A place for Canadians.

Aug 23, 2011 prurq commented on NYT: Bisexual Men Exist!.
About my #23 comment: I do understand that the new study arrive at its positive conclusion by using more stringent admission criterion. But that's no reason to gloss over the complexity of the result of the older studies to fit preconceptions. The results so far are that bi guys can have bisexual arousal patterns, but can also have homosexual or heterosexual arousal patterns. All three are possible, while Mr. Savage gave the impression of being only two possibility in his recent writings. While the recent result is nice, since "hetero-kidding-themselves-about-being-bi" is a weird category, maybe, just maybe the whole story is more complex.
Aug 23, 2011 prurq commented on NYT: Bisexual Men Exist!.
Mr Savage, we are all grateful and all for you to have published the study on your website. That said, here,s what you say in your last comment:
"More than one study found that while guys who self-identified as bi might claim to be aroused by erotic images of both gay and straight sex, their dicks told different stories. Bi guys in labs told researchers that they were equally aroused while they watched gay and straight porn but it was gay porn—and only gay porn—that made their dicks hard."

That's in 2011, commenting the previous studies. The oldest one agree with that description, but the two others (Cerny and Janssen, and most importantly the Bailey one) don't. Here's what you said in 2005 about the 2005 Bailey study:
"In English: 75 percent of the bi guys only got aroused watching boys; the other 25 percent of the bi guys only got aroused watching girls."
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Savag…

Why the change in description ? Is it because heterosexual arousal for bisexual doesn't fit with the gay-kidding-themselves cliché ? Or do you file these 25% under "confused" ?

It at least suggest that the subject is a little bit more complicated than what your description make it sound.
More...
Aug 16, 2011 prurq commented on Case Closed: Bisexual Men Exist!.
Thanks Mr. Savage. You did the right thing. And it will help a lot of people. There was a risk that such a study would not get the same attention as one that confirms stereotype (like the 2005 Bailey study commented in the New York Times). You are helping avoiding that, and for that, everyone should be grateful (except the biphobic).
Jul 29, 2011 prurq commented on Bisexuals.
The paper mentionned above is in Biological Psychology, already available online as uncorrected proof but accepted paper.
Jul 29, 2011 prurq commented on Bisexuals.
News! News!

Sexual arousal patterns of bisexual men revisited
In press as of July 29th 2011
A.M. Rosenthal, D. Sylva, A. Safron and J.M. Bailey

They say:
"We examined sexual arousal patterns of highly selected bisexual men. • On average, they had bisexual subjective and genital sexual arousal patterns"

Let's see if this paper gets as much publicity as the infamous 2005 one (publicized by the even more infamous Times' Article),with the same amount of critical distance in the mainstream (i.e., none). Then we will know if bisexual erasure is real.
Jul 29, 2011 prurq joined My Stranger Face
Jul 29, 2011 prurq commented on Bisexuals.
NEWS ! NEWS !
Sexual arousal patterns of bisexual men revisited
Biological Psychology
Article in Press,
A.M. Rosenthal, D. Sylva, A. Safron and J.M. Bailey

"We examined sexual arousal patterns of highly selected bisexual men. • On average, they had bisexual subjective and genital sexual arousal patterns."

Let's see if this study has as much attention as the 2005 Rieger et al's study... Then we will see if there is bisexual erasure or not.
 
 

Want great deals and a chance to win tickets to the best shows in Seattle? Join The Stranger Presents email list!


All contents © Index Newspapers, LLC
1535 11th Ave (Third Floor), Seattle, WA 98122
Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Takedown Policy