Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rick Perry Compares the Battle for Civil Rights with the Tea Party

Posted by on Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM

In the second great Rick Perry video of the day, (seriously, go see the atrocious fielding of an abstinence question that Schmader posted in The Morning News) the Texas Governor explains that the fight for civil rights was a great thing, and that we're continuing that great work today with our battles for "freedom from over-taxation, freedom from over-litigation, freedom from over-regulation:"

I think as Perry gets on the road more, we're going to discover he does not excel at extemporaneous speaking.

(If I wore a hat, I'd tip it to Wonkette, but instead I will politely curtsey and lift the hem of my dress in their general direction.)

"Freedom from over-litigation" = "Surrendering your right to seek legal redress."
Posted by Proteus on August 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM · Report this
ago 2
...but not freedom to marry who we choose!
Posted by ago http://www.google.com/reader/shared/coolmoose09 on August 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Geni 3
Governor Goodhair has never been precisely the sharpest knife in the drawer, even a drawer full of butter knives.
Posted by Geni on August 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
If only there was some proof over the past few years that less regulation was bad, or could perhaps be an impetus for fraud, even hurt the economy instead of helping it...
Posted by hal on August 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM · Report this
If the gay special rights agenda can insult the memory of MLK by comparing their movement to his, I don't see how you folks can get offended by Perry doing so.
Posted by Seattleblues on August 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM · Report this
balderdash 6
Oh goddammit, it's Seattleblues. I was hoping for Raindrop, who is clearly the Batman of their Douchtastic Duo. With Sb it's all "Holy tu quoque fallacy, Batman, you fag liberals are stupider than whoever this post is criticizing SO THERE" and that's pretty much the entirety of the argument. Raindrop is entertaining.

Anyway I am wondering if this whole strategy of posting stupid shit that Perry says is going to work as well as it did with Palin and seemingly with Bachmann. As far as I can tell, based on the contextual pandering of whatever he says, he is aware of how stupid the shit he says is, and he just doesn't care. He knows his audience.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on August 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM · Report this
@6

And you have a pleasant day as well.

May I say, if I haven't already, how aptly you've named yourself?
Posted by Seattleblues on August 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM · Report this
COMTE 8
@1:

And "freedom from over-regulation" = "corporations can pour cubic tonnes of toxic shit into your water, soil and air, and there's not fuck you can do about it."
Posted by COMTE on August 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 9
What an asshole. It makes me want to build a gigantic hog rendering plant next to his summer home and equip it with fans directed at his patio. Then let him bitch and moan about freedom and regulation and litigation.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on August 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM · Report this
rob! 10
Is that bobblehead in the mousey brown dress his wife?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on August 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Did he just say "Amuricans have gone a long way from civil rights?"

Yes, yes we have, Governor. Once, we had more of them than we do now.
Posted by Bucktowner on August 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM · Report this
thelyamhound 12
If the gay special rights agenda can insult the memory of MLK by comparing their movement to his . . .

In what way are gays seeking special rights? Please be specific (if I'm responding to generalities, I can only make you look generally foolish, which is less fun for me, less entertaining for them, and . . . well, it might suit you fine, so I have no selling point there). Also, how does it insult MLK?

. . . I don't see how you folks can get offended by Perry doing so.

Fair enough. Arbitrarily assigning credibility to viewpoints based on our subjective ethical views does sound an awful lot like something you would do.
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on August 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM · Report this
The Third Rail 13
I like how he says, "Americans... need to know they can come to America" yada yada. Yes... Americans can come to America, but fuck, no more brown people!
Posted by The Third Rail on August 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM · Report this
"Over-taxation, over-litigation, over-regulation".... whose problems are these? These are the problems of rich people and the corporations they own and run. These are not my problems, nor are they the problems of the vast majority of people in this country. Most people suffer from things like under-remuneration of their labor, under-funded government services, and under-protection from predation. The rich should stuff it and be grateful for what they have, which is more than they deserve, instead of complaining that they aren't privileged enough.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on August 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM · Report this
Seattleblues is a troll. Stop feeding him.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on August 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM · Report this