Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Don't Hate the Eggers, Hate the Game

Posted by on Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

The Awl's Maria Bustillos makes a wonderful case that Dave Eggers is like a latter-day Wyndham Lewis: Both men are extremely talented, and both men are extremely hated.

...I’ve made a table of Google searches using the phrase “I hate _________,” and put in a lot of divisive-seeming haute-literary names.

Mary Karr: 0
Elizabeth Wurtzel: 89
Zadie Smith: 102
Jonathan Safran Foer: 120
Rick Moody: 374
David Sedaris: 774
Dave Eggers: 3880

Besides the flashy use of Google, Bustillos makes a fine case against Eggers-hating. You should read it.

Dougsf 1
I imagine the results of such a search are proportional to your exposure, regardless of anything else.
Posted by Dougsf on March 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM · Report this
I got 507 results for "I hate Cormac McCarthy."
Posted by mint chocolate chip on March 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 3
I get what she's saying, but she didn't really cover my main reason for hating Eggers. When your first work is a memoir, we have a chance to get to know your personality. I admit I should reread the book (I've changed a lot in a decade), but at the time, I couldn't stand how arrogant and manipulative he seemed. In a non-memoir, I can dislike the protagonist without changing my perception of the author, but not in a memoir.

That said, I'm (hopefully) a more gracious person than I was a decade ago. Maybe I'd feel differently about the book now. I should reserve it at my local library.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on March 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Chuck Palahniuk wipes the floor with Eggers at 7,100 results.
Posted by mint chocolate chip on March 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
Pfft. "I hate Shakespeare" -- 190,000 hits.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM · Report this
That new pizza from Dominoes?

2 mediums on special?

IT STILL SUCK!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM · Report this
elenchos 7
"I love Dave Eggers" 28,200
Posted by elenchos on March 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 9
Dave Eggers seems like a very enthusiastic, altruistic, and maybe even nice man. I still loathe his writing.
Posted by keshmeshi on March 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 10
hahaha @5 awesome
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on March 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM · Report this
"I hate Dan Savage" 1,300

"I hate David Foster Wallace" 314

"I hate Arthur Conan Doyle" 5

This is kind of fun. But yeah, Eggers sucks.
Posted by minderbender on March 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM · Report this
gember 12
I read a fair amount of David Eggers - the stuff comes pouring into my house like Hogwarts invitations until I read it. I don't hate him, but he can be myopically San Franciscan, too earnest and chipper and pleased with himself. I like the periodicals he's begun, I don't love him.
Posted by gember on March 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM · Report this
@7, David Sedaris, who came in second with 774 hits on the hate? Well, on the love, he came in with 219,000 hits. So, when it comes to ratios, Eggers doesn't look very good at all.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM · Report this
pragmatic 14
The "I Hate Dave Eggers" crowd is only so large because he is still alive, and they are largely affleuent (intellectually or financially so) white people (few others know who he is) and have envious fantasies of their parents succumbing to tradgedy so they could achieve fame, despite their lack of creativity and talent.
Posted by pragmatic on March 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM · Report this
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,530 for "i hate cory doctorow". (0.44 seconds)
Posted by timclark on March 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM · Report this
Fnarf 16
Sadly, "I hate Fnarf" only garners one measly hit, and even that one follows on with "and he's right on every single one if his posts". I would have thought Slog commenting would be a sure route to infamy.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Christampa 17
Nobody could hate you when you're always wearing that adorable little cowboy hat, Fnarf.
Posted by Christampa on March 5, 2010 at 4:51 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 18
Sherman Alexie pre-empted this from happening to him, by writing his essay, "I Hated Tonto-Still Do" which negates his search results...

Nicely played, Mr Alexie...nicely played.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on March 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM · Report this
ly_yng 19
1,520 for "I hate Chuck Klosterman"

That was the first name that came to mind for me. Chuck Palahniuk was a good call.
Posted by ly_yng on March 5, 2010 at 11:04 AM · Report this