Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Keith Olbermann, Karl Rove and Dan Savage Walk Into a Broadway Theater...

Posted by on Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM

karlrovebookofmormon.jpg

Sounds like a joke—maybe a joke Sloggers might wanna write—but it actually happened at tonight's performance of Book of Mormon. There's Karl, slithering in the door. I had way better seats than Karl, Keith had way better seats than me. Unfortunately the audience didn't boo Karl like they booed Condi back the in the day.

Oh, and: Book of Mormon exceeds the hype. It's a-fucking-mazing. Hilarious, smart, hilarious, entertaining. Go, go, go.

despicable me 1
It sounds great, I would love to see it someday.

Have a wonderful Pride Parade tomorrow. Did you see Westboro Baptist will be there in all their bioted, hateful, ungloriousness?

Posted by despicable me on June 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM · Report this
despicable me 2
bigoted, duh
Posted by despicable me on June 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM · Report this
raindrop 3
Booing is rude.
Posted by raindrop on June 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM · Report this
venomlash 4
@3: Well excuse me if you've got your royal panties in a twist, Mr. Delicate Sensibilities.
Posted by venomlash on June 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM · Report this
balderdash 5
Karl Rove is ruder.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on June 25, 2011 at 11:13 PM · Report this
@3, booing is only rude if you're doing it to performers. It's totally appropriate to boo people who lied to millions to gain support for a pointless war which killed hundreds of thousands.
Posted by LJM on June 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM · Report this
SecretBYUBottomBoy 7
I can't wait to see the BofM. how far out are they sold out now?
Posted by SecretBYUBottomBoy on June 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM · Report this
John M 8
I find the idea that one could bump into Karl Rove just going about your daily life as a decent human being deeply unsettling.

It feels like a misfortune that should only be the result of poor life choices.
Posted by John M on June 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM · Report this
thecheesegirl 9
I agree with @8. Have you recently kicked a puppy or something, Dan? Left a 9% tip? Forgotten to floss?
Posted by thecheesegirl on June 26, 2011 at 2:32 AM · Report this
My brother and I passed you and Terry walking down 45th yesterday eve. So excited you guys are grand marshals this year!
Posted by LimeLemminkäinen on June 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM · Report this
Keith Olbermann, Karl Rove and Dan Savage Walk Into a Broadway Theater...

Rove, being a Republican, heads to the men's room where he takes up a wide stance.

Keith takes up a post in the lobby where he can scan the crowd for the worst person in the world.

While Dan enjoys the show.
Posted by PaulBarwick on June 26, 2011 at 7:54 AM · Report this
kevomatic 12
You're in the same room as Karl Rove.

Hasa diga eebowai.
Posted by kevomatic on June 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM · Report this
@6 - that war being the one Dan enthusiastically supported and sought to generate support for...?
Posted by myr on June 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM · Report this
raindrop 14
@13: As did Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and a majority of Congress and the United Nations. If you think that politics means that you can never change your mind, you are being unrealistic and not contributing any useful commentary.
Posted by raindrop on June 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM · Report this
#14 - Yes, the vast majority of Democrats revealed themselves to be the spineless, craven shills we all knew they were. But the United Nations? Explain, please.
Posted by catsnbanjos on June 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Vince 16
...and Rove says to Olbermann "I hear Santorum will be here." And Dan chimes in "Ooh, who's ass is getting fucked?"
Posted by Vince on June 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM · Report this
raindrop 17
@15: Well, in hindsight I think it’s safe to say that UN Resolution 1441 would not have passed the Security Council in a unanimous vote, don’t you?
Posted by raindrop on June 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM · Report this
@13, Dan didn't make shit up to convince people to support the war. Dan merely made the mistake of believing the government when it said we had to go to war. Not a good comparison.
Posted by LJM on June 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM · Report this
Ha! The Great White Way: where pundits cross paths with their prey, three months after opening night.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM · Report this
@14 and 6 did contribute something useful? I don't see the difference.

@18 - so credulousness is fine? That's funny, The Stranger spends a fair bit of energy attacking other people for credulousness - and that's what got us into that war - the credulousness of the masses who believed the lies without subjecting them to reasonable critical analysis, and in particular the "left" media who bought in in a very mindless way and did a fair bit of cheerleading. I think it's very fair to compare.

There was (albeit not as much) information out there at the time of the run up to the war - ready and available - that exposed the lies and exagerration - but people ignored it for a number of reasons.

I don't know what Dan's reasons were (probably well intended if credulous and poorly thought out) but I think it's fair to respond to 6's comment with my take on it, and it adds nor more (or less) than other comments.
Posted by myr on June 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM · Report this
@14 - with respect to changing your mind, it is of course a good thing, and a number of the people you listed also did that. they all deserve continued criticism and scrutiny since it's clear their judgment (or lack thereof) was lacking and their motives suspect (everybody wants this, so I want this) as primarily political, which I believe in the matter of war is pretty despicable.
Posted by myr on June 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM · Report this
dirac 22
raindrop: you know what's more rude? war profiteering and lying to get a nation into war. [dan's actions encouraging support of the war are in no way comparable to this.]

it's not only rude, it's treasonous and they're lucky they get a public reception as nice as boos rather than gallows.
Posted by dirac on June 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM · Report this
@20, of course credulousness isn't fine. And it is absolutely a major problem here at SLOG. But you compared a person with great power manufacturing lies to create support for a war to a citizen believing those lies to voice support for the war.

What Savage did was to make a common mistake (which I hope he's learned from). What Rice did was simply evil. So, I still think it's a bad comparison.

I do think it's fair to compare Rice to Clinton, who is presently spouting hypocritical hyperbole and highly questionable assertions to garner support of our thoroughly illegal war in Libya.
Posted by LJM on June 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM · Report this
dirac 24
@23 I actually think Clinton is worse because it is hypocritical hyperbole. Her political pandering is so transparent it's disgusting.

At least Rice was a consistent war monger, regardless of her criminal methods.
Posted by dirac on June 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Roma 25
The Mayans predicted this would happen.
Posted by Roma on June 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM · Report this
raindrop 26
Let's not compare world politics with the expected behavior for polite society attending the performing arts. Booing anyone attending a performance is rude, Karl and Condi, Dan or Keith. Wouldn’t you agree that it’s great for all patrons (who would be adversaries otherwise) to enjoy a show in peace? Don’t you think the director and producer would like that polite devotion from everyone in the theater?

Booing is just about as rude as getting up to leave before the final curtain just to get a jump on the traffic and crowds.
Posted by raindrop on June 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM · Report this
@26 on that we agree - the booing is rude - save it for the rally or the public political appearance - it would have to be a pretty serious evil in the audience to make it okay with me at the theater - in which case it probably wouldn't pay to be seen booing :)
Posted by myr on June 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM · Report this
@23 I commented on a comment, I didn't directly and qualitatively compare them - nonetheless - one manufactured lies - the other, with a platform of some significance locally at least - accepted and promulgated on behalf of those lies, and did so without apparent scrutiny that might reasonably be expected of a person in that position. Dan is subject, in my opinion to greater accountability than an individual with an opinion - because he actively seeks to influence the opinion of others through the media - I'm not saying he's equal in responsibility to Karl Rove, Rice, Bush, Cheney - I never stated that - but I do think he's held to a higher standard and is fair game to criticize.
Posted by myr on June 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM · Report this
dirac 29
@26 Valid point that it's rude to others in the audience (or theatre cast) to boo. IMO, it's still not rude to boo war criminals. I don't care how obnoxious Code Pink is, they serve a purpose and recognize a responsibility that isn't fulfilled by other citizens in this country.
Posted by dirac on June 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM · Report this
dirac 30
@29 Also, I have to say: it's amazing to me that people are very concerned about manners and politeness and seem much less concerned that war criminals and murderers are allowed to walk free.
Posted by dirac on June 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM · Report this
@26 War criminals shouldn't be able to enjoy a show in peace. They shouldn't be able to enjoy anything but the cell where they're waiting to hang for their crimes.
Posted by redwulf25_ci on June 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM · Report this
So is this thing ever going to tour? Because the odds of me actually leaving a 2000 mile radius of Seattle in the next decade are quite slim.
Posted by Lack Thereof on June 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM · Report this
@32, the national tour opens in December in Trey and Matt's home state. Theaters around the country have to be salivating over this one.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Donolectic 34
Oh Raindrop, concern trolling for power mad Republicans against those boorish liberals calling them on their shit again?

I'm beginning to think this is a fetish and these comments are the only way you can get yourself off.
Posted by Donolectic on June 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Like who except a fatcat Stranger editor can afford a ticket to TBOM?
Posted by Weekilter on June 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM · Report this
venomlash 37
@35: Yup, the Libyan war which has killed exactly ZERO of our soldiers and has a clear objective, a war in which the oppressed people of the land called for international assistance against their despotic ruler. The one that there's no clear consensus as to its legality. That one.
Posted by venomlash on June 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM · Report this
Indeed, @37 (venomlash). I think people compare Libya and Iraq without a good appreciation of the details of each situation. A pity.

But then again, it's not all morality and legality in this kind of situation. When Russia invaded Abkhazia and South Ossetia, the Georgians -- hell, even their president in a TV broadcast -- asked for help and intervention. None came. Only negotiations, phone calls, talks, and Sarkozy.
Posted by ankylosaur on June 27, 2011 at 7:47 AM · Report this
Is it just me or is Savage Blog, the best sex-fun blog out there, turning into Savage Blog, a gay rights and theatre/media blog? The politics has been thick as thieves and the sex has been near-as dammit invisible of late.
Posted by seeker6079 on June 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Glimpse of Dan and Terry in NYC Gay Pride parade at 10 second mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt11KKiOM…
Posted by KCFrance on June 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM · Report this
venomlash 43
@42: But we haven't declared war, and the President IS the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and it is on his authority that they are deployed and commanded. Whether or not it is legal depends on the extent to which we are involved.
Not surprisingly, Democrats are defending President Obama's actions, while Republicans are having a cow and trying to raise issues.
Posted by venomlash on June 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM · Report this
venomlash 45
@44: It IS a war, between Gaddafi's government and the rebels based in Benghazi. We haven't declared war on anybody in Libya.
This is not a difficult concept, Alleged.
Posted by venomlash on June 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM · Report this
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on June 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM · Report this