How big of a mess would your children have to make to induce you to reconsider this position? Hope they read Slog.
Posted by Don't you think he looks tired? on August 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Dougsf 2
Clever. I'm gonna guess 50-60 comments? What is the typical comment/page-view ratio?
Posted by Dougsf on August 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
Oh shit!! A Republican in the making!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM · Report this
TVDinner 4
From the man whose desk looks like this.

I think I'd rather be able to find shit, not have allergens piling up in my shit, and not run the risk of having vermin all up in my shit. No virtue in it, just clear thinking. Ahem, Charles.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM · Report this
sloegin 5
You'll never raise a good German that way.
Posted by sloegin on August 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM · Report this
lark 6
Charles,
Huh? Children shouldn't do housework? Hmm? I part with you on this one. I believe "chores" or "housework" disciplines a child benignly and helps instill a "work ethic". I believe I am better off having had my Mom or Dad direct me to "mow the lawn", "vacuum the carpet" or "scrub the toilet, bathtub and/or wash basin". I think it constructive.
Posted by lark on August 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 7
We all have to remember Charles had household servants to pick up after him as a child, he can't imagine putting his own toys away.
Posted by thatsnotright on August 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM · Report this
God, I really really hope Charles is being sarcastic here. If not, who the hell does he think should do it all? The mother?
Learning to maintain a household (cleaning, cooking, budgeting both money and time) are neccesary parts of a child's education.
Posted by been there and back again on August 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Fried Worms 9
meh. he's trolled better.
Posted by Fried Worms on August 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Hernandez 10
Judging from photos of your desk, I'm guessing you don't think anyone should do housework, ever.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on August 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Oh, Charles. Is it you or is it me? Have you stopped trying or have I just become jaded?
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on August 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM · Report this
OuterCow 12
As soon as your born they make you feel small,
By giving you no time instead of it all,
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all,
A working class hero is something to be,
A working class hero is something to be.
Posted by OuterCow on August 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Geni 13
You're right, of course. Have the servants do it, you silly woman! Heaven forfend your child should actually, I dunno, LEARN to do anything useful. After all, he'll have servants to do for him when he gets older, right?
Posted by Geni on August 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM · Report this
balderdash 14
Charles, you are the trollest.

It's not so much that I mind you trolling it up; it's that I can't believe you actually get paid for it.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on August 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Please don't have children.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM · Report this
This is some pretty lazy trolling.
Posted by ap0 on August 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM · Report this
femwanderluster 17
Mudede, I don't know if I should take you at your written word anymore.

Either you are always sarcastic and hyperbolic, in which case, nothing you write should ever be taken seriously; instead always with ironic grains of salt, forever sifting the sands of your words for their actual meaning OR you actually believe the crap you spew on SLOG OR you're keepin'on trollin'on for page-views.

I DARE you, Mudede, to write a few coherent sentences in which your meaning cannot be confused. We might find out you have very little to actually say, though...
Posted by femwanderluster on August 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Puty 18
I think this will be our Friday bar argument (bargument?). Wheee! Thanks Charles, you're doing important work.
Posted by Puty on August 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 19
He shouldn't have to pay transit fares either!
Posted by Gern Blanston on August 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Then you're a shitty dad Charles. God I hope this is just a joke.
Posted by Root on August 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM · Report this
Roadflare 21
This has to be the stupidist thing I've ever heard. I'm personally glad I my parents had me do chores. I learned to take care of myself and now can live as an independent human being that keeps her house clean. Shocking, I know! The parents shouldn't be the only ones responsible (and let's be honest, it would 70% be the wife). You clearly come from privilege.
Posted by Roadflare on August 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Oh come on Charles, surely you can do better than that? Such lazy, transparent trolling. You're grounded for a week young man, and on dish-duty for two!
Posted by Lynx on August 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Nonsense. These ashtrays aren't going to wipe themselves, after all.
Posted by gloomy gus on August 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM · Report this
nixor 24
I've lived with enough roommates who never had to lift a finger when they were growing up. all I can say is please teach your children how to take care of themselves.
Posted by nixor on August 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM · Report this
seandr 25
Charles hates Germans.
Posted by seandr on August 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Isn't Charles a communist? Doesn't communism rely on everyone pitching in and doing their share?

Or is teaching children to have a work ethic and personal pride part of the great capitalistic indoctrination system?
Posted by Cerne on August 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM · Report this
bigg 27
@9 I dunno, this one nabbed twenty seven comments so far. I'd say this trolling expedition worked better than some others.
Posted by bigg http://biggblah.blogspot.com/ on August 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 28
somehow, I think any kid who repeatedly threatens their mum they'll call the cops on them for "forced labour" is not being overly controlled.

Reminds me of that kid who was angry over plane delays because he was supposed to be in Florida getting a tan on his back.
Posted by doloresdaphne on August 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 29
The kid I was referring to here:

Posted by doloresdaphne on August 15, 2011 at 4:24 PM · Report this
The question that's been lurking at the back of my mind for so long has finally been answered. Charles is a comedian; I don't have to read his posts with more than skimming attention ever again. Excellent!
Posted by Calpete on August 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM · Report this
"Empty moralizing" used in this context would be that act of expounding upon morals that are ultimately empty of meaning.

I don't see how you can equate the verbs "forcing" and "moralizing". Or, am I missing something profound here?
Posted by Approaching 40 in LA on August 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 32
I've seen your office chuck, and just the photo almost made me puke. Worse than a rad midden, I cant imagine the smell must less the stench that emanated from your presumably filthy house. Or at home do you have your white wife clean up after you. Reparations for "500 years of oppression" and all that.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on August 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 33
Ok, so I'm pretty new to Charles Mudede, but I know he's a teacher, and I also notice everyone of his posts is accompanied by a barrage of posters picking on him, and getting as personal as possible....

This is a student - teacher dynamic, yes?
And Mr Mudede has lost control of the class, but has decided to stick around, and make an artform out of losing control of the class, yes?
Posted by doloresdaphne on August 16, 2011 at 6:19 AM · Report this
I hate cleaning too. Everything just gets dirty again.
Posted by natalie on August 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM · Report this
beelzebufo 35
My dog loves to fetch rocks. She dives into the water and comes back with the same one I threw. How can she do that without smelling my hand on it?
Posted by beelzebufo on August 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM · Report this