Phrase of the day: "squirrel sanctuary"!!
Posted by cracked on August 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM · Report this
rob! 2
Must... have... video!!
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on August 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM · Report this
TVDinner 3
Yeah, video or it didn't happen.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Chef Thunder 4
Rabies
Posted by Chef Thunder on August 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM · Report this
Opening image for the most strangely compelling HUMP! entry yet.
Posted by gloomy gus on August 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Agree. Video!!
Posted by cracked on August 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Soupytwist 7
That squirrel sanctuary is SO COOL. I knew someone who fostered a squirrel until it could be released there - it was the cutest thing ever.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on August 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM · Report this
OMGGGG squirrel sanctuary? Get in the car!!
Posted by six five on August 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 9
Mmm, squirrel. Tasty.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on August 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
billrm 10
Looks like a native Douglas Squirrel.
Posted by billrm on August 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
Bring it into the office! How about RIGHT NOW?
Posted by Gillian Anderson on August 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
nicholaus 12
Squirrel sanctuary in Redmond aka Marymoor Park!
Posted by nicholaus on August 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
DowntownTaylor 13
So cute!!! Nice squirrel, too.
Posted by DowntownTaylor http://www.digitaltaylor.com on August 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Vince 14
May the universe shower you with rewards.
Posted by Vince on August 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
merry 15
Baby Squirrel Squeeee!!

Do. Want. But then, so would my cats.... and not in the same way...

I echo Vince @ 14 - May the bluebird of karmic happiness roost above your door. :)
Posted by merry on August 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 16
Speaking of adorable: I heard that the baby squirrel endorsed Bobby Forch in the position 1 city council race.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on August 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Ratatoskr 17
D'aawwwww
Posted by Ratatoskr on August 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Cienna @16, the Legislature's baby squirrel is Joe Fitzgibbon, who told Publicola this morning,
Mostly, Fitzgibbon stressed Godden’s “out-front leadership on women’s issues and paid sick leave,” which Fitzgibbon framed as a feminist issue, saying he liked having “a female voice on the council.”

(We have duly noted Fitzgibbon’s feminist leanings in the past.)

Fitzgibbon, who is 24, also flipped the age issue on its head. “People give me crap for being young and give her crap for being old … having someone who is late in life adds value to the council.” (Godden will be 80 in October.)

As for Godden’s initial plan to skimp on transit money—she advocated a $40 vehicle license fee as opposed to the $60 and $80 proposals which both came with far more transit money—Fitzgibbon, a huge transit advocate, said “She voted the right way in the end.
Thus spake Joe, who should have an eyelash-batting contest with the dear fellow in the picture above.

Posted by gloomy gus on August 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
Rabies @4 ftw
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 20
@18 ... um, I think the baby squirrel bit him.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM · Report this
mikethehammer 21
Was it not the great George Costanza who once necessitated the ordering of a special supply of "tiny instruments" to his vets office in order to operate on an injured squirell? If only they'd had access to the sanctuary!
Posted by mikethehammer on August 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM · Report this
MichaelPgh 22
Aww, very cute. Good for you.
Posted by MichaelPgh http://www.facebook.com/michael.west.pgh on August 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 23
(1) Unpaid Intern is adorable. I'd volunteer to rescue him any day. Do you guys hire your interns based on looks?

(2) Fuck the squirrel. They are an invasive species not native to the Pacific NW. They are a parasite on the NW environment.

(3) A squirrel sanctuary? Seriously? You gotta be fucking kidding me! What, did squirrels get added to the endangered species list when I wasn't looking? They are rats with puffy tails. They should all be rounded up and gassed (the squirrels, not the intern).
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM · Report this
For chrissakes! Once again, the frigging animal/pet gets all the frigging comments.

Squirrels make great pets, though, I had them for pets when a poor youngster, along with dogs and the occasional feral cat.

Outstandingly intelligent critters, and preferable to pit bulls, snakes and brown bears and grizzlies.
Posted by sgt_doom on August 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM · Report this
blip 25
@23 Most people like squirrels.
Posted by blip on August 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
@23 Most people hire interns based on looks
Posted by bpinsea on August 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM · Report this
I'd dress up in a squirrel costume to be nursed by him
Posted by hifiandrew on August 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Roma 28
Where's the baby moose?
Posted by Roma on August 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Packeteer 29
@15 A Squirrel would probably beat your cats up. I used to have a pet squirrel and they are definitely wild animals. They have a surprising amount of strength and speed for their size. You don't want one mad at you. Their claws are as sharp as a cat but they can't retract them.
Posted by Packeteer on August 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Can we have a daily update of Hot Unpaid Intern with a new adorable baby animal? I would appreciate it a great deal.
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on August 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
I'm with @30!
Posted by jhops on August 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 32
@23 fucking squirrels is illegal in WA. Horses too.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 33
@27 they have some flying squirrel costumes on sale at PAX right now, next to the Giant 12 sided Cthulhu Dice
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM · Report this
@ 23 is right, rodents with fluffy tails. sure their cute, some people find rats cute too and find that rats make great pets.....haven't seen a rat sanctuary.. why all the rat discrimination?

@ 25-most people are stupid. just sayin......
Posted by kmac on August 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Mrs Jarvie 35
Plague.
Posted by Mrs Jarvie on August 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Irena 36
@23, until you can prove that squirrels cause more damage to the environment than cats or dogs, I am on the side of the squirrel sanctuary. (Although just barely. I'm thisclose to arguing for a mass cull of songbird-killing outdoor cats.)

That said, baby animals are a test of our humanity. And guys who love baby animals are sexy, full stop.
Posted by Irena on August 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM · Report this
blip 37
@34 Probably because rats make great pets.
Posted by blip on August 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM · Report this
My aunt fostered a squirrel once. It was an adorable thing and seemed to remember her even after she released it back into the wild of her back yard (no squirrel sanctuaries then). At least it would come right up to her and take food out of her hand, which the other squirrels would do.

Unpaid intern had better be careful though. Squirrels frighten easily and their instinct is to run up what ever in standing near them - even people. Unfortunately squirrels don't know they are supposed to climb up the OUTSIDES of pants. And once on the insides of your pants they tend to panic - I'm talking personal experience here. And, as @29 said - sharp claws which they can not retract. Owwie.

Posted by Schweighsr on August 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM · Report this
omg! I used "their" instead of "they're"....and I fucking hate that! must be friday....and yeah @ 37, I've had many a rat-loving friend who say the same thing. but then wouldn't squirrels also make great pets? why don't people keep squirrels as pets? or do they and I just don't know about it?
Posted by kmac on August 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM · Report this
I don't care about the squirrel but the boy that squirrel is on is so fucking cute!!!! :) are you gay/bi? if not, bi-curious? single? :)
Posted by apres_moi on August 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM · Report this
I hate squirrels. Two have tried to make a den out of the eaves of my roof. The first one was successful until I built over their hole and secured it. I woke up one Saturday morning hung over to the sound of the fucking thing screaming and clawing it's way back inside for 3 hours. It was unsuccessful but left me with a hatred of squirrels in residential areas. The scream was that of a banshee and fucking frightening.
Posted by apres_moi on August 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM · Report this
In case you're wondering, the sound at the end of this video was what I woke up to. it was just outside my room making that fucking god awful sound - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVqbhQuO…
Posted by apres_moi on August 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM · Report this
merry 43
@ 29 - Yeah, but... I don't think this cute little baby would be any match for my two grown cats...

Or the squirrel, either... insert eyebrow wiggle here
Posted by merry on August 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM · Report this
The squirrel is definitely cute but technically it is illegal to foster it because it is "wildlife." Plus it'll get into mischief (or hurt) if it thinks people are its friends -- it's healthier for them to be afraid of people. Although try telling that to the UW squirrels...

Take it to PAWS wildlife shelter in Lynnwood! But call first to make sure they take them. (Or to just ask for advice.)

I'm a spoil-sport I know, but it's better for everyone involved.
Posted by BenY on August 26, 2011 at 10:07 PM · Report this
I can testify that the entire Holmes family is absolutely NUTS when it comes to squirrels and they have nursed at least a couple back to health.
Posted by southend gal on August 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM · Report this
That little guy is certainly cute, but I do have to agree that squirrels can be a real nuisance. For example, we water our potted plants on our front steps once a day, and the damp dirt therefore stays cooler than the air temperature. Because of this, we have a squirrel who likes to dig himself a trench and lounge, making a complete mess and killing at least two sets of flowers so far. If people didn't feel the need to feed the squirrels, they'd probably be a lot more afraid of people and less inclined to dig in the pots near our heavily-trafficked front door. Heck, one time I caught him, and nearly had to TOUCH him to get him out of the pot (I yelled and stomped up to him until I was less than a foot from the pot before he finally ran).
Posted by Ms. D on August 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM · Report this