olde English 800 Ice (it was the tail end of the ice beer fad, and the Q didn't have regular 800) and Coors, in that order IIRC.

I wouldn't say High Life was the best tasting, more like the least flawed. Fucking Coors tastes like rubber!
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on August 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 10
Yeah, really go for the bow-tie wearing youth demographic.

Rot in hell, macrobrews.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM · Report this
TVDinner 12
@8: Cheese and beer soup? By the gallonful?
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Bud wore a bow tie? I totally missed that!

Guess that'll cost me a few points off Icon IQ.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on August 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Aurora Erratic 14
Now it looks like a Campbell's Soup can.
Posted by Aurora Erratic http://www.finemesspottery.com on August 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 15
Making Bud taste like something other than watery battery acid would probably help more.
Posted by Original Andrew on August 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Campbell's Soup!
Posted by the shape on August 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 17
I gotta admit to being a total sucker for targeted beer marketing. Any new locally brewed pale/IPA featuring a dog or bike on the label (preferrably both!) immediately wins points in my heart and liver.
Posted by mikethehammer on August 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Geni 18
Beer comes in cans?
Posted by Geni on August 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM · Report this
Why do so many would-be beer snobs act like the problem with beers like Budweiser are the fact that they're Pilsners? That's basically what most of the above comments boil down to. If you like darker beers or more hoppy beers, great, but going around talking about how it's "watery" or something misses the point entirely. Judge it against other very-pale Pilsner-type beers or shut up.
Posted by g on August 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM · Report this
Fnarf 20
Budweiser is perfectly fine. It's a "lawnmower beer". On a boiling hot day you don't want a glass of warm ale. @9, Miller High Life is OK too. MGD is miserable piss and so is PBR.

I don't drink a lot of beer myself, but I have a friend who can tell all of these brands apart with one sip.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM · Report this
big dumb red dog 21
@8 Use them as slug bait.
Posted by big dumb red dog on August 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM · Report this
big dumb red dog 22
@19: I have compared Budweiser to German, Czech, and Austrian pilsner. It's still crap. Even the ITALIANS make better pilsner than that.
Posted by big dumb red dog on August 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 23
@19 I love Pilsner Urquell. Budweiser, sir, is no Pilsner Urquell.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on August 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM · Report this
I'm happy to say I haven't looked at a can of Bud since at least four designs ago!
Posted by ratzkywatzky on August 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM · Report this
@22 & 23, that's fine. I'm not much of a Budweiser guy myself. But people *do* often act like the only good beer is something like what most of the microbrews around here are: heavier and very hoppy. Which I love, but pointing out that something like Budweiser isn't that isn't really a criticism.
Posted by g on August 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 26
@12: "@8: Cheese and beer soup? By the gallonful?"

It's not good, even for that.

Agreed with the slugbait, that'll keep them from going entirely to waste.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM · Report this
Budweiser is a trademark only in North America. There is a Czech Budweiser, named for the Czech state of Budějovice, a.k.a. Budweis, which is a lager. I found a bottle in Iceland and was intrigued. It was not particularly superior to the Anheuser Busch's Bud.

There have been many disputes over the name, as it is a fairly general term in Europe.

Posted by Reg on August 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 28
When you're in Vegas and its 106 degrees, or Phoenix, or Florida, or North Carolina, or even, this summer, in North Dakota, for God's sake, you really need to take in a LOT of water with the alcohol that makes being in all of those places tolerable.

OF COURSE there's no charm in Budweiser in Seattle.

When you're sweating your way through a Texas Panhandle afternoon, well, there's a certain charm in being able to down 18 cans in an afternoon.

(My cousin who migrated South is regularly mocked in his town as the "brown bottle beer" guy.)
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on August 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM · Report this
watchout5 29
It's not an American owned company anymore. They have to do something to set them apart from the companies selling the exact same thing only better.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on August 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM · Report this