Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lead Pencil Studio's Border

Posted by on Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM

It's on the US-Canadian border; it's called Negative Space...

IMG_billboard20110410_171327.jpg

It's by Annie Han and Daniel Mihalyo (Lead Pencil Studio), two of my three guests at last week's reading party in the Fireside Room at the Sorrento Hotel (the third guest was, of course, Cary Moon). Negative Space, which I saw with my own eyes three hours ago, has transformed the border officials into art critics. "It represents the opposite of a billboard," explained the border officer after checking my documents, and before I asked him if I could photograph the work ("Yes, but don't stop moving. Take the picture while moving slowly"). Lovely.

Canuck 1
Which border guard said that, the US or Canadian? It's a beautiful piece.
Posted by Canuck on April 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM · Report this
Charles Mudede 2
US!
Posted by Charles Mudede on April 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Canuck 3
@2 Well, I'm suitably impressed! I'd love to see it covered in frost...maybe not in the right part of the world for that, though.
Posted by Canuck on April 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM · Report this
venomlash 4
Wasn't this on SLOG a few months ago?
Sort of.
Posted by venomlash on April 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM · Report this
I like it.
Posted by Mark Price on April 10, 2011 at 11:20 PM · Report this
no8do 6
I just saw this a few hours ago!
Posted by no8do on April 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM · Report this
Charles, I'm writing a piece on this. I visited it a few weeks ago and the officials were a lot less friendly about it. I'll include this perspective, too.
Posted by Jen Graves on April 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM · Report this