Approaching 40 in LA
report this user
Mar 22, 2013 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Savage Love.
@95: I agree, but the stories you hear have the hospital wrong (Cedars Sinai versus UCLA Med) and came out much later on. My coworker's mom WAS a nurse in the ER (I had known that for several months before the Richard Gere story ever came up) and she had told her son about it on a Friday night. The guy related it to a group of twenty on a Saturday night, and it came out on the radio a couple days later.

Again, inasmuch as his mom was a nurse in the ER four blocks away and used to pick him up from work, I believe it. Could be totally made up, but I had absolutely never heard such a thing before that. Honestly, in early 1990 (before Pretty Woman), who was thinking about Richard Gere? The last memorable thing he had done was An Officer and a Gentleman seven or eight years earlier.
Mar 21, 2013 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Savage Love.
It was early 1990 that a guy who I worked with (in college, at UCLA) told us how Richard Gere had been admitted to the UCLA Medical Center with a gerbil up his ass. The guy's mother was a staff nurse in the ER and told him about the incident.

I just looked at him quizzically, as I had never heard of such a thing. Then, three days later, the report came out in the media. As much as the guy's mother was a nurse in the ER at UCLA (she was), I believe the story.

As far as I know, Richard Gere had never had such a rumor before that. Only those who are significantly older than myself (42) could know the answer to that.
Jan 27, 2013 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Slog Bible Study: Revelation 13:10.
That's why my character uses spells, duh.
Jan 21, 2013 Approaching 40 in LA commented on On "Real" Nerds.
The science correspondent on Huff Post is a fake nerd girl. She's irritating and needs to go. Perhaps replace her with a cast member from The Big Bang Theory.
Jan 21, 2013 Approaching 40 in LA commented on The Seattle Times Makes the Case for Denying Middle-Class Children Access to an Affordable College Education.
Anyone who is willing to pay $17,200 for one year's tuition at a public university needs to have his head examined. At such a university, only 5-10% of the money you are paying actually goes towards undergraduate education (i.e. professors' salaries, building and maintenance costs, administration costs, and so on). The other 90% or so goes directly towards subsidizing the rest of the university's programs and activities.

On the other hand, Universities such as SUNY and CSU are a good deal.

Go to junior college and transfer, people.
Dec 12, 2012 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Savage Love.
Makes me think about the time when I was an undergrad at UCLA (about 1990 or 1991, if I remember correctly) and a guy I worked with informed me that his mom had admitted a certain celebrity into the hospital the night before. Something about rectal gerbils, if I remember correctly.

You know a story is true when the rumor comes out several days after being told the same.
Oct 29, 2012 Approaching 40 in LA commented on The Scariest Movie You'll See This Halloween Doesn't Feature Monsters or Serial Killers. It's About Australians..
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a lousy book and a worse movie.
Oct 19, 2012 Approaching 40 in LA commented on President Obama Diagnoses Mitt Romney with a Case of "Romnesia".
Why didn't he use such a tactic during the first debate?
Oct 17, 2012 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Prudie and I Both Agree On This.
The worst thing is that he'll be forking over 18 years of child support for a kid that he never will have a relationship with. What an idiot.
Oct 17, 2012 Approaching 40 in LA commented on Educators Lining Up to Oppose Initiative 1240, Charter Schools.
You are absolutely correct in stating that there is little to no regulation, or accountability, of California charter schools. Typical for the state, LAUSD's school board members have been giving away schools to charter groups for years, at a fire sale rate...and they have yet to hold a single charter accountable for anything.

It's perverse. Board members are beholden to charter groups because those organizations are the most organized and politically active (read: will get board members re-elected), and this is creating a new level of dysfunction in an already dysfunctional system.

All that stands in the way of your districts' board members from doing the same thing is the continued failure of your electorate to vote for measures like I-1240. Good luck next month.