Aug 20, 2014
commented on The Best Advertisement for Iceland Ever Made
"By its very nature, this film should be bad...Yet I find myself writing a positive review for Land Ho! Why? Because of its two stars: Earl Lynn Nelson...and Paul Eenhoorn, an Australian-born local actor who is a nominee for the 2014 Stranger Genius Award in film."
Yep, we're in Seattle. Now if only someone would write about Shabazz Palaces making the best album of the year. Oh wait...
Jun 4, 2014
commented on How Amazon Buys Seattle's Silence
The literary world has a tendency to be self-pitying, entrenched in a "I wish more people would put down their iPhones and read a poem" mentality (see Jonathon Franzen, et al). If media forms, or business models, such as independent book stores, are becoming less and less relevant to contemporary society, maybe it's time to look in the mirror and figure out how to become more relevant.
Jan 23, 2014
commented on How Privilege Protects You
1. this article should never have been run
2. the whole "it's about the science not about the scientist" agreement went out the window once the "science" and the "scientist" variables of the equation turned out to equal 0
3. people should never be in a situation where they feel compelled to take their own lives
4. ultimately, the responsibility the decision to continue living or to commit suicide rests in the individual
5. simmons should have never let this story run
6. simmons has been a consistent advocate for lgbt rights (his jason collins interview was not the first time he has broached the subject)
7. i once worked a job where my supervisor was transgender. it was like many labor/management relationships. sometimes i was a slacker and caught (deserved) shit, sometimes she was being a douchebag supervisor, sometimes she was really cool to me, sometimes i worked harder than my minimum wage warranted and she appreciated it
8. do i think the fact that she identified as a female, had her penis surgically transformed into a vagina, and takes female hormones daily in order to actuate her identity, weird? yes
9. were her decisions any of my fucking business. no
Jan 4, 2014
commented on Sound Check
3, I accept the Mojave Desert as alternative universe. Also, we have bright green rattle snakes.